• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Suburban K20/CUCV M1008 morphing project

Adamlee

Hey folks...

Maybe you saw that earlier thread I posted asking about this idea I had of dropping a Sub "tub" on a CUCV (LWB K30) frame & chassis.

After some discussion & reality checking, I've come to the conclusion that I'll keep the eyes peeled for a decent K20-chassis Sub that is already a 6.2, that way all the physical plumbing and wiring unique to the 6.2 diesel will already be in place.

Now, that means I can just yank a tired old civvy 6.2 and drop a low-mile or gov't rebuild oil-burner in there, and make life a bit simpler. Also, yea, just swapping out leaf packs/hangers/diffs/etc, and rolling the one-ton CUCV goodies beneath will be a helluva lot easier as well.

So THAT'S all good....

What I wanted to know about, was if the folks here could link me to a decent webpage that provides original factory info and specs on the "dieselized" 6.2 Chev/GMC Suburbans from 1982-1987....I wanted to find out (for the purpose of modifying a two-tank WVO/biodiesel system) what capacities the dual tanks had in the stock Subs back then; and what factory optional tanks were available. Plus, just looking for some general photo shots of original Subs 82-87.

The Dream Machine Sub...."WVO Warrior"

Barn Doors out back!
Seating for seven!
Room for my veggie oil drums, ammo boxes, gun cases, survival gear in back!
Dual a/c for my tender constitution!
One-ton diffs, with reverse steering geometry up front!
6" lift, using stock one-ton springs somehow!
Banks turbo spooling up a 6.2 WVO burner!
Lots of Hella H4 lights!
Mile Marker hydraulic winch!
And finally, either a military tan or military OD green paint job.

That's all I want! :shock: When's my birthday again? :roll:

Adam Lee

mangus580

Not sure of any specific sites... but I can give you a little info...

'Burbs never had dual tanks. The vintage you are looking at, used a 40 gallon tank.

K10 'Burbs had corporate 10 bolt axles like the blazers.
K20 'Burbs had a coprorate 10 bolt front, and a 14 bolt rear. Year depending, the rear would be a full floater or a semi.

'Burbs most likely had a 700R4 overdrive if they had a 6.2, although it was possible to get a TH400 in them as well.

Although, all this said... How much do you intend to invest? I have seen one already converted for sale. Kenny might know the guys name....

AJMBLAZER

RE: Re: RE: Suburban K20/CUCV M1008 morphing project

www.ColoradoK5.com will have good info for these things. There's quite a few 'Burb owners on there. Even a mini forum for them.

Half ton burbs will have the TH700R4 for an auto or the SM465 for a stick. 3/4 tons will have the TH400 auto or the SM465 stick. That is unless someone has done a swapper-roo in the last 20 odd years.
ONLY 1991 Suburban 3/4 tons will have the 4L80E auto trans...but they're rare as GM and most buyers sorta waited for the new body style in '92.

I wouldn't recommend trying to get 6" of lift out of the stock 1-ton springs. Several of the lift makers have heavy duty spring packs as an option to the softer and flexier packs they commonly sell. I'd go with an aftermarket pack meant to be that tall.
In the rear you could probably do a 4" shackle flip and a 1" zero rate to recenter the axle. Then either use the stock springs and see how they sit or a 2" leaf pack back there.
How big of a tire do you want to run? You can fit 35's with 4" of lift and minor trimming.

Bear in mind that a CUCV pickup's 14FF rear axle won't bolt right in under a 'Burb. Spring pads will have to be moved...I think the shock mounts are okay.

Keep in mind they made these Suburbans in to 1991 so you have a few more years to choose from.

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I've seen Rick's "M1007" suburban. NICE! He's the man to talk to, and God Bless him, he answers all my questions about Cucvs.

res0wc18

only two wheel drive 3/4 ton suburbans with the big block came with the 14 bolts. The four by models came with the 12 bolts. it wasnt possible to get a 3/4ton big block four by model as it would have pushed the weight past the maximum gvwr allowed. I wanted one of these that didnt exist and after checking with three different dealers and finally calling gm customer satisfaction they told me what i just told you.

parker

AJMBLAZER

Re: RE: Re: RE: Suburban K20/CUCV M1008 morphing project

res0wc18 said:
only two wheel drive 3/4 ton suburbans with the big block came with the 14 bolts. The four by models came with the 12 bolts.
Incorrect, the 3/4 tons all had a 14 bolt rear end. Either a 14FF or 14SF depending on the year and GVWR.
The 12 bolts were only used under half tons until about 1980 or when the stocks dried up.

it wasnt possible to get a 3/4ton big block four by model as it would have pushed the weight past the maximum gvwr allowed. I wanted one of these that didnt exist and after checking with three different dealers and finally calling gm customer satisfaction they told me what i just told you.

parker
You sure? A 6.2L diesel weighs more than a big block and there were definitely 3/4 ton 4x4 Burbs with the diesels.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Suburban K20/CUCV M1008 morphing project

You sure? A 6.2L diesel weighs more than a big block and there were definitely 3/4 ton 4x4 Burbs with the diesels.
3/4 ton burbs had the 14bolt FF until 1981 when the semi floater came about. From then on it was the GVW which determined FF or SF. 12 bolts were used up until 1980 in the rear of half tons. 1981 started the 10 bolt rear usage. There were no 3/4 ton big block burbs produced by GM in the 73 to 91 series however it wasn't weight that made that determination, it was driveline limitations. Too bad GM didn't produce a 1 ton burb. Oh, there were also half ton 4x4 burbs with the 6.2 as well.

CCATLETT1984

Re: RE: Re: RE: Suburban K20/CUCV M1008 morphing project

parker
the fully dressed big block acctually weighs just slightly less than the 6.2L

Chevy big block V8 685 Mark IV
6.2L diesel V8 ~700 J

AJMBLAZER

Like I said, "A 6.2L diesel weighs more than a big block and there were..."

Heh, the forestry service in SoCal was selling off their Burbs about 7-8 years ago and claimed each and every one of them were 1 tons...I knew some REALY pissed off people who showed up only to find striper model 3/4 tons...

Crash_AF

Recovry4x4 said:
There were no 3/4 ton big block burbs produced by GM in the 73 to 91 series
I believe this is incorrect. According to several sources online, the 454 was available in 3/4 ton Subs from 73-91.

The handiest I've found to quote ATM is car-part.com which lists the 350, 6.2 and 454 as options during that period.

Later,
Joe

res0wc18

there were two wheel drive big blocks, but not a big block four by model in those years, im looking at a big block tbi 1990 model right now in the garage. it is the silverado trim with dual ac and its a two wheel drive. But knowing chevy they probally slapped in whatever was laying around. That is just what i was told. they didnt put the diesels with the 14 bolts because of the weight. They didnt make a four by big block because no intrest was expressed in their surveys.But then again, chevy has no real guidlines as weve all agreed before the only models that you were sure what you paid for is what you got are the military contracts.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I see my mistake. That caption should have said 4x4 big block burbs not 3/4 ton. Lots of 3/4 ton big blocks just no 4x4 big block burbs. Several dealers were offering big block burbs and it was done similar to a COPO option. Dealers were installing new 454s for the guy that just had to have it. I was part of a group of a few dealerships that lobbied GM to build a big block burb. In 86 I just gave up and ordered a big block 4x4 1 ton. Now with all that said, I'll bet my bottom dollar that some execs from GM did have some built for their buddies and family members.

AJMBLAZER

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Suburban K20/CUCV M1008 morphing pro

res0wc18 said:
they didnt put the diesels with the 14 bolts because of the weight.
They made many diesel burbs 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton, both 4x4 and 2wd with the 14FF or 14SF rear end.

res0wc18

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Suburban K20/CUCV M1008 morphing

if they did i have never seen one in my life. Got a picture, youve got me intrigued.

parker

AJMBLAZER

Just go find a diesel powered 3/4 ton 'Burb.

The 14 bolt, either SF or FF, is the ONLY rear axle GM has ever put under them since 1973. There was never an 8-lug 12 bolt (be kinda self defeating), the Dana 70 was only used in 73-91 dually pickups, and the Eatons were only used before '73. Even 00+ 3/4 ton Burbs get the modern version of the 14 bolt.

I think someone gave you some bad information many moons ago.

Here's one with a 14SF:
14SF

Might be a 14FF under those hub caps but probably a 14SF...it's purty anyways:
14FF?

res0wc18

i was in puyallup and looked at this rig and it is a 12 bolt. Anyone have any pics of the diffs? this was round and had 12 cover bolts semi floating.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks