• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stupid Zone inspector

flygirl

Just seeing this for the first time. The Inspector bagged someone else I know for his two Deuces in Falls Church, VA. One was parked in the street in front of his house; the other in his driveway. He was fined $100 per truck, but fought the tix. He actually ended up with 3 tix total. Won on the two tix. Think he went back to DMV and got the weight reduced on the trucks, but ended up having to park them elsewhere. Inspector pops by every now & then looking for the trucks. Someone in the neighbourhood is obviously calling it in.aua

jemfca

I live out in chesapeake and havnt had any issues . I park mine in the driveway every day. where are you in virginia beach? I've been looking for some more ss'rs in the hampton roads area.

ptg530C

Get the jacka$$'s name off of the ticket and file a lawsuit against him in civil court for harrasment. I will bet the code is not "codified law" and if so then has no teeth.

BEASTMASTER

no trucks over 5k lds. huh? every 3/4 ton p/u truck made wieghs at least 6k lds. count the p/us' in the nieghborhood and tell the inspector to start writing ??

JBT

Virginia Beach City Code

Sec. 16-40. - Open storage of inoperable vehicles on residential, commercial or agricultural property.
(a)
It shall be unlawful whether as owner, tenant, occupant, lessee or otherwise, for any person, firm or corporation to keep, except within a fully enclosed building or structure or otherwise shielded or screened from view, on any property zoned for residential, commercial or agricultural purposes, any vehicle, which is inoperable. As used in this Section, notwithstanding any other provisions of the law, general or special, "shielded or screened from view" means not visible by someone standing at ground level from outside of the property on which the subject vehicle is located. The placing, draping or securing of a tarpaulin or other nonrigid cover, over and around an inoperable vehicle shall not be sufficient to comply with the requirements of this section.
(b)
As used in this Section, an "inoperable vehicle," shall mean any motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer, as defined in Code of Virginia, section 46.2-100:
(1)
Which is not in operating condition; or
(2)
Which for a period of sixty (60) days or longer has been partially or totally disassembled by the removal of tires and wheels, the engine or other essential parts required for operation of the vehicle; or
(3)
On which there are displayed neither valid license plates nor a valid inspection decal.
(c)
Any person violating any provision of this section shall be given a notice that the keeping of such inoperable vehicle constitutes a violation which must be abated within seven (7) days from the date of such notice. The notice shall (1) reasonably describe the subject inoperable vehicle; (2) state that any owner of such inoperable vehicle or any owner of property upon which such inoperable vehicle is located may appeal the decision that the vehicle is in violation of this section by a written notice of appeal with the code enforcement administrator of the department of housing and neighborhood preservation within seven (7) days from the date of the notice; (3) state that failure to comply with the requirements of this Section may result in the removal and disposal of the vehicle ; (4) state that such removal and disposal shall be at the expense of the owner of such inoperable vehicle or the owner of the property upon which such vehicle is located; and (5) state that an administrative fee in the amount of one hundred fifty dollars ($150.00) shall be chargeable to and paid by the owner of such inoperable vehicle or the owner of the property upon which such vehicle is located and may be collected as taxes and levies are collected.
(d)
Service of the notice provided for in subsection (c) shall be by first-class mail, personal delivery or posting in a conspicuous place. The owner shall, for purposes of this Section, be defined as the owner of the inoperable vehicle, or if the owner of the inoperable vehicle cannot be ascertained or readily located, the owner of the property. The Code Enforcement Administrator and inspectors of the Department of Housing and Neighborhood Preservation are hereby authorized to deliver or post such notices.
(e)
Failure of any person to place such inoperable vehicle into a fully enclosed structure, to screen or shield such vehicle from view as set forth in subsection (a) above, or to remove such vehicle, or render such vehicle operable within the time prescribed in subsection (c) above shall constitute a Class 3 misdemeanor. In addition to any penalties imposed hereunder, code enforcement administrator or his designee may institute legal action to enjoin the continuing violation and may request that the Chief of Police or his designee remove and dispose of such inoperable vehicle as provided in subsections 16-41(c)—(h).
Should the cost of removal and disposal exceed the proceeds of sale as outlined in subsection (e) above, the additional cost of any such removal and disposal shall be chargeable to the owner of the inoperable vehicle or of the property and may be collected by the city as taxes and levies are collected; and every cost authorized by this section with which the owner of the property has been assessed shall constitute a lien against the property from which the inoperable vehicle was removed, the lien to continue until actual payment of such costs has been made to the city.​
(f)
The owner or his agent may, at any time from the date of removal, up to and including the twentieth day of storage, claim such vehicle upon payment of towing, preservation and storage charges.
(g)
The provisions of this section shall not apply to any business duly licensed to deal in the buying, selling, storing or disassembling of motor vehicles, trailers or semitrailers, or the temporary storage of motor vehicles, trailers or semitrailers awaiting repairs, or any motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer which is designed or used primarily for agricultural or horticultural purposes and which is kept upon a farm or other property principally used for such purposes.
(h)
Any owner of an inoperable vehicle or owner of property upon which such vehicle is located aggrieved of a decision made pursuant to this section may appeal such decision as set forth in subsection (c) above. The Code Enforcement Administrator or his designee shall schedule a hearing of such appeal on a date not later than ten (10) business days after the filing of the appeal; provided, however, that such hearing may, at the discretion of the Code Enforcement Administrator or his designee, be rescheduled for good cause shown. Enforcement proceedings otherwise permitted under this Section shall be stayed during the pendency of such appeal.
(Ord. No. 2903, 12-13-05; Ord. No. 3018, 5-13-08)

Municode

JBT

Just seeing this for the first time. The Inspector bagged someone else I know for his two Deuces in Falls Church, VA. One was parked in the street in front of his house; the other in his driveway. He was fined $100 per truck, but fought the tix. He actually ended up with 3 tix total. Won on the two tix. Think he went back to DMV and got the weight reduced on the trucks, but ended up having to park them elsewhere. Inspector pops by every now & then looking for the trucks. Someone in the neighbourhood is obviously calling it in.aua
Falls Church City Code:

Sec. 26-9. - Unlicensed vehicles, boats and trailers on streets.
(a)
It shall be unlawful for any person to park any motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer on any street in the city unless same shall have displayed valid license plates, a valid state inspection certificate or sticker and a valid city sticker, when such vehicle is, by law, required to display a city sticker or state inspection certificate or sticker.
(b)
It shall be unlawful for any person to park any boat or boat trailer on any street in a residentially zoned district in the city.
(c)
Any motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer, boat or boat trailer parked on the streets of the city in violation of the provisions of this section may be removed at the expense of the owner and disposed of in the same manner as prescribed in section 26-8
(Code 1973, § 21-10; Code 1982, § 20-9; Ord. No. 885; Ord. No. 952)
State law reference— Authority of city to provide for removal and disposition of unattended and abandoned vehicles, Code of Virginia, § 46.2-1201.​
Sec. 26-10. - Prerequisites to leaving vehicle in street or parking lot.
No person having control or charge of a motor vehicle shall allow such vehicle to stand on any street or parking lot unattended without first effectively setting the handbrake, stopping the motor and, on public streets, turning the front wheels into the curb or side of the street.​

Sec. 26-14. - Commercial vehicles on residential streets.
(a)
Definitions. The following words, terms and phrases, when used in this section shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this subsection, except where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:
Commercial vehicle shall include any motor vehicle upon which is displayed or painted any sign which identifies or advertises any business or commercial venture of any kind, and any other motor vehicle which is used primarily in any business or commercial venture of any kind, when such use is apparent to observation and shall include, but not be limited to, taxicabs, tow trucks, tractors, tractor-trailers, delivery, service and repair vehicles and dump trucks.
Residential district shall include only those areas zoned R-1A, R-1B, R-C, R-M and R-TH established under the provisions of chapter 48, pertaining to zoning.​
(b)
It shall be unlawful for any person to park any commercial vehicle on any street in a residentially zoned district in the city; provided that a commercial vehicle may be parked on such a street for not more than eight hours within any 24-hour period while loading or unloading or while the custodian of the commercial vehicle is performing services at a residence or site adjacent to the street upon which the commercial vehicle is parked.
(c)
Any commercial vehicle parked in violation of the terms of this section may be removed at the expense of the owner and disposed of in the same manner as prescribed in section 26-8

Sec. 26-8. - Removal and disposition of unattended or abandoned vehicles.
(a)
Whenever any motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer is:
(1)
Found on the streets of the city or public grounds, which vehicle is unattended by the owner or operator and constitutes a hazard to traffic or is parked in such manner as to be in violation of law;
(2)
Left unattended for more than 48 hours upon any street or publicly owned property or upon any privately owned property other than the property of the owner of such motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer, within the city; or
(3)
Abandoned upon such privately owned property without the permission of the owner, lessee or occupant regardless of whether it was brought onto the private property with the consent of the owner or person in control of the private property;

It shall be presumed that the motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer, or part thereof, is abandoned if:
(1)
It lacks:
a.
A current license plate;
b.
A current city sticker; or
c.
A valid state inspection certificate or sticker; and
(2)
It has been in a specific location for ten days without being moved.

Sec. 48-931. - Single-family residences excepted.
The various provisions of this division, with the exception of the specific use requirements in sections 48-898, 48-932 through 48-935, 48-938, 48-939 and 48-941(2), shall not apply to residential spaces and aisles provided accessory to and on the same property as any single-family residence or townhouse for the exclusive use of the residents of that property; provided, further, that such accessory residential parking spaces comply with the following requirements:​
(1)
No more than four vehicles are to be parked on any one property.
(2)
No more than one vehicle with an open or enclosed bed for hauling service, and designed to carry, handle, transport and/or move goods or perform services in commerce, industry or trade, but not including passenger cars, station wagons, or similar types and sizes of vehicles that are designed to haul passengers, as provided by section 48-237(1), shall be parked on any one property, and when so parked such vehicle must be within a fully enclosed private garage.

Municode

DeucesWild11

I checked my local code before purchasing. That's how I wound up with a bobbed deuce. They have a weight and length limit on Commercial Vehicles. However I registered it as Historical so I think I could get around that anyway.. The neighbors actually like it though.. even the ones I don't care for that much.. One told me the other day "I heard you out on maneuvers last night" that was cool!

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a fellow Virginian, I got a 6x8 pink sticker on the side of my deuce a couple weeks ago. No vehicles over 5K lbs allowed in Henrico county neighborhoods. they threatened to tow it, so now she lives next to campers and boats at the local storage yard.
So what do they do about a chevy or ford or Dodge 1 ton truck? Or an M37? Or even, god forbid, a fully loaded caddy?

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reminds me of the ol' guy looking to rent an apartment. A sign in front read "No vehicles over 1 ton" "Heck, my Cadillac weighs more than that" he sez.

m816

If it has to be registered and insure in order to park it at your home, then just submit and do it. I live in a up scale town and I presently have three five tons acouple deuces a step van and a flat bed tow truck. only one is unregistered (but it is hidden pretty well) I have great neighbors and railroad tracks on the otherside. I'm pretty sure anyone who knows of me in town thinks I'm nuts but no one has complained ever. One neighbor got a little bent when I used the needle scaller for five days straight but that is the extent of it. I guess I'v been luck. I live in NJ and for all the complaints about NJ so far it isn't as bad as some of you guys have it. We hope to move to up state NY but that has been postponed due to the wife's health. I also have two Mutts and a water buffallo that I forgot to add.

flygirl

JBT: Thank you for this information. I do know that the Deuces were registered w/antique plates; and to answer EMD567's question on the M37: I live within a condo association with numerous rules and have not had any notices placed on my M37 which, by the way was registered as a historical vehicle. However, I bet if I were to do some stenciling, the association would deem it a commercial vehicle. :driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks