• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Survey! Northern Michigan event??

citizensoldier

If I was to have a SS event here in Northern Michigan who thinks they would come or would try to come? This would be held in the Tip of the Mit of lower Michigan.. I would provide a camping area, trail rides, swap meet area,and it will be within range of some decent motels.
I am just wondering if it would be worth it considering my location. :D :D

citizensoldier

Wow! 13 views and no votes.. Not a good start.. Dont let the avatar scare you! I dont bite and only eat road kill.. So unless you get ran over while here you are safe.. And remember Deliverance was in the south! I am thinking for spring 2009 if I do it.. No bugs, bears are still sleepy,and flowers are popping. Plus lots of good off road conditions.. Maybe a OpieNoTool trail ride.. If you can keep up with him in Lucy the duece you get a prize!..

ida34

I am a majority!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would want to but work and such might keep me from being able to attend depending on the days. When I saw Northern Michigan I thought you were talking about Lansing or Flint.

oilcan

There now you have a vote. Or two!
Since your plan is over a year out I'll give you a definite maybe. And if you print up t-shirts I'll take a size extra-medium...

citizensoldier

Re: RE: Survey! Northern Michigan event??

ida34 said:
I am a majority!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would want to but work and such might keep me from being able to attend depending on the days. When I saw Northern Michigan I thought you were talking about Lansing or Flint.
Well put a vote for maybe! Lansing and Flint ! Its not a drive by turkey shoot its a Steel Soldiers military vehicle get together.. :shock: :D

citizensoldier

RE: Re: RE: Survey! Northern Michigan event??

I have a few places and have not decided yet..As of now lets say it would be in the Boyne Falls to Vanderbilt area. Or northeast in the Pigeon river area.... This will change I am sure but thats what I am looking at for now.. Gaylord is close to the E-way and I am checking on some spots there..

67Beast

Hey Lane, I had hinted at it in the GLMPVA post that I'm working on setting one up here which is midway up the western michigan coast. The nice thing about having it here is there are several options as to types of terrain. One day we could run the trails through this part of the Manistee National Forest, and an other day we could run the Silver Lake Sand Dunes ORV park for a little desert storm type of action. It's close enough for the indiana/illinios people that it might make it easier for them to get to. We're 220 miles from Chicago, Detroit, and the bridge. I have plenty of open space for camping and there are several hotels and campground within 2 miles of my place.

citizensoldier

This would be great! I am not against that at all.. This is the reason for the survey.. Hell we might even get some cheesheads to come accross on the Ferry! So you would be willing to make it a SS event? We need more big events and swap meets in Michigan.. Up here we have the Fly Wheelers site that I might be able to rent or use.. I am also working on GLMVPA events up here but it seems like the SS guys are a little more gung ho and willing to travel a bit for some good old OD fun..

odjeeper

Piggy-Back?

Lane, if you want to organize a swap meet area for the Camp Grayling event I'm sure there would not be much resistance. The only downside would be requiring attendees to join either GLMVPA or MMMT for insurance reasons, but insurance is going to be an issue with most any venue. Working with an established event makes your life a bit easier as well, since there will be fewer conflicts for weekends and you won't have to plan an entire event. Another idea would be to get with the mid-Michigan group and expand Clare or the Silver Lake event if you don't mind late summer/early fall since these have good trails nearby also. If you want an earlier event, there is already a great swap meet started in Midland in conjunction with the Midland Antiques festival, not much for trails, but a great place to show vehicles and swap parts. Just some thoughts.

citizensoldier

RE: Piggy-Back?

I am sure if this was to come to fruition all insurance details and locations would have to be worked out between me and SS.. Just the same as done for the Fl SS Rally, the GA SS Rally, and the Haspin event.. We need more events early in the spring and swap meets in the winter. IMHO The first GLMVPA event is the Ft Custer trail ride and from what I have been told is no longer what it once was. This event I am taking a survey for would be through SS if given Chris's permission. I am trying to include SS members from around the country.. And see what interest and opinions on travel to Michigan are out there.
If guys like me are willing to travel to Florida, Georgia, Aberdeen, Indiana, and so on why not others travel to my wonderful tip of the mit.
Although the Midland Antique festival is a good event a majority of the people are there to see civi cars and find old furniture.. Its not advertized as a military vehicle event. We have three events in Grayling as it is but only one is a GLMVPA event and thats in the fall.

odjeeper

Not trying to put a damper on your enthusiasm at all Lane, would like to see the events get bigger up here so more folks could enjoy them and don't want you to burn yourself out too fast. Organizing an event can be a lot of work, especially a start up, I want you to succeed and would be willing to offer some help if you would like. Brought up the subject of a mid-winter event at the last MMMT meeting as a matter of fact. We used to have them and ran the snowmobile trails with tracked vehicles over in Mio. A great time and something that cannot be done just anywhere in the country, but don't know how many folks have tracks to play with in the snow. Of course the Sno-Blind event in West Branch is very popular with the off-road groups every winter, but am not sure many collectors want to subject their equipment to potentially salty roads. You could definitely put together a meeting place iwth some indoor swap meet space and have trails available for wheeled or tracked vehicles mid-winter at several places in northern Michigan. It will be interesting to see what others have to say about the ideas.

citizensoldier

All I have to add is I am well aware of how much work something like this takes.. If I can pull permits and insurance to build a 10,000 square ft house while simultaniously doing 3 other houses, and keeping 4 employees inline combined with deligating to numorouse sub contractors I think running, planning and executing a military vehicle event will be a piece of cake. Heck it will be fun! I would not bring it up if I did not think I could do it. Plus I will have help on all fronts..
This would not be a winter event so no worry about salt. This would be in the spring, maybe late March, early April.. Yes we could get snow here in April but we should see more mud than snow..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks