• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stupid Zone inspector

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry if you took it as a "blast" at you. I was not criticizing anyone. I did not mean it that way at all. Just trying to be helpful and say what I was thinking. I did assume that you were surprised by the zone officers visit though(apparently wrong). I am glad that with a simple change in parking location, you are out of jeopardy with them.

Reactions: emr

Daneil

dm22630 said:
I called the Virginia Beach zoning dept after my last post & AFTER looking online at the VA beach code book online. I could not find anything that you had violated.....so I thought maybe the zoning dept would know. The zoning dept's solution to my question was to leave me on hold for 17 minutes with elevator music blasting in my ear before I hung up...question still unanswered.

What section of the code did you violate?
I've got it at the house somewhere. I did make a wrong statement though. It's not a ticket. Just notification to fix the problem. I did however get a ticket once for having a boat in my driveway. That's how I learned to stow stuff one inch behind the front facet of my house. Putting you on hold for long periods of time is normal here. I'm a firm believer that the City Gov. is corrupt.

Daneil

Daneil said:
dm22630 said:
I called the Virginia Beach zoning dept after my last post & AFTER looking online at the VA beach code book online. I could not find anything that you had violated.....so I thought maybe the zoning dept would know. The zoning dept's solution to my question was to leave me on hold for 17 minutes with elevator music blasting in my ear before I hung up...question still unanswered.

What section of the code did you violate?
I've got it at the house somewhere. I did make a wrong statement though. It's not a ticket. Just notification to fix the problem. I did however get a ticket once for having a boat in my driveway. That's how I learned to stow stuff one inch behind the front facet of my house. Putting you on hold for long periods of time is normal here. I'm a firm believer that the City Gov. is corrupt.
Had to go to court (criminal court) for a boat in my driveway. Lucky for me though, the judge was pretty level headed and threw it out. It's the guy across the street. He's a retired Officer. All he does is work on his yard and report people to the Zone nazi's. He's got a great yard. I will give him that. He's a @#$# and a !@#$. The man serves no purpose.

dm22630

Daneil said:
Had to go to court (criminal court) for a boat in my driveway. Lucky for me though, the judge was pretty level headed and threw it out. It's the guy across the street. He's a retired Officer. All he does is work on his yard and report people to the Zone nazi's. He's got a great yard. I will give him that. He's a @#$# and a !@#$. The man serves no purpose.

Throw some water balloons filled with weedkiller or bleach in his yard at night.....then see how pretty it is!

HAHAHAHA rofl

**** This is meant as a joke....PLEASE dont post 20 responses telling me how wrong and against the law that is **** ;)

jasonjc

Re: RE: Stupid Zone inspector

peecook said:
As a fellow Virginian, I got a 6x8 pink sticker on the side of my deuce a couple weeks ago. No vehicles over 5K lbs allowed in Henrico county neighborhoods. they threatened to tow it, so now she lives next to campers and boats at the local storage yard.
How do the police patol??? A Dodge Chager is 5500lbs gvwr. So no full size cars or pickups or god forbid you have a full size SUV :eek:

steelandcanvas

Re: RE: Stupid Zone inspector

peecook said:
As a fellow Virginian, I got a 6x8 pink sticker on the side of my deuce a couple weeks ago. No vehicles over 5K lbs allowed in Henrico county neighborhoods. they threatened to tow it, so now she lives next to campers and boats at the local storage yard.
5K# Maximum? Are the streets that wimpy? :roll: I thought a residential standard was about 10K#.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sounds like the inspector was just guessing his way through a list of infractions until he got to one that you didn't have a response for.

That irks me.

I wonder what we could find at his place.

rsh253

Daneil,

You have my simpathy. I hate HOAs. Within most cities, try finding a house built in the last 20 years that doesn't have a HOA. I don't think it is right for someone to keep their property like a dump and lower everyone else's property values; but I also have a hard time with someone telling a homeowner what they can and cannot not do with their own property. The real problem with most HOAs is people with a power complex and too much time on their hands get into control. I had a neighbor turn in a complaint on me because we put a cover over our koi pond to protect the koi during the winter. The guy had to look over my backyard fence to even see the cover! :cookoo: They tried to get me on having an unapproved structure in my back yard. But I was able to turn the tables on them because the CCRs referred to a permanet stucture, which this was not. This nosy neighbor needed to get a life and quit looking into my back yard. I wish I'd seen them looking over the fence one time and I would have decided to take a quick nude sunbath. :shock: That awful sight would have stopped them from ever looking into our backyard again! :lol:

-Russ

Im glad i live were i do. I can mark our MVs out front or in my driveway and they dont say much.. neighbors dont even mind. Now when they see a wrecker out front it might change notice lol

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had an issue in Pa when I lived there. Had a dog that thought a 4 foot chain link fence was something to be used for excercise on his way out of the yard (was a pit mix, so folks were intimidated by him anyway). I built a stockade fence 6' high and out of the same materials as the house (went as far as staining it to make it match). If you've ever dug a hole in N.E. Pa, you know the amount of work it took. Local HOA "officer" came by and threatened me with a $100.00 a day fine until it came down and I put the 4' fence back up. I went to the next meeting, told them the situation that my dog could jump a four foot fence, that neighborhood kids thought it a great time to antagonize the dog through the chain links until he DID jump the fence, but I would gladly pull down the stockade fence if they would sign the notice of legal responsibility stating that they were aware of the situation but since they were making me take the fence down they would be responsible for any injury or accident resulting thereafter. There was about a 5 minute discussion amongst the "board" before they decided to write in an exception for me. The new "by-law" stated the fence COULD be 6 feet high as long as it matched the house. (Even though the HOA president had a 16' chainlink fence around his property.

Now I ask if there is a HOA, and if there is, I don't buy.

kc8sfq

I find this very funny because I only have one M35 and have been asked if I am starting or a member of a militia twice since its been next to my garage.

I was in Lowe's one day with my M-37 and when I came back to my truck there was a city cop sitting behind me. He said they'd had a call that the Michigan Militia was in the parking lot, and wanted to know if I was a member. I told him that I found it interesting that I'd never been stopped by the militia and asked if I was a cop. Right after that, I got to show him ALL of the little cards in my wallet and most of what was in my glove box. He couldn't find anything big enough to ticket me for, but it was clear he wanted to.

bonshawman

In Florida, one of the statutes defines a "commercial vehicle" as "any vehicle with three or more axles". There is no provision for use, or consideration of vintage.

Three different Florida statutes define commercial vehicles in different ways. So one problem may be:

1) What any state statute defines commercial vehicle as
2) What your local jurisdiction defines commercial vehicle as

Some might use number of axles, some might use weight (tagged or gross), some might look to use (such as "in commerce/commercial"), some might have specifics concerning graphics or lettering (considered advertising), etc. There is no "one rule".

I live in an "unincorporated" part of the County, which simply means it is just the county - no other township or city. Some local jurisdictions are very strict about the types of vehicles.

They have zoning requirements regarding parking of vehicles, including RV's and boats.
They also have requirements about having a vehicle currently tagged.

In Florida, a former military vehicle does not have to DISPLAY the tag, but it needs to have one in the cab to produce upon request. To have a tag in Florida, insurance is mandatory.

My vehicles are all tagged (and titled) "private" and are so insured. They have no signs (except, of course, any military markings). I do not have any vehicle with more than two axles. Thus far, in nine years, I have had no problems w/code enforcement or with my neighbors (who are often the cause of a code enforcement visit....).

So, in Florida, a 712 Pinzgauer (3 axle) is considered "commercial", when a 710 (2 axle) is not. My (new) bobbed Deuce only has two axles - not commercial, but a regular Deuce (3 axles) - commercial.

These regulations were put in place by boards or commissions on the more county or local level, following public hearings. They have the power to enact such restrictive regulations. Their "purpose" is to protect the integrity of neighborhoods - I mean, if someone wanted to collect garbage trucks, would you want them parked next door in your development ? So it is not the intent, but probably more the application of the regulations that is an issue. My point is, what is enacted, can be thrown out - but it is a process. Just because enforcement has been lax, or inconsistent doesn't mean they can't enforce it against you.

There again, also sometimes it might be condition. Some of our "toys" are a bit more on the rough side that others. Some of my toys are too big to keep at my house, and I have to make other arrangements.

I agree that a bit of research invested in the front end might save a bit of anxiety on the back end. Sometimes it is hard to obtain a straight answer. I personally think there is too much management in our lives these days - and the focus is on the petty not the important.

Best of luck in your situation - maybe there is a way to prevail against the "man"....

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Offroadfabworks said:
Im glad i live were i do. I can mark our MVs out front or in my driveway and they dont say much.. neighbors dont even mind. Now when they see a wrecker out front it might change notice lol

I used to feel the same way until my wife saw the Deuce parked out in front of the house.........that ended that.

Now I'm building a 48x80x14 building to put everything in.

steve

Jakob

I used to live in Norfolk and VA Beach... that whole state is messed up, but ESPECIALLY over there. I don't miss that place at all. I had a sports car out there and I once got pulled over and harassed simply because of the type of car I drove. He took about 10-15 looking over, measuring and inspecting every inch of the car. It was bone stock and he was trying to ticket me for improer headlights, aftermarket exhaust and something about the stock spoiler obstructing my rear vision. The judge gave the cop a very piercing glare before throwing it out.

miltruckman

You may or may not have a good resolution to the zoning issue.

I had a similar experience in my small town. In Birch Run, MI. I live next to one of the village council members. She and her brother are two of the five council members in our town. I store my M342 truck in my garage but she still dislikes its existence. Three or four times a year I used to drive my truck around our block stopping in the parallel parking in front of my house to pick up and drop off the kids when giving them rides. We also take the truck in the parade on the fourth of July. I saw in the newspaper that there was a proposed ordinance to control the access of trucks in our town so I thought I would attend the meeting. I filled out the paperwork to get on the "agenda" as you are not allowed to speak at the meeting without asking ahead of time. At the meeting they said the ordinance would make it illegal to drive any truck with more that two axles on any street except main street(I live on main street), and would ban all vehicles with more that two axles from parking on any street. There would be an exception to the rules for moving and delivery trucks. I then ask if they would make an exception for classic vehicles? The president of the council said, why would they make an exception for only one person. I said " It would not be for only one person but anyone with a "classic" vehicle with more that two axles. He said since I was the only person with a classic vehicle with more than two axles they would not consider the exception. He then said that he didn't think I should be allowed to have a vehicle this size in town and they would approach the zoning board to see if they could make me get rid of it. I have the zoning and ordinance books(I had to pay for them) and there is currently no rule by the zoning commision or the village ordinances to prevent my owning and storing it on my property. It is against the law to have more that three pets, or three cars, or store an unliscensed vehicle outside, but non of these apply. So I stated that I had owned the truck and stored it in my garage for the last ten years and since my wife was an attorney my legal services would be free, unlike the villages. So go ahead and try to make me get rid of it. I never heard anything after that. But the lesson is that in a city or town they can pass any rule/ordnance they want if they have the votes. Then you are in the wrong if you don't follow their new rules. Maybe I should run for the town council!

Bill
Michigan

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
I played thoses games in Colorado Springs all the time, Joe/CrashAF knows what I mean. Now that im back in the great state of NC I havent had a problem. In fact Barney Fife stopped by yesterday and talked to me and the wife for a hour or so while on patrol about my MV and his new Willys he just got.

FormerNewMVGuy

All these storie's make me sick! So much for livin in a free country. I guess i better stay up here in the woods where nobody bothers me, course if they do bother me i'm usually wailin on the side of their head shortly there after!! I'm so sick of court ordered anger managment!

Daneil

That seems to be the new American way. Land of the free where you can live the way you want. Unless we don't like what your views are and what you drive and if your against what we think so on and so forth.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks