• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Survey...... "oil line of death 3116" (governor oil feed line)

Ronmar

The issue with these teflon hoses is their bend radius. Take a plastic drinking straw and try and bend it. The thin wall teflon liner behaves a lot like this and will want to collapse. The braided sheath helps to prevent this but it has limitations to about a 2” radius...

because of the spacing between the ports, I found that with a 45 fitting pointing upwards out of the head, and a 90 at the governor port, a 9” line will scribe a circle pretty close to 2” radius...

JIC-4-Male-x-SAE-6-Male-90-Degree-Elbow

JIC-4-Male-x-SAE-6-Male-45-Degree-Elbow

0E1FB7F3-45FE-4DD1-9EE3-134AB9DA24EA.png

Last edited:

Crazyls2

3116 Engine year 1998
. Engine serial number. 7AG08024
. approx. position of the union (photo below) on the block
. has yours broke. Yes, dumped 5 gallons of oil on highway.
. is yours leaky presently

Driving back from Texas I noticed a significant amount of smoke so I pulled off at the next exit. The oil pressure dropped almost all the way down so I shifted to neutral and shut down the engine. Mechanic identified the broken line. Cat had the part for less than $60.00

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
3116 Engine year 1998

Driving back from Texas I noticed a significant amount of smoke so I pulled off at the next exit. The oil pressure dropped almost all the way down so I shifted to neutral and shut down the engine. Mechanic identified the broken line. Cat had the part for less than $60.00
Good for you!

Amazing how a good driver (not a steering wheel holder) can look out the mirror regularly and see something going wrong before everything goes straight to "heck". No texting and driving, no jamming out on the radio to drown out the motor noises! You definitely did good! Saved yourself a bucket full of money too!

Ronmar

3116 Engine year 1998

Cool, keep an eye out for it though, we had one guy break one, replaced it with the cat part and turned right around and had that one fail not too long after. it is an overhung part without support and will tend to oscillate if any vibration is put into it… like a diving board…

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
"Survey...... "oil line of death 3116" (governor oil feed line)"

I been watching the loss of entire engine, really quick, of this story, for a long time.
Really bad stories.

My comments were to just use Swagelok fittings and hoses but never got a comment.
Swagelok is power plant proven, helicopter and tank proven and does not fail.

This would be at the very top of my list if I were running one of these motors with this
known fault.

In any case I study race cars, all flavors, and they are nothing if not the highest vibration
and beat things out there. Maybe, a city bus, or the trash trucks around here but they
don't get the metal fatigue failures. They are heavy freakin duty trucks and busses.
Race cars all flavors need to have everything lightest and the very best.

In any case, if others want to see a minor collection of hoses and fittins available to all
then look at the pictures.

Attachments

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My comments were to just use Swagelok fittings and hoses but never got a comment.
Swagelok is power plant proven, helicopter and tank proven and does not fail.

This would be at the very top of my list if I were running one of these motors with this
known fault.
The problem with a flexible line isn't the likelihood of the connector failing, it's that flexible lines don't flow as well as a solid line so you have to oversize it. People usually don't know that, or forget to consider it.

For a mass-production application, the hard line is an appropriate choice. It's the best flowing, longest lasting, and cheapest solution. If you're making a one-off, it just might not be as cheap, because you'll spend time and money bending the line.

I still argue that this isn't really a "known fault". Many of my 25 year old flexible lines (e.g. air, fuel) are failing too. I haven't had my oil line fail, but I did have the big transmission cooler hard line crack (likely as part of the driveline vibration that wrecked other stuff on my truck). If you are worried about this oil line, I recommend just replacing it with a fresh hard line from CAT.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
The problem with a flexible line isn't the likelihood of the connector failing, it's that flexible lines don't flow as well as a solid line so you have to oversize it. People usually don't know that, or forget to consider it.

For a mass-production application, the hard line is an appropriate choice. It's the best flowing, longest lasting, and cheapest solution. If you're making a one-off, it just might not be as cheap, because you'll spend time and money bending the line.

I still argue that this isn't really a "known fault". Many of my 25 year old flexible lines (e.g. air, fuel) are failing too. I haven't had my oil line fail, but I did have the big transmission cooler hard line crack (likely as part of the driveline vibration that wrecked other stuff on my truck). If you are worried about this oil line,
I recommend just replacing it with a fresh hard line from CAT.
see post #87

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor

I still argue that this isn't really a "known fault". Many of my 25 year old flexible lines (e.g. air, fuel) are failing too. I haven't had my oil line fail, but I did have the big transmission cooler hard line crack (likely as part of the driveline vibration that wrecked other stuff on my truck). If you are worried about this oil line, I recommend just replacing it with a fresh hard line from CAT.
No oil line will flow more than the smallest internal diameter of any associated fitting....

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No oil line will flow more than the smallest internal diameter of any associated fitting....
While that is true, they can flow less. Soft lines flow significantly less, even when straight and round, but then are generally bent. This leads them to be deformed and even more restrictive than hard lines also. This is why all the military soft lines are oversized for the fitting (e.g. 1" fitting with 1.125" soft line on it).

The military fittings that use the oversized line are uncommon/expensive, or you have to pay/do more to drill them out yourself.

The replacement hard line is the least expensive and best option.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey, whatever one does use...............

Is there a way to shut OFF the motor when this line looses pressure?

That would be scrumptious.

Maybe just a tee with a pressure switch?

save and engine

Third From Texas

Easier and cheaper to just slap a flex hose on there.

I mean *could* create a way to shut your engine off if the pressure fails for *any* reason. A simple dummy light/audio alarm connected to a pressure sensor and a way to kill the engine when it trips.

IMO, you're more likely to have your compressor bracket rip off and puke your oil than you are the 'line of death" but ymmv...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Easier and cheaper to just slap a flex hose on there.

I mean *could* create a way to shut your engine off if the pressure fails for *any* reason. A simple dummy light/audio alarm connected to a pressure sensor and a way to kill the engine when it trips.

IMO, you're more likely to have your compressor bracket rip off and puke your oil than you are the 'line of death" but ymmv...
At one point in time, MOROSO components was the top of the line when it came to oil in a pan - or a lack of oil. Just looked a few minutes ago @ Summit Racing. They sell their line and I found a low pressure switch. Looks like an electric oil sending unit. The one I perused had 3 wire connectors on the back. Wiring diagram is included. 15# low oil shutoff. Cost about $50 bucks. Quick web search found more and less expensive and even pressure adjustable.

In days gone by, I remember that diesels installed in the M4's in our fleet had a button that had to be pushed to override low pressure to start the motor. Once it started running, low oil would kill fuel for immediate shutdown. That was a feature on digger derricks too. The idea was to protect the expensive parts.

Could be a cheap way to protect your CAT or anything else that needs oil...

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At one point in time, MOROSO components was the top of the line when it came to oil in a pan - or a lack of oil. Just looked a few minutes ago @ Summit Racing. They sell their line and I found a low pressure switch. Looks like an electric oil sending unit. The one I perused had 3 wire connectors on the back. Wiring diagram is included. 15# low oil shutoff. Cost about $50 bucks. Quick web search found more and less expensive and even pressure adjustable.

In days gone by, I remember that diesels installed in the M4's in our fleet had a button that had to be pushed to override low pressure to start the motor. Once it started running, low oil would kill fuel for immediate shutdown. That was a feature on digger derricks too. The idea was to protect the expensive parts.

Could be a cheap way to protect your CAT or anything else that needs oil...
There is already an oil pressure switch on the engine.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, so why are people losing engines to a catastrophic loss of oil?
Pressure switch, OFF and Done is how it works in fast cars...
I don't think it controls anything like that now. I believe it just signals the alternator when the engine has made pressure and the alternator can start charging. But if you wanted it to shut down, you could tap off it.

coachgeo

I don't think it controls anything like that now. I believe it just signals the alternator when the engine has made pressure and the alternator can start charging. But if you wanted it to shut down, you could tap off it.
from previous discussions..... based on location of the oil pressure switch...... by the time that switch reads low oil pressure..... your engine is already toast. Oil line of death just pumps the oil out way to fast.

Issue also is....... automatic shut off...... while saves your engine..... it likely kills person(s) on the highway behind you as your truck suddenly out of the blue in the middle lane loses all power, resulting in cars, trucks behind you eating your ass in a pile up. Driver of FMTV does not want to brake (so no brake lights show), they want/need power to safely steer it off the road but can't cause engine was auto shut down.... that is a lose lose situation.

So comes down too.... save your engine vs pile up accidents behind you that kills one or more.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks