• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sunday winching gone wrong...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the guy that is doing this job, said he owns a crane, and he said he will hook me up with some new cable from his supplier.

The new cable that was on my winch, was NOS mil spec surplus, for a 5 ton front winch.

I also have a few local connections for rigging supplies.

spicergear

No sir, I was not.

I posted this, to both learn/teach, and entertain. All troubleshooting is appreciated. (Spicergears comments confirmed my thoughts on the level winder/cable breaking issue, completely).
I'll try to get a picture of the extended stops I made up for my level wind set up tonight. I actually have my stops set so that the trolly stops about 3/4" (iirc) from where the cable would be winding up against the side of the spool. So the cable drives the cable over to the spool that last rotation, then it wants to immediately change direction. The factory set up *may* be able to swap onto a larger winch so the stops are not set specifically...but whatever the reason...longer stops should be installed so the level wind can do its job like it was designed to do.

dmetalmiki

Seconded

I absalutely agree with "Exuse Me,s" comments. As ( Any body,- A freind , (in need is a Freind Indeed))

And I, ( and others I'm sure ) wait with great interest (and anticipation) for detailed pictures of the " winch wind" stops modification. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Think someone mentioned this before, but a mirror on a magnet would be nice. Could set it up to see the cable being wrapped on the drum from the cab. One of those "I need to do that, but haven't yet ideas"

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So glad nobody got injured.
Have you ever adjusted the end stops on the level wind?
I use a winch equipped with one on a regular basis and woud not consider using it without the level winder and tension device.
But as with any equipment, improper operation (for what ever reason) can be more dangerous.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was not aware of the adjustment on the stops. I am definitely going to figure that out before using the level winder again.

Is there anyone with a 809 series truck that could give me some front PTO shaft measurements. I'm going to have this one fixed, but I am unsure of its original length(the break is ugly and the bend has me questioning it's original length).

The PTO end of my shaft(slip joint end) is out of the slip joint. The winch end is still connected to the shaft.

If someone could give me a length from the center of the front U-joint, back to the end of the shaft(where it splined shaft begins, it would be much appreciated.

Here is a picture of a PTO shaft. What I need is the distance between the 2 red arrows.

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It worked excellent! Thanks

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Some of us have been preaching WINCH SAFTY for years with DH one of the LOUDEST and things still go wrong, just think of the DESASTER that could have happened, now PICTURE some of these NEW KNOW IT ALL work the winch from the winch ect. guys in DHs place, not a pleasant picture.

Hasbeen

doghead,
It appears that hard work and perserverance carried the day.:beer:
Regarding your driveline damage and request for dimension, I would add to the equation the actual measurement of your truck from pto shaft to winch shaft. I`m not trying to get in your business, except that when I was building drivelines it was not at all uncommon to build them with a specific tube length and still have a misfit. The reasons were due to multiple options on spline length, or slip yoke length that may have been used in the past if it had been repaired.
Again, great thread, thanks for sharing.

Hasbeen

LanceRobson

Eric, it was kind of tough trying to measure to the U joint by myself but my shaft is 65" between the welds where the yoke end and spine end shoulders are. What do you think-add 1/2" for the portion under the welds? there's a foar amount of leeway due to the overall length of the spline versus what is exposed.

If it can wait until tomorrow evening I'll use some spring clamps to hold the tape in place and get it to the U joint center.

Lance

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree, a total length measurement would also be helpful, to confirm.

Thanks, Hasbeen.

Actually, Thank you to all who have posted. This is a great site, with great helpful members.

Titanium-Wolverine

Doghead,,,,,,,

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/auxillary-equipment/76166-winch-off-deuce.html

you did not have to experiment,,,,I believed you!:razz:

This site is great,,,,you ask a question about wiches and breaking strenths and the mods here go out of their way and start snapping cables just to give a visual reference.......

YOU GUYS ARE TOO COOL!

Now doghead,,,,how much strain can you put on a transmission before it snaps.......:mrgreen:

------------------
just out of curiosity,,,,in the first set of pics,,,are you the OLD CRANKY LOOKING FELLA

Last edited:

rickf

I have operated a lot of rentals and the ones with long sticks are the worse. They put a long stick on a machine with hydraulics rated for a standard setup and it just don't happen. If that had been a properly rated setup he could have gotten himself out with little trouble. I have used long sticks that have so little power that you have to drag the loaded bucket most of the way back before you can raise it. I called the rental company and told then to come get the piece of crap and called a different company for a replacement. I was using the replacement when they came for the other one. The next time I needed a long stick the original company made **** sure I got a matched unit. They lost a LOT of money on the first deal. I was actually doing similar work clearing out irrigation ponds. You do not want to get too close! On one job the farmer was moving the muck from where I dumped it with his backhoe and got a little too close and started sliding nose first towards the pond, luckily he had the presence of mind to drive the bucket into the ground to stop him from going in and then inchwormed himself out with the hoe.
Eric, Good thing I didn't know you were an operator when we met at Gilbert, could have bs'ed about mud and holes for hours!:razz:

Rick

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
just out of curiosity,,,,in the first set of pics,,,are you the OLD CRANKY LOOKING FELLA
No, that is my next door neighbor. He is 81 and served in the Air Force from 51-54. He likes my MV stuff and often comes over to see my newest purchase or what I am fixing. He followed us down to the channel, to look the situation over. His experience/suggestions have helped me more than once...

So, that makes me the young good looking fella on the right.

Last edited:

rickf

When an old guy like that tells you to do something a certain way and you don't and it does not work...................... They will not say I told you so, they will just stand there looking at you with a smile on their face. That is ten times worse than the "I told you so". :razz:
Chances are good that those old guys have forgotten more than you will ever know so be sure to listen up when they talk.

Rick

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is visible in post 1, pic 8. That's the side it built up on also. I'll look it over closer tomorrow. Is there mention of adjustment in a TM?