• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Survival 109 build

Another Ahab

And you're right, I'll bet rustystud knows all about the right bolt for the job. AND, has a great personal story to go with it, too! :naner:
Sorry I'm on late tonight. To answer the bolt question, grade 8 is what you "must" use for vehicle frames. In fact the correct bolt to use on frames is a Grade 8 Fine Thread "Flange" bolt with grade 8 "Flanged Stover" nuts. The torque on this 5/8" bolt would be 180 ft Ibs. If you used a course bolt the torque is 159 ft Ibs.
There you have it!

Can I call 'em or what!?

(AND the story. He added a story, too!!!)

rustystud

015.jpg
Hey Rustystud, Your fingers look awfull young, you been moisturizing or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCcckjGXNLc#
I haven't been complimented on my fare complexion for some time now !
Actually I wear Nitrile gloves religiously whenever I'm working on dirty vehicles and using cleaning solvents. Have for over 30 years ever since this old fart ( I like that me calling someone an old fart ! ) told me to protect my skin or I could end up with skin cancer like he had from all the chemicals. Also all those years working on Automatic transmissions. The transmission oil really makes your skin soft ! Plus I am a tad bit over weight and that extra padding stretches the skin tight.
I forgot to mention, the transit department provided special skin cream with Aloe to all the mechanics. One was to protect from chemicals and the other to moisturize the skin since washing with grease remover really dries out your hands. At least my wife likes my smooth hands !

Last edited:

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry I'm on late tonight. To answer the bolt question, grade 8 is what you "must" use for vehicle frames. In fact the correct bolt to use on frames is a Grade 8 Fine Thread "Flange" bolt with grade 8 "Flanged Stover" nuts. The torque on this 5/8" bolt would be 180 ft Ibs. If you used a course bolt the torque is 159 ft Ibs.
All grade 8 bolts are now torqued. Have a few grade 5 in there, will be changed out when I can get more. Holes are staggered for two reasons. One, was to miss existing holes while drilling. Found out mag drill cutter didn't like drilling into an existing hole. ( shattered) Two, figured that the plates and frame more prone to cracking if all holes where in line. That is just a guess, but didn't hurt to move them a bit. Also looking into fitting the grey water tank into it's home. Just a fit job today, will need to route drain piping before final tank install. Also may enlist the poop pipe expert ( RAYZER ) to help in the layout.

Attachments

Another Ahab

It's all shaping up real nicely; looks great. [thumbzup]

It's fun to watch both you and theeDIZ at the same time with your M109 build-outs; you are both full of great ideas.

I'm guessing 300 gallon capacity in that gray-water tank, but it's hard to tell from the geometry. How many gallons does that thing hold?

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's all shaping up real nicely; looks great. [thumbzup]

It's fun to watch both you and theeDIZ at the same time with your M109 build-outs; you are both full of great ideas.

I'm guessing 300 gallon capacity in that gray-water tank, but it's hard to tell from the geometry. How many gallons does that thing hold?

Thanks AA. I am following his build too. Tank not nearly that big, I think it is only 36 gallons.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scheduling conflict on the tank fitment today, so put a few coats of poly satin on the stained cabinets. Somewhat of a shine now. Also, the small details can make a difference, used some felt silencer pads on the drawers and cabinet doors. No slamming now.

Attachments

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking good ! I've been having the same problem finding a big enough grey tank that fits. How do you plan on securing it ?

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking good ! I've been having the same problem finding a big enough grey tank that fits. How do you plan on securing it ?
Thanks. It sits on top of the crossmembers below the box crossmembers. I will make some straps to secure it once I figure exactly where to locate it. Beware, the size tank I have REQUIRES the rear crossmember/hitch reinforcement to be removed to get it in place, as well as temporarily jacking up the box. Couldn't have used it if I didn't extend the frame and eliminated that crossmember.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been awhile since I've been on the green machine project. Been too hot, too tired and too broke. Still all of the above, but trying to do a bit here and there. Still tinkering around with the grey water tank and associated plumbing. Closed off two holes on the tank top with epoxy and plastic plates. Also installed two small crossmember/supports on the top of the tank to help with the top dropping down. Also figured and fit the drain valve outlet pipe. Will have to torch out some holes on the box floor crossmembers to allow the kitchen drain to find its way to the tank. Gotta get some blue wrench gas before that can proceed. Tried a few months ago to use the plasma cutter for that, no go. Had to pull the tub back out to reconfigure the drain. Installed a drain vent valve in the bathroom sink drain as well as the kitchen drain. Checked on my guard frog, was sleeping on the job again. Ugg.

Attachments