• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Super-Single spare tire swing/gate mount!

215Dave

I have a 395/85/R20 Goodyear MVT on a stock deuce wheel mounted in the stock location. All it took was about one hour with a recip saw and rat-tail file. I trimmed the rear tool box support arm by cutting away some of the rear flange material. I trimmed a small amount of the inboard bottom edge of the steel mud flap. I elongated the front keyhole slot where the spare tire holder bolts to the spare tire winch. You have to elongate enough so the tire does not hit the parking brake drum. You also have to use the outboard end of the rear keyhole slot so a big washer under the nut is called for there. I have about an inch of clearance to the brake drum and about an inch to the front-rear tire. it does scrub very lightly on left turns where the front rear axle shifts to the right but no problem. I have had it that way for several months and many miles, both on and off road. I did replace the winch cable with new as the original was dicey.
Id love to see some pics of this mod. Wide side shot of the spare shoehorned in there and some close ups detailing where/ and how the mods were made. :-D

eagle4g63

Id love to see some pics of this mod. Wide side shot of the spare shoehorned in there and some close ups detailing where/ and how the mods were made. :-D
Some where I had some pics........got rid of that the truck I had it on.....I'll check with tmamerica and see if he still has any pics of his mounted......

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some pics of someone else's mods are posted on the link in post 25 below. If those don't do it for you, let me know and I will take some pics of my version. BTW, that thread below talks about leaving the spare deflated to gain clearance between it and the road tire. I do not do that. I have 30-40 psi in my spare all the time. I do have a wide shot to show now.

Attachments

215Dave

VPed,

Thanks! I had trouble there finding the spare tire in that pic. I was...uh, um, very distracted. A lot going on in that pic. Very beautiful! To achieve this, what did you do differently? I'm assuming you've looked at all the pics in the above posted thread. Maybe just post pics of what separates (the differences) your mod from the others... Very cool though. I'm going take a bunch of measurements. Gotta get creative! [thumbzup]

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quite frankly, I had not read the thread before I did mine (search did not work well). A tap measure seemed to indicate it would be close but might work so I started by hanging the large spare on. I could see the interference with the tool box support right away and it did seem all I would need was the width of the flange so I cut it away. I hung the tire again and saw I was good with the road tire clearance but then saw the brake drum. Went to town on the keyhole slot until I had enough clearance there. Then I saw the interference with the mudflap so out came the recip saw again. If I were doing it again, I would not slot the keyhole but just drill a new hole (round) where it need to be. I'll get some pics of that for you.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are the pics. I like to carry around a cooler on top of the spare, bungied to the frame and mud flap. It is easier to get a beverage from there than crawling in the back and the get bounce around much less. That pic shows the clearance to the road tire with the front rear axle pushed somewhat to the right. The picture of the winch shows that the front slot is about twice as long as it used to be but like I said, I would just drill a hole in that spot, much easier. I want to make a larger plate for the washer side but haven't done so yet.

Attachments

I love this site, I was looking to mount my 46" spare also. I came across a picture that mikew had posted of a truck they built "artic truck" and noticed they had mounted a 46" in the stock location. When I asked, his reply was "On the A3's they put a piece of C-channel behind the stock spare tire mount (the same spare tire mount as on your A2) as a spacer. The channel is the same width as the spare tire mount and about 3" thick. The spare tire mount is welded to the C-channel and the channel is bolted to the frame. We just took the A3 mount and moved it towards the rear a little, don't recall how much. It's all pretty close, but there is clearance." Below is a picture of the "artic truck" that caught my eye. Thank you again mikew
DSC_1127.jpg

welldigger

Hmm, I like the idea of having the tire in the stock location. Repo, is your truck still 6x6? If so, can you post up some close up pics? Cause on a bobber the rear axle is also usually moved backwards giving more room.

Ford Mechanic

Fixing to do something about my spare now seeing as I now have one. I'm also running on 395's but I don't like the look of it in the stock location. I plan on putting it somewhere in the bed secured or loose at this point I don't know. But I do need a method to get into and out of the bed so I have aquired a spare tire davit from a 5 ton truck as my starting point. I'm really likeing the idea someone had for making a swivel mount that temporarily installed in a hitch. Or mabey a quick disconnect of some sort in the bed for the davit. That way I could use it for more than just spare deployment. Just looking to see anyone else's ideas or input.

Just some ideas I'm throwing out here. My other deuce I had I upgraded to the A3 tires and wheels. I did not want the spare tire under the bed. What I did was to purchase a bed mounted hoist, from Northern tool. I fabbed a pedistal tall enought to lift the a3 tire over the side of the bed. I then fabbed a spare tire mount in the bed. I used Channel iron and mounted an a2 hub to it. I installed 3 rh wheel studs and 3 lh wheels studs in the hub before bolting it to the channel. Then I always had 3 spare lug nuts if I ever needed one.
The channel was then bolted to the bulkhead of the truck with the tire uprite as mounted on the vehicle. Fit up pretty nice when I was done. I never took any pictures of it and sold that truck off two years ago. Now this truck i am driving presently, I am going to use the 395 tires with the MRAP wheels. I am thinking of sliding the bed back and using a spare tire assembly from a 5 ton. Don't know if anyone else has done this but I think it may be less painful changing a 395 tire. I have also installed a 48" job box in the bed by the bulkhead. That I'm going to need and I dont want to take it back out for the spare so the 5 ton spare tire set up I think is the way to go for me.
Have a good week metalworker393

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks