• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swollen glow plug removal

cucvrus

I have been using a 3/8" glow plug socket. If they are swelled. All the rules change. By what ever means available. Up to and including removing the fuel delivery nozzles, batteries and inner fender aprons. What ever it takes. it seems the right rear ones like to swell the most. But 100% recovery is my record. Curved needle nose, vise grips, pry-bars, pullers and any other method of extraction. Everything is fair and legal. Gt all the parts out and move on. Not sure why the hole has to be the same size as the glow plug tip. It seems it would work just as well with the hole as large as the threaded part. But it is what it is. And I am usually removing them from other peoples vehicles. Diesel G vans are my favorite all time. The 6.5 was my longest job. The Chevrolet dealer told the owner $800. for glow plugs. The owner was told my the mechanic that I was good at getting them out. At least I am good for something.

cucvrus

I avoid Wellmans like the plague. They have swelled is 2 days. And I have used 13 G AC Delco and they have lasted 15+ years. A few AC's have swelled but I never had them all swell like I did the Wellmans. Good Luck. Happy Holidays.

snowtrac nome

It would have made too much sense to have the GPs thread into an adapter that could be removed regardless if the GPs were swollen. Overpaid pencil pushers that never had a dirty hand.
that's a good idea, I always wondered why they didn't just use a larger thread. My experience has been that dual resister plugs like the ford 7.3 uses will almost never swell up

Laszlo

Took all day. But went with the ac delcos. One broken plug took three hours to finally extract thru the injector bore. I have read the back and forth about the delcos. Im hoping it works for me with a factory setup. Ill let yous know how it goes.

cucvrus

Took all day. But went with the ac delcos. One broken plug took three hours to finally extract thru the injector bore. I have read the back and forth about the delcos. Im hoping it works for me with a factory setup. Ill let yous know how it goes.
You should be golden. I have used nothing but A C Delco 13G glow plugs for over 25 years of private ownership. Did I have any failures? Yes. But nothing I couldn't handle with a vise grips a prybar and a set of forceps. I have removed steering shafts, Inner fenders on both sides and a lot of fuel delivery nozzles but never had to remove a cylinder head. You only need to be 1% smarter than the object you are working on. Good Luck. I hope it all works out for you.

Last edited:

oshacraig

You should be golden. I have used nothing but for over 25 years of private ownership. Did I have any failures? Yes. But nothing I couldn't handle with a vise grips a prybar and a set of forceps. I have removed steering shafts, Inner fenders on both sides and a lot of fuel delivery nozzles but never had to remove an cylinder head. You only need to be 1% smarter than the object you are working on. Good Luck. I hope it all works out for you.
Leroy Diesel has the glow plugs removal tool. I have bought several of them for friends they work excellent. I'm surprised more people don't know about these.

Keith_J

Guess I lucked out. Never had a single plug swell. What causes it? Age and design. If air or more importantly, oxygen, hits the actual heating element, it causes expansion. The outer sheath which shields and seals the actual heating element from combustion is very resistant to oxidation. But it is also thin so it has little strength.
The heater is buried in zinc oxide, this conducts heat. The weak link is the thermal and electrical insulator between the center terminal and the body. When the glow plug is energized, pressure in this sealed unit rises and if the seal cannot withstand, it leaks, to outside. When it cools, it can draw air in, air with oxygen. Next time it heats, the oxygen corrodes the element and the sheath. This causes slow but steady swelling of the plug since this rust has more volume and thermal expansion promotes growth.

An ounce of prevention equals a pound of cure applies here. Finding a weak glow plug using resistance alone is difficult as measuring the typical resistance of glow plugs is difficult with a standard ohmmeter. The resistance also changes as the glow plug heats, this positive temperature coefficient is part of the self regulating nature. As the plug heats, resistance increases which reduces power. My shade tree method uses a battery load tester. This device is normally used to apply a large resistance load to a battery, measuring voltage drop with a simple analog voltmeter. Using it to energize a glow plug shows the positive temperature coefficient as a dynamic, be it subjective, indication on the load tester voltmeter.

What does this mean? A failing glow plug will have a faster voltage rise. I typically do a mental count after the switch is engaged to when the needle passes a set mark. Takes only seconds. Naturally, a dead plug won't register. But weak plugs are easily found.

I replace all plugs if one is found weak. Another reason I have been lucky.

Laszlo

Shes back up and running great. Plugs cycle breifly in the morning and then thruout the day after warmup on restarts it never comes up wait to start. I did not know to depress the pedal on cold starts. Does everyone do this? It high idles for about 15-20 seconds and then automatically kicks down. I guess its that solenoid at the top center of the motor.
I have absolutely fallen in love with this truck. Its a pleasure to drive out here in southern Alabamas dirt and country roads. This website is the most detailed and informative cucv site on the net. Im so lucky this info is here or i would have never been able to get this truck back out on the road again. Thank you!

Attachments

GunnyM1009

Plus one for the Glow Plug removal tool. I was pulling all of mine to put in some 60G plugs. The guy that had it before me put some cheapies in and the one that was stuck was different from the cheapies so I'm betting it was stuck when he changed them as well and he just left it.

Attachments

cucvrus

Plus one for the Glow Plug removal tool. I was pulling all of mine to put in some 60G plugs. The guy that had it before me put some cheapies in and the one that was stuck was different from the cheapies so I'm betting it was stuck when he changed them as well and he just left it.
That one with the yellow head is not a cheapy. that is an original AC Delco 13 G. Back in the day they had yellow plastic insert and were made in USA. Now they have black plastic inserts and are made in Italy or Germany. IMHO they are still the best glow plugs for a CUCV 13G all the way. 25 years of private ownership and over 50 CUCV's will never convince me of any other way. Have a Great Day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks