• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swing away tire carrier dimensions

ATNC325

Thanks for posting this up!! You inspired me to build one myself off your plans!! Worked like a charm, was even able to modify the plans some so the tire sits higher in the closed position from the factor setup so I can clear my surge brake on my m103a2 trailer. Also was into the whole project for probably less than $300....which is way cheaper than piecing all the parts together off ebay.

IMG_20201021_180821181.jpg

IMG_20201021_180827653.jpg
IMG_20201021_182135796.jpg
IMG_20201021_182149375.jpg

TOM R

That looks great, I figured that what it will cost me also just haven't got to it, far cry from the 1200+ shipping guys ask for them lol

ATNC325

That looks great, I figured that what it will cost me also just haven't got to it, far cry from the 1200+ shipping guys ask for them lol
100% agreed

I believe the most costly component I bought was this the hinge

Well worth it IMHO, used same one for other jeep tire carriers I previously built. I liked this one cause the length of the shaft allowed me to hole saw drill straight through the c-channel and weld basically in 4 areas.....top/bottom and top/bottom where it comes through both sides of the C-channel therefore I didn't add the gussets to the shaft (albeit all cause I'm just lazy though, it definitely would have added strength)

Grabbed the rachet jack from tractor supply for $50. About $50 from eBay for the bumper rest bracket (again was just lazy and didn't want to build that and figured I could use that as a guide or template on how the rest of the carrier should be laid out. And I think I spent about $80 at the local metal supply yard. Was happy cause they even flame cut me the circle for the wheel mount.

So if you have a welder, chop saw/angle grinder and drill you are set!!

Again I owe Andyrv6av8r a steak dinner and some 🍻

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
100% agreed

I believe the most costly component I bought was this the hinge

Well worth it IMHO, used same one for other jeep tire carriers I previously built. I liked this one cause the length of the shaft allowed me to hole saw drill straight through the c-channel and weld basically in 4 areas.....top/bottom and top/bottom where it comes through both sides of the C-channel therefore I didn't add the gussets to the shaft (albeit all cause I'm just lazy though, it definitely would have added strength)

Grabbed the rachet jack from tractor supply for $50. About $50 from eBay for the bumper rest bracket (again was just lazy and didn't want to build that and figured I could use that as a guide or template on how the rest of the carrier should be laid out. And I think I spent about $80 at the local metal supply yard. Was happy cause they even flame cut me the circle for the wheel mount.

So if you have a welder, chop saw/angle grinder and drill you are set!!

Again I owe Andyrv6av8r a steak dinner and some 🍻
It looks great! If it wasn't such a long drive, I'd take you up on that steak and beer!

thoner7

Attachments

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is awesome, thank you! I had the same idea, these dimensions will be a huge help.

How much spare length do you have on your ratchet? The 8-9” throw made me wonder

Do you recall what this angle was?
The 9" right triangle will give you the angle. I basically just centered the tire on the tailgate and it came out fine. There's plenty of room on the screw jack, even if you're on a hill.

OBX

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is awesome, thank you! I had the same idea, these dimensions will be a huge help.

How much spare length do you have on your ratchet? The 8-9” throw made me wonder

Do you recall what this angle was?
The complete ratchet assembly is available at Tractor Supply.

91287E45-FDDE-4A1C-9610-E2E9A4FF1AF9.png

thoner7

The 9" right triangle will give you the angle. I basically just centered the tire on the tailgate and it came out fine. There's plenty of room on the screw jack, even if you're on a hill.
Ahh duh I didn’t notice that 21” mark.

So did you get your measurements from the OEM carrier?

Where did you find C channel like that? I’ve only ever seen it with this profile:https://www.metalsdepot.com/assets/files/Catalog_Photos/MetalsDepot-channel.jpg

I like how yours keeps the tire tucked in tight to the tailgate. I was going to do my best with that also. Great job.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ahh duh I didn’t notice that 21” mark.

So did you get your measurements from the OEM carrier?

Where did you find C channel like that? I’ve only ever seen it with this profile:https://www.metalsdepot.com/assets/files/Catalog_Photos/MetalsDepot-channel.jpg

I like how yours keeps the tire tucked in tight to the tailgate. I was going to do my best with that also. Great job.
It's just a piece of regular 6" C channel like your drawing. I didn't have a tire carrier to measure from either; I looked at photos and just measured what I had and made it work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks