• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tatra 813 new owner

tatra813

I will have to look in my books for the engine differences, I know the later one went from a 17liter to a 19liter I believe and a little more horsepower, I also know in 1975 and on they made changes to reduce smoke.

my manual says the t930-3e and the t930-17e are equal as to construction with the only differences that the engines t930-17e are adapted for multi-fuel operation.These engines can use diesel oil,aviation kerosene pl4,automobile petrol ba72, petrols ba 80and ba 90 in mixtures with diesel oil and engine oil.

The engines of the t930 series are four-stroke, twelve-cylinder engines with direct fuel injection (no glow plugs) The seperate cylinders are located in two rows/banks/forming a v and concliding a 75 degree angle. The engine has one intake and one exhaust and is controled by a overhead valve

I believe most of the 813 series had the above engine its a 250hp at 2000 r.p.m.
16.5 to 1 compression ratio
17640 cm3

some of the later 813s I think had the 19liter and some of the 815 series trucks.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe a stupid question, but what is this (circled in image below)?
What is the max travel (up and down movement) of a given axle?
What kind of "cold weather" starting aid(s) does the engine have?
When upgraded to "multifuel", what changes/mods were made to the engine?
Thanks,

Attachments

RenatoPietsch

The encircled symbol is the indication of the German army, the national People's Army (NVA)(http://www.NVA Fallschirmjaeger.de) of the former German ones Democratic Republic (DDR)(GDR) 1956-1990. See my added pictures is the symbol being also seen there. It gives also in the USA Reenactingtruppen, which copy this army.

tatra813

cranetruck said:
Maybe a stupid question, but what is this (circled in image below)?
What is the max travel (up and down movement) of a given axle?
What kind of "cold weather" starting aid(s) does the engine have?
When upgraded to "multifuel", what changes/mods were made to the engine?
Thanks,
Im not sure of the max travel of the axle but as you see in the first picture when one axle is off the ground which happens alot offroad the axle next to it is taking the whole load of the one end of the truck so is compressed quite a bit, it actually works very well with a extremely solid platform ride, the truck stays pretty solid with the axles doing all the work and flexing.
I have a concrete block in the back of the truck pictured to help compress the suspention so the rear axles ride more level to assure even tire wear, the newer trucks I believe have air bladders to improve this design as in the picture you supplied a few replys back.
Cold weather starting they have a chamber you can put a canister of a highly flammable mixture in. It will pierce the cansiter and aid in starting kind of like a starting fluid, I have some canisters, but never used them, so far the trucks start extremely quickly for a diesel even in cold weather. There is also a kit you can put under the battery compartment with wick heaters to keep the batteries warm , I also have this kit. The seperate diesel heater that is stock on the truck can preheat the cab, engine compartment and the battery compartment.

AS far as the multifuel questions, I dont think I have a multifuel but I havnt really looked to hard, I saw something in the manual about having a seperate electric fuel pump and maybe some other things I dont know much about that yet.

tatra813

RomanK said:
Very interesting! Respect to tatra813 :D :!:

But if you could scan couple of pages of your book concerning engines and upload here, or send me by e-mail, it'll be super great and rules! [thumbzup] 8)

BTW. I found "dead" Tatra 813 for sale by 19.900 czech cron. This is about 1.100 USD.
Good source of spare parts.

http://www.tatratruck.sk/stranky/burza06.php
http://www.tatratruck.sk/stranky/burza07.php
The only engine info I have is on the engine I commented on. Im not sure about specs on the other one, I will have to look deeper to find some info Im still learning about the truck myself in a lot of ways.
I do like your links that would be a great parts truck, but the shipping would be very expensive. I finally found a good oversease parts dealer who has someone who speaks english just a couple days ago, so I think I hopefully have a good overseas source now. There are local guys who have contacts overseas, but usually it looks like the parts price is doubled if you go through them.

RenatoPietsch

Tatra a dual-fuel engine and can according to manual also gasoline and airplane fuel has use. Starting also at cold temperatures is not a problem. There are starting auxiliary cartridges, which are put in front under the instrument panel into a container and so that the engine is ignited.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info! I love the fuel burning heater in my own 8x8 and it beats having to wait for the engine to heat up before getting heat.
The suspension on the 757 behaves similarily, just implemented differently.

Surfing in a foreign language should add a few hits. :)

Since we are on a roll here, another question, does the Tatra feature any kind of engine/driveline braking ability, such as Jacobs, Williams exhaust brake, hydraulic or electric transmission/driveline types? Thanks.

tatra813

The emergency brake is a linkage acuated drum brake on the driveline. The regualr brakes are all pnumatically actuated. The winch also has a pnumaticly acuated driveline brake drum.

Most all the gearbox controls etc lockers and acuaters are electro-pnumatic. It sends 24 volts which opens a valve and compressed air will acuate the valve.

There is a stock pnumaticly acutuated exhaust brake, pretty much just a damper in the exhaust.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, don't underestimate the exhaust brake, it can be very effective if you keep the rpm high, installed one on my deuce and it's saves the service brakes for emergencies on long downhill runs....
So the brake system is 100% air operated or is part hydraulic ("Actuated")?

tatra813

Yes it could, it depends on your D.M.V. laws, over here you have to prove you actually have some sort of farm that is for profit from what I have heard. It is a lot easier to register it as a antique vehicle, or a collector specialty vehicle. It has to be 25 years or older and you cant use it as a daily driver to be eligable. If you register it this way it is very cheap with no weight fees and insurance through american hobbiest is like $150 a year. not bad really

RomanK

So, as far as I've understood you, to be eligable to register that truck as a farm tractor, you must have your own farm, right? If you don't have a farm, you don't have possibility to register farm tractor.

Today I had a talk with an insurance agent about "a collector specialty vehicle". That is not applicable to me and my situation at all. There are lot's of different restrictions, for example like millege limitations, not more than 100 miles/year, and trip range not more 20 miles. No, this is not my case absolutely. :lost: :idea: :wink: :p :shock:

stephenfeldmeier

This goes to show you that we the USA feel off the wagon somewhere down the road for wheeled vehicle development. We have the top rated tanks, aircraft, naval ships. But when it come to wheeled vehicles for troop transport, we are still in the model "T" Ford era compared to the rest of our military counter parts.
I thought I read somewhere that the Tarta 815s can do the Aberdeen Proving Ground course at 40mph while the driver is drinking a cup of coffee. Is this true? I loved to see our latest vehicle run side by side against these. I wish our American truck will manufactures get off their lazy butts and start coming into the 20 century. It just makes me mad that this design was out there in the 1940's and we didn't take advantage of it. I guess it all come down to the $$$$$ when some General will adopt a design from a manufacture then when that General retires, he mystically becomes the CEO when he leaves the military. Yes I'm not afraid to say it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks