• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tank salvage yard in Iraq.

Lonesome715

This is a tank yard here in Mosul. There are a lot of cool relics out here. I even found some old soviet equipment with GM engines. I am a little confused on that one. Sadly, there is also some mangled U.S. equipment in the same yard. I have not included those photographs for obvious reasons. Well, enjoy.

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Are you in Mosul? It looks kinda familar. The site of the big shoot in Kuwait has all the vehicles we toasted on the highway of death piled up in the desert really creepy to look over it and it won't take long before the Kuwaiti police are there chasing you out.

Lonesome715

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
Are you in Mosul? It looks kinda familar. The site of the big shoot in Kuwait has all the vehicles we toasted on the highway of death piled up in the desert really creepy to look over it and it won't take long before the Kuwaiti police are there chasing you out.
Yep, I am at H-2 and the yard is located across the street at H-4. I have some photographs from Anacanda where they store the recent vehicles like that. It is brings a feeling of sorrow over you just to walk through the lines of vehicle. I cannot help but wonder how many Americans died in those vehicles.

I would like to see that in Kuwait. It would be interesting to see the history I have read about.

Lonesome715

MilitaryRestoration said:
man I would love to be in that yard... or have any one of those... :-/ one day, one day.... i will have a tank hehe it is my goal.!
I'll try and send a piece at a time home for you. :wink:

Lonesome715

I have seen that here. Some local nationals were working here on base and got fired. One guy declined the ride home and got kidnapped outside the gates.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very cool. Thanks for sharing. The Soviet truck...either a Kraz or a Ural, but I think it is the former...looks like it could be a runner with some maintenance. Pretty cool!

kcimb

That one unknown tank..I think it's a BTR-50/Czech OT-62 with possibly some specialy equipment added.

ETA: Some kind of t-54/55 variant..engineering/recovery vehicle. Gap between the 1st and second roadwheels.

kcimb

Lonesome715 said:
I figured it was a recovery vehicle. But I do not know the names of them.
I beleive it's the VT-55A.

At MOS school we had to identify enemy combat vehicles like the t-55, t-62, BMP1/2, BRDM1/2, Helicopters, etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks