tatra 813 new owner

Steel Soldiers is supported by:

RenatoPietsch

New member
60
0
0
Re: RE: Here are som e pics of my first tatra

tatra813 said:
RenatoPietsch said:
The indicator lights are for switched on differentials, light etc.. The speedometer is a combination instrument of air pressure, tank, temperature. Around oil level of the engine to examine must on under the bumper a dipstick regard. Attention the injection pump of the Tatra has its own lubrication and it must an individual cover of the engine cowling be opened above. The oil level in the injection pump should be examined all 1000 km. The engine cover consists everyone of 3 parts and can be opened individually.
I pulled the dip stick on the injector pump to check the level and it isnt clear to me where the level is supposed to be. How far up the stick is the level supposed to be ??

also are you using brake fluid dot3 for the clutch resevoir, and automatic transmission fluid for the power steering? Im just trying to make sure the right fluids are going to be used when topping up. The manual calls for oils Im not familiar with.
For the brake assembly DOT can become related 3 or 4, also for the clutch. For the engine one takes normal 15 W40 or 20 W50 oil. That is oil of kind of condition. Supply please also regularly all lubrication fittings with fat. Completely importantly the exhaust is in front from the air cooler of the engine. At the air chambers are bleed valves, where regularly the Kondeswasser should be discharged. Also should be exchanged the wheels regularly around these to drive off evenly, which these have a negative fall.
 

Alaskossie

New member
14
0
0
I'm just new to the list today; testing whether I can post yet.

I'm quite interested in 8X8 military vehicles (I'll post photos and specs of my own 8X8, after I fiugure out how to post photos).

Who is the Alaska-based Tatra contact? I'm in Anchorage, and I spotted a brand-new 8X8 Tatra chassis in an equipment yard here a couple of years go. By the time I came back with my camera, it was gone.

Tom Meacham
Alaskossie
 

tatra813

Member
487
2
18
Location
Washougal Wa
Re: RE: Here are som e pics of my first tatra

RenatoPietsch said:
tatra813 said:
RenatoPietsch said:
The indicator lights are for switched on differentials, light etc.. The speedometer is a combination instrument of air pressure, tank, temperature. Around oil level of the engine to examine must on under the bumper a dipstick regard. Attention the injection pump of the Tatra has its own lubrication and it must an individual cover of the engine cowling be opened above. The oil level in the injection pump should be examined all 1000 km. The engine cover consists everyone of 3 parts and can be opened individually.
I pulled the dip stick on the injector pump to check the level and it isnt clear to me where the level is supposed to be. How far up the stick is the level supposed to be ??

also are you using brake fluid dot3 for the clutch resevoir, and automatic transmission fluid for the power steering? Im just trying to make sure the right fluids are going to be used when topping up. The manual calls for oils Im not familiar with.
For the brake assembly DOT can become related 3 or 4, also for the clutch. For the engine one takes normal 15 W40 or 20 W50 oil. That is oil of kind of condition. Supply please also regularly all lubrication fittings with fat. Completely importantly the exhaust is in front from the air cooler of the engine. At the air chambers are bleed valves, where regularly the Kondeswasser should be discharged. Also should be exchanged the wheels regularly around these to drive off evenly, which these have a negative fall.

Thanks for the feedback, as far as the bleed valves are you refering to the condensation in the compressed air holding tanks? Also what are you using for fluid in the power steering tank?

Thanks again, do you have any good parts suppliers in Germany that would ship to the U.S.? for the Tatra 813 I am looking for more spare tires etc.
 

tatra813

Member
487
2
18
Location
Washougal Wa
Alaskossie said:
I'm just new to the list today; testing whether I can post yet.

I'm quite interested in 8X8 military vehicles (I'll post photos and specs of my own 8X8, after I fiugure out how to post photos).

Who is the Alaska-based Tatra contact? I'm in Anchorage, and I spotted a brand-new 8X8 Tatra chassis in an equipment yard here a couple of years go. By the time I came back with my camera, it was gone.

Tom Meacham
Alaskossie
Good to talk to another 8x8 owner what do you have. Im always looking for other Tatra owners especially so we can share spare parts etc (I have a pretty good supply of spares)and to share knowledge of the truck. I also have all the manuals 4 total parts breakdown, part numbers book, drivers manual and service maintenance , and I have a complete workshop manual, which another Tatra owner supplied me with.

Anyway I have 2 tatra 813's There is a really nice guy on the east coast that has 2 of them, I know of a guy in California who has a nice one, and I heard of a guy who owns a unimog place that has one that he loves it. Doesn any one know of any other owners in the U.S.A.? Its nice to talk to owners overseas also but the language barrier is difficult so its nice to have a guy from Germany that owns one who we can share knowledge with!

Anyway in regards to your question, probably the best source for parts is a guy named Dick who has excellent contacts overseas for parts he owns All terrain truck and equipment in Anchroge Alaska, he mainly deals with forklifts, but he can get parts for the 813 and I think he deals a lot with 815's but I dont believe he usually stocks trucks, and it takes a while to get ahold of him to order parts, but he is a very nice guy. his number is 907-344-2793

Lets see your 8x8 pics there is a forum in here somewhere which tells how to put pictures up, luckily my wife did it for me, otherwise Id tell you how.
 

Alaskossie

New member
14
0
0
Tatra 813,

Sorry, I don't own a Tatra 8X8. My 8X8 is a "baby" by comparison with yours.

It is a 1990 MWG Esarco 8X8 prototype, one of three built for the British military to test. It is a Land Rover-based 4-door crew-cab, with a bed out back. It has a 4-cyl. Perkins turbo engine, auto transmission, two transfer cases, and four-wheel steering (the front and back axles steer in opposite directions).

Apparently, one of the prototypes no longer exists, and the only production example also no longer exists. I have been in touch with the owner in UK of the other surviving prototype, who has most of the available knowledge on these pretty scarce vehicles.

Production of this vehicle failed after the Stey-Puch Pinzgauer got the British Forces' contract for a light-gun tractor with crew capacity.

I'm planning to build a garage this spring to get the Esarco inside so I can start restoring it (and also my 1980 Unimog 406 ex-German Air Force aircraft tug). Both of these are much too tall for my existing garage.

I'll post some photos after I learn how it is done.

I've also got a few photos of some other unusual 8X8's.

Best wishes,

Alaskossie
 

RenatoPietsch

New member
60
0
0
For the steering element one uses hydraulic oil. If you look for spare parts, I can ask my comrade. What for parts are used?
 

cranetruck

Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
10,376
12
38
Location
Meadows of Dan, Virginia
Tatra813, the hydraulic fluid for the power steering and automatic transmission I have found to be closest to spec for my 8x8 (xm757) is "Premium Tractor Hydraulic Fluid" available at Carquest, NAPA, Southern States etc. It has an equivalent viscosity of 10 weight engine oil.
 

Alaskossie

New member
14
0
0
ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
Looking for pictures of that Land Rover is it snow covered now and no available?
It is snow-covered, but I've got photos from when it was not. Just have to figure out how to post them.....

Alaskossie
 

JDToumanian

Active member
1,659
4
38
Location
Phelan, CA
I'm sure 15w40 in the engine would be fine...
Hello, I'm just catching up on this thread... Great truck!

On the oil, I'd make absolutely sure that a multi-grade is okay... It's generally not recommended for air-cooled or two stroke engines because of the extra heat load the oil has to contend with. The viscosity modifiers get burned up very quickly and the oil breaks down. There are special oils for air cooled engines, but at the very least use a single weight, like 30 or 40w.

Two stroke diesels are similarly hard on their oil... piston crowns and cylinder walls run very hot because every time the piston comes down it's a power stroke, rather than just pumping air half the time like a four stroke engine. Detroit Diesel has invested a tremendous amount of time and money in oil research, and the result is a special API oil specification for two stroke diesels, and most oil companies formulate specialty oils that meet those specs... i.e., Chevron DELO 100 (a special order item at Napa) as opposed to DELO 400 which is specifically for four strokes. (I think they should have called the two stroke oil DELO 200!). Detroit found that severe cylinder liner scarring quickly resulted from the use of multi-grade oils in their two-strokes.

I'm don't have any specific information on what oil you should use, but I bet that European oil spec is more specialized than you think. I'd probably call Chevron and/or Shell, Texaco, Mobil, etc. and talk to tech support about your application and the spec you have... or find out what oil the US Army uses... Some tanks used big air cooled v-12 diesels.

Regards,
Jon
 

RenatoPietsch

New member
60
0
0
Engine oil and hydraulics the oil is no special oil, but completely normal oil of kind of condition, as it gives to buy in America in the supermarket. As I in the year 2004 Canada, the USA and Mexico with my IFA W50 bereiste, I always oil in the supermarket bought. The straight vehicles from the Warsaw pact, have usually small requirements at oil.
 

tatra813

Member
487
2
18
Location
Washougal Wa
cranetruck said:
Tatra813, the hydraulic fluid for the power steering and automatic transmission I have found to be closest to spec for my 8x8 (xm757) is "Premium Tractor Hydraulic Fluid" available at Carquest, NAPA, Southern States etc. It has an equivalent viscosity of 10 weight engine oil.
Thanks the reason I want to make sure on the power steering is one of my tatra's has automatic transmission fluid and the other one has what looks like regular oil of some sort, (In the power steering fluid tank) same color as motor oil so I am assuming its premium tractor fluid then. I didnt want to top it up with ATF and mix the two and I didnt want to really drain it all out and replace with ATF. Now Im thinking I will maybe put in hydraulic fluid TRactor fluid and it will probably be compatable with what is in there.
 

tatra813

Member
487
2
18
Location
Washougal Wa
JDToumanian said:
I'm sure 15w40 in the engine would be fine...
Hello, I'm just catching up on this thread... Great truck!

On the oil, I'd make absolutely sure that a multi-grade is okay... It's generally not recommended for air-cooled or two stroke engines because of the extra heat load the oil has to contend with. The viscosity modifiers get burned up very quickly and the oil breaks down. There are special oils for air cooled engines, but at the very least use a single weight, like 30 or 40w.

Two stroke diesels are similarly hard on their oil... piston crowns and cylinder walls run very hot because every time the piston comes down it's a power stroke, rather than just pumping air half the time like a four stroke engine. Detroit Diesel has invested a tremendous amount of time and money in oil research, and the result is a special API oil specification for two stroke diesels, and most oil companies formulate specialty oils that meet those specs... i.e., Chevron DELO 100 (a special order item at Napa) as opposed to DELO 400 which is specifically for four strokes. (I think they should have called the two stroke oil DELO 200!). Detroit found that severe cylinder liner scarring quickly resulted from the use of multi-grade oils in their two-strokes.

I'm don't have any specific information on what oil you should use, but I bet that European oil spec is more specialized than you think. I'd probably call Chevron and/or Shell, Texaco, Mobil, etc. and talk to tech support about your application and the spec you have... or find out what oil the US Army uses... Some tanks used big air cooled v-12 diesels.



Regards,
Jon
Thanks for the heads up, I know that they have both been running 15w40 but that doesnt mean that there may be a better oil out there, it is a four stroke so Im not sure if the delo 100 is necessary, but if it will do a better job I would consider using it what do you think.

I know the previous owner used 15w40 with a quaty of mystery oil every oil change.

Thanks
 

JDToumanian

Active member
1,659
4
38
Location
Phelan, CA
I wouldn't use DELO 100, it's only for Detroit Diesel two-strokes - I was just using it as an example of a special oil for a special engine... and an air-cooled v-12 diesel is indeed a special engine!

A quick Google search for OA-M6AD revealed that it is an SAE 40 weight oil. Chevron DELO 400 is available in SAE 40 weight, but you can use your favorite brand of heavy-duty diesel engine oil... as long as it's not a multi-grade. Chevron DELO, Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac - they all make SAE 40 heavy-duty diesel engine oils. You will need to special order them... it probably won't be on the shelf at Napa.

Jon
 

tatra813

Member
487
2
18
Location
Washougal Wa
JDToumanian said:
I wouldn't use DELO 100, it's only for Detroit Diesel two-strokes - I was just using it as an example of a special oil for a special engine... and an air-cooled v-12 diesel is indeed a special engine!

A quick Google search for OA-M6AD revealed that it is an SAE 40 weight oil. Chevron DELO 400 is available in SAE 40 weight, but you can use your favorite brand of heavy-duty diesel engine oil... as long as it's not a multi-grade. Chevron DELO, Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac - they all make SAE 40 heavy-duty diesel engine oils. You will need to special order them... it probably won't be on the shelf at Napa.

Jon
Thanks for the help I have been searching the oil out on a yahoo search engine and it didnt come up with anything usable, I think I will have to start using Google.

Thanks again I think 15w40 is probably fine but Im going to go with the recommended sae40 like you said its a specialty engine and I dont want to find out the hard way if a multi grade isnt the best.
 

tatra-kolos

New member
4
0
0
Location
Boynton Beach, FL
Hello to All,

I am a brand new member, having stumbled upon this site through a search for info on English manuals for my vehicle. I have the German language manuals for the Tatra T-813 KOLOS, but computer based translations of a technical manual can be less than enlightening.

My truck is a 1980 Tatra T-813 8x8 with the 7 person cab, and stake-bed rear. Unfortunately, I have not yet shipped it home to South Florida from Europe, where it has been sitting for some time. Eventually I intend to convert it into an off-road motorhome, by adding a 20' shipping container on the back. It will be perfect for exploring Australia & Africa with my family. In the meantime, it will be quite the project.
I look forward to the fun!
- Any advice would be most welcome. I am particularly interested in information about shipping from Europe, and sources for tires and tubes
- Has anyone added an intermediate overdrive gearbox to any of the trucks (between the gearbox and the transfer case/differentials)? If possible, this should allow higer speeds/lower RPMs since our vehicles will usually be traveling with much lighter loads than they were designed for.
- I am very happy to have found such a great site with a community of like-minded crazy people. THANKS
 

cranetruck

Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
10,376
12
38
Location
Meadows of Dan, Virginia
Welcome to the site!
You are in for a BIG project, even before exploring the other continents. :)
Most of us here can't even begin to think about getting something that large from Europe. Good luck and keep us informed.
 

tatra813

Member
487
2
18
Location
Washougal Wa
tatra-kolos said:
Hello to All,

I am a brand new member, having stumbled upon this site through a search for info on English manuals for my vehicle. I have the German language manuals for the Tatra T-813 KOLOS, but computer based translations of a technical manual can be less than enlightening.

My truck is a 1980 Tatra T-813 8x8 with the 7 person cab, and stake-bed rear. Unfortunately, I have not yet shipped it home to South Florida from Europe, where it has been sitting for some time. Eventually I intend to convert it into an off-road motorhome, by adding a 20' shipping container on the back. It will be perfect for exploring Australia & Africa with my family. In the meantime, it will be quite the project.
I look forward to the fun!
- Any advice would be most welcome. I am particularly interested in information about shipping from Europe, and sources for tires and tubes
- Has anyone added an intermediate overdrive gearbox to any of the trucks (between the gearbox and the transfer case/differentials)? If possible, this should allow higer speeds/lower RPMs since our vehicles will usually be traveling with much lighter loads than they were designed for.
- I am very happy to have found such a great site with a community of like-minded crazy people. THANKS
Good to hear from another tatra owner, the best place for manuals is the guy in alaska he can get you everything you need except for the workshop manual, if your interested in that pm me and I can let you know what I have.

I dont know too much about shipping vehicles over but I dont think its a big deal from what I have heard. How did you go about finding yours in Europe if you dont mind me asking. There is another guy on the web that is half way through converting over a tatra 815 into a motorhome and is now selling it (too much of a project I suspect).
It sound like a fun project and Ive done similar projects like that with other trucks and it is a lot more work than I initially thought it was, all in all from my experience I think you are by far money ahead and defenitily time by buying a nice bumper tow r.v. maybe a 16 or 18 footer I would get a aluminum framed one with fiberglass sides and pull the axles off and mount it on the back of the tatra and spend the rest of your time customizing it to make it look like it was built on there. If you have the energy and TIME to do it with the container more power to you, but like I said from my experience this is the way I would go about it, ive seen other guys do it and it can look really nice. I actually saw a guy do it with about a 35' 5th wheel trailer he flipped backwards so the part that would usually go over the bed of the pickup was in the back and he made a hydraulic liftgate so he could drive a small car up and raise it up to fit under the r.v. It looked really trick.

As far as adding the overdrive the drivetrain on a tatra is like nothing I have ever seen, all the drivelines ,axles etc are incased in a huge tube emersed with oil (for protection) so just adding gearboxes etc would be a huge challenge if not close to impossible.

As far as getting more highway speed you can't really go bigger tires to drop r.p.ms because there isnt much clearance left for the indipendant suspention and you would end up limiting your offroad ability if you did. The other thing is they are very slow and as soon as you hit any kind of a hill etc you instantly lose power and have to start doing a lot of shifting, there is a splitter which makes it nice but there is a lot more shifting and its a lot slower than I had anticipated, even with no load, it also drives a lot smoother offroad than on road. also once you start up a hill its not easy to shift up unless you do it with the splitter, so once you are in a gear you are pretty much stuck in that gear till you get to the top of the hill (usually going slow and holding up traffic), unless you get really good at shifting it like you would a semi, even though it has a syncronized tranny.

The only other thing that is a bit of a negative is it is so LOUD in the cab you cant hardly talk to anyone . Wow I thought my old duece was loud.



I think you have a great idea with the motorhome ,personally I dont like going very far at all on the road its just so slow especially when you hit the hills, so depending how far you have to drive to get to your offroad destination. Anyway this is a bit about what I think of them dont mean to be negative at all it has pros and cons, but overall I love them.

I havent found a good source for tires that is reasonable on price, if you run into a source let me know, because the 1500x21 tires arnt something you can find local from what I have found. Other wise I do have about 4 overseas contacts for parts, it just takes a while to get some of them, I have quite a few spares so in a pinch if you need something let me know what you need. You definitily need the manuals from Dick at All terrain truck and equipment they are $250 but very worth the money, if you want the complete mechanics workshop manual let me know and we can work something out with that.
otherwise welcome and keep us posted!!
 

cranetruck

Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
10,376
12
38
Location
Meadows of Dan, Virginia
tatra813 said:
......
As far as adding the overdrive the drivetrain on a tatra is like nothing I have ever seen, all the drivelines ,axles etc are incased in a huge tube emersed with oil (for protection) so just adding gearboxes etc would be a huge challenge if not close to impossible.

As far as getting more highway speed you can't really go bigger tires to drop r.p.ms because there isnt much clearance left for the indipendant suspention and you would end up limiting your offroad ability if you did. The other thing is they are very slow and as soon as you hit any kind of a hill etc you instantly lose power and have to start doing a lot of shifting, there is a splitter which makes it nice but there is a lot more shifting and its a lot slower than I had anticipated, even with no load, it also drives a lot smoother offroad than on road. also once you start up a hill its not easy to shift up unless you do it with the splitter, so once you are in a gear you are pretty much stuck in that gear till you get to the top of the hill (usually going slow and holding up traffic), unless you get really good at shifting it like you would a semi, even though it has a syncronized tranny.

The only other thing that is a bit of a negative is it is so LOUD in the cab you cant hardly talk to anyone . Wow I thought my old duece was loud.
.......
Thanks for posting this kind of information, it says more about the vehicle than one hundred pictures of it climbing hills and crossing ditches!
It explains the desire for an automatic transmission when driving off road, my 757 got the six speed small increment auto tranny for that exact reason, getting close to testing it now, after a year....
It would be great to further explore the engineering of the Tatra, please continue to keep us posted guys.
Thanks again,
 

Attachments

Top
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks