• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Supplies for a Long Trip

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to be picking up my very first Deuce in less than 2-months and am trying to plan for the retrieval trip. I will be flying to the truck so I can't carry a lot of things I have considered after reading posts on this site (no CO2 extingisher to stick in the truck's intake should the engine decide to runaway on the trip & no anchor in case the brakes go out on a hill since the engine doesn't do braking itself). I was hoping you knowledgeable M35 gurus could give me some hints on what to take that I could carry in my check on suite case.

So far, I am thinking these items:
1. Adjustable wrench - Large.
2. Screwdriver - Flat & Phillips.
3. Duct Tape - adhere, protect, or encase.
4. GPS - Traveling unfamiliar roads.
5. Inverter - Powering GPS. - I'm planning to stop at the first auto-parts store I pass & pick up a 12vdc car battery to run the inverter since I don't want to mess with any wiring on the truck until I get it home. Plus extra battery can be added to my windmill at home.
6. Flashlight - Just in case I need to see in the dark on the side of the road at night.
7. Work gloves.
8. 30-ft of paracord - the unknown.
9. Ear Plugs - foam insert and over-ear types.
10. Aspirin - In case the ride is rougher than I anticipate.
11. Extra underwear - If the brakes go out or the engine runs away, first you say it, then you do it.

:driver:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Time it right and we can hook up in KS or OK and drive the rest of the way back following one another. I'll be fully equipped with everything from towbars to impact wrenches and slave cables.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A lot depends upon what shape the truck is you are buying. A truck that has sat for five years (like the one I picked up) is a different beast than an in-service truck that has been PM'ed regularly. Known defects that need to be nursed vs. the great unknown or stuff that simply decides to break are other factors.
Oh, and then there is Murphy - right now would be a good time to do the trip, because Murphy is likely plastered until well after St. Paddy's day with little time to tend to other things.

If you want to save a bit of money...a simple double/USB cigarette lighter socket with battery clamps (sold in any car parts place) works perfectly to power GPS and phone charger. The draw is so little that I would not worry about "imbalance" between the batteries. If you are concerned, clamp it to the other battery at each fuel stop.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't pack anything big that I couldn't get at a Walmart. They sell a hundred dollar jump box that has an inverter and a bunch of USBs. It's made by Schumacher so decent quality. I've had one for at least 5 years and use it alot. Still on original battery and going strong. Better get a few lights. One of the best investments is a head light. You will when use it in the truck to see the barely lit gauges. Hearing protection is always a must have deal. Don't forget to pack a bunch of water at your first stop and some emergency roadside vittles. Look into things you can't get along the road. Silicone break fluid and a spare headlight are a couple of things. Get a spare gladhand and put a quick coupler on it. Once in place get an air hose and Chuck and you have working air. A blow gun makes blowing out the cab easy.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Time it right and we can hook up in KS or OK and drive the rest of the way back following one another. I'll be fully equipped with everything from towbars to impact wrenches and slave cables.
Sounds great! I'm trying to schedule time off from work (only one person per team allowed off at a time) and flight schedules out there. Would love to caravan back.
:tank::tank:

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A lot depends upon what shape the truck is you are buying. A truck that has sat for five years (like the one I picked up) is a different beast than an in-service truck that has been PM'ed regularly. Known defects that need to be nursed vs. the great unknown or stuff that simply decides to break are other factors.
Oh, and then there is Murphy - right now would be a good time to do the trip, because Murphy is likely plastered until well after St. Paddy's day with little time to tend to other things.

If you want to save a bit of money...a simple double/USB cigarette lighter socket with battery clamps (sold in any car parts place) works perfectly to power GPS and phone charger. The draw is so little that I would not worry about "imbalance" between the batteries. If you are concerned, clamp it to the other battery at each fuel stop.
Good idea, thanks! Looking at the photos, I'm guessing the truck has been sleeping for a while, but the seller said they will flush the fuel system & make sure everything is working for when I pick it up. Of course, Murphy could be waiting under the first overpass on the way home, but that is life & since I'm having to pass through IL, I can't bring my CCW to keep Murphy at bay. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't pack anything big that I couldn't get at a Walmart. They sell a hundred dollar jump box that has an inverter and a bunch of USBs. It's made by Schumacher so decent quality. I've had one for at least 5 years and use it alot. Still on original battery and going strong. Better get a few lights. One of the best investments is a head light. You will when use it in the truck to see the barely lit gauges. Hearing protection is always a must have deal. Don't forget to pack a bunch of water at your first stop and some emergency roadside vittles. Look into things you can't get along the road. Silicone break fluid and a spare headlight are a couple of things. Get a spare gladhand and put a quick coupler on it. Once in place get an air hose and Chuck and you have working air. A blow gun makes blowing out the cab easy.
I have air lines & chucks at home, just bulky to try to take in my luggage. I'll look for the Schumacher at the first Walmart I see on the way back. Water is for humans or truck consumption? Was planning to pick up a little cooler to keep drinks in for the trip back. Food is not a problem, I carry an unlicensed energy surplus.:wink:

The tires are new 395s on 2-piece wheels (no split rims) so unless someone is shooting at me, I am confident I won't need air for the tires. Brake fluid sounds like a good idea, I'll look into that. I saw in the MOD section that there are LED headlights for the Deuce. I'm guessing the plug into the stock socket or does the whole headlight assembly need replaced?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Another Ahab

A good bucket (3 or 5 gallon) can always come in handy:

- It'll do double duty both for filling (like a leaking radiator), and draining (you never know)

- It can also work as a place to keep all your other tools (a tool bucket instead of a tool box).

And in a pinch you can even use it to sit on while you ponder the solution to whatever problem your rig gives you when you least expect it.

Jeepsinker

The led lights just plug in, they use the stock buckets.
Bring 2 each:
1/2" wrench
9/16" wrench
5/8" wrench
11/16" wrench
3/4" wrench
Bring 1 each:
5/16" wrench
12"channel lock type pliers
Full 1/4" drive sae socket set
Full 3/8" drive sae socket set

If you need more than that, you aren't going to make it home without assistance anyway.

I would also find a place to buy a 24" or longer prybar, and a 24" crescent wrench so you can change belts if you need to.
Use the channel lock pliers and the big crescent wrench for the compressor belt, and the prybar to put tension on the water pump and alternator belts. All of the fasteners related to belt changes are 9/16". Use a socket for the compressor, and a wrench for the alternator.

Edit: Bring some screwdrivers too. Make sure you have at least one BIG flat blade.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The led lights just plug in, they use the stock buckets.
Bring 2 each:
1/2" wrench
9/16" wrench
5/8" wrench
11/16" wrench
3/4" wrench
Bring 1 each:
5/16" wrench
12"channel lock type pliers
Full 1/4" drive sae socket set
Full 3/8" drive sae socket set

If you need more than that, you aren't going to make it home without assistance anyway.

I would also find a place to buy a 24" or longer prybar, and a 24" crescent wrench so you can change belts if you need to.
Use the channel lock pliers and the big crescent wrench for the compressor belt, and the prybar to put tension on the water pump and alternator belts. All of the fasteners related to belt changes are 9/16". Use a socket for the compressor, and a wrench for the alternator.

Edit: Bring some screwdrivers too. Make sure you have at least one BIG flat blade.
New belts before I even head back home would take care of having to have the 24" prybar & crescent wrench, wouldn't it. I wouldn't think these engines would eat new belts. I have 2 big adjustable wrenches that open to over 1" so figured that would be easier (and lighter in luggage) than taking two of each size of static wrenches.

Concerning the BIG flat blade screwdriver, do you mean wide blade or long shaft?

Jericho

I drove my M109a3 cold turkey fifteen hundred miles in feb, all the way to New Hampshire. I checked all fluid levels bought gear oil, engine oil brake fluid and rad fluid at first walmart on the route along with a grease gun and did a grease job. checked all tires and lug nuts, cked all u joints and the leak history, just spread out a news paper under the truck for an hour while your checking it over. Just tap the "first battery " in line for 12 volts, it will run you gps , radio ect . Headight mounted flash light, Pick up flares and warning triangles at wally world as well , if you break down . I did, It keeps your truck seen at night. Hearing protection is a must ! Break cleaner! if you push your truck too hard on RPM, have shrunk crank seals , or over service the engine oil the engine oil will seep omto the clutch disc. Pull the fording drain plug on the bell housing and douche the disc with brake cleaner, it will clean it and swell the seal , sealing the leak if the seal is not cut. Even if you have to stop periodicly as long as you watch the oil level in the engine you can clean it repetedly and PRESS ON. Ive driven it about 6 thousand miles in the last 3 years, never had to change a headlight! Alternators are crap, rest id rugged and reliable , keep rpm /speed in limits add 1 quart of Marvel Mystery oil to each tank of fuel judge you speed in s cornoers and plan stops , ENJOY

Tom Thumb

Depends on your mechanical experience. For me, I had no experience with diesel trucks so I had someone who knew about these trucks go through it before I got on the road. It was well worth the cost. 98G is a good resource, especially since you live in the same state.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks