• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Survival 109 build

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a good bit done today. Secured the solar panels to the frame and wired them to the controller. Also have a center antenna mounting point and a walk plate in the middle. Now getting free power! This system gives me 1000 watts in full sun for charging and operation during the daytime. Have 1200 amp hours of batteries now, planning on doubling that as funds become available. Also installed a free (!) motorized spotlight on the cab roof. Just did a temporary switch mounting, need to make a small box for it between the fans.

Attachments

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed a few of my radio's for listening pleasure just in case I get cabin fever. Three scanners, two 2 meter and a CB. All temporary, as I plan a full radio shack including ham once the truck is done.

Attachments

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
QUADJEEPER, your build is progressing quite nicely. You've done a lot of fantastic work, and I'm watching your build closely to find ideas I can "borrow". :-D

I did want to offer one suggestion. You appear to have found the same water tank that I have used in my camper truck build. I found a website online that detailed adding a 6 inch round deck plate to the top of the water tank for cleaning and winterization purposes. It made it much easier to get all the water out when the time came here last fall, and has been 100% water tight so far. Winterizing may not be an issue for you in Florida, but being able to get inside the tank might make life easier when it comes time to clean the system out. I think it also gives enough access to put in an elbow and draw water from closer to the actual bottom of the tank, too, but I haven't tried that yet.

20150302_205225.jpg20150302_205253.jpg20150302_205306.jpg

If I can help with additional photos or finding the right part, just send me a PM.

Attachments

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a bunch of little stuff done today ahead of next week's Rally. Only thing worth taking pictures was the final securing of the stock horn and plumbing the aux. horn. Also installed a horn button on the shifter for the aux. horn, so when I am busy slamming on the brakes and downshifting to avoid a texter, I can still blow the horn. Installed an inline shut off valve just in case of a sticking solenoid.

Attachments

rustystud

That's a good idea for the horn button ! Usually I'm so concerned trying to maintain control of my own vehicle that I don't have a chance to honk at the idiot who is causing all the trouble.

Last edited:

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a good idea for the horn button ! Usually I'm so concerned trying to maintain control of my own vehicle that I don't have a chance to honk at the idiot who is causing all the trouble.
That is why I did it, center of steering wheel button may as well be on the rear bumper as far as accessibility goes in an emergency. I liked the old '60's GM cars that had a squeezable insert in the wheel rim that was the horn button. That way as you were white knuckling it during a pending crash, you blew the horn too.[thumbzup]

Another Ahab

Got a bunch of little stuff done today ahead of next week's Rally. Only thing worth taking pictures was the final securing of the stock horn and plumbing the aux. horn. Also installed a horn button on the shifter for the aux. horn, so when I am busy slamming on the brakes and downshifting to avoid a texter, I can still blow the horn. Installed an inline shut off valve just in case of a sticking solenoid.
That is why I did it, center of steering wheel button may as well be on the rear bumper as far as accessibility goes in an emergency. I liked the old '60's GM cars that had a squeezable insert in the wheel rim that was the horn button. That way as you were white knuckling it during a pending crash, you blew the horn too.[thumbzup]
Don't guess they're legal many places (because of the decibel range), but always liked the idea of one of these P3's:

http://youtu.be/kPSi7_2YvcA

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, got a bunch more small stuff done today. Had some indoor/outdoor carpet remnants so I trimmed it out and tossed it in. Nice on a cool morning. Been wanting a flag for the truck while camping, so I used the existing bumper mount and made a collapsible pole so I could store it in the closet. I have had a problem with the lack of leg room and the angle of my foot on the accelerator. So I decided to experiment with making a thinner seat back so I could be further back. I removed the stock 3+ inch padding and installed a kneeling pad which is about an inch thick. Gets me back quite a bit further. Will have to drive it to see if it is better or worse. Also installed a head pad for those bigger bumps. One thing lacking was a magazine rack in the bathroom, fixed. Plus a small shelf too. Added a couple of lower cabinet doors, one to hang the trash can on. Just through a lot of this stuff together, as most of it all will be coming back out to do the floor. Got the salt shakers off of the counter and secured the all important toothpick jar. Make a simple rear door check to hold the door open as well. Rest of today's pics in next post.

Attachments

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rest of today's pics. Also extended the grey water drain pipe so I can use a catch bucket if the campground is against draining on the ground.

Attachments