• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TH400/NP205 adapter

DrJekl

Looks like a 208, not a 205. Ebay is a good source unless you want to hit a junk yard and look. Slap a want ad on the classifieds here and you'll have one in a few days. That one needs to go though.

I'm curious to know how it got that way.

MrBouncer

How can you tell the difference between a 205 and 208? I bought this truck about a year ago, they said it was bought a gov auction. I assumed all was original. As for how this happened, dont have a clue. Parked when I got home and saw trans fluid, I am not off road with it, use it as a daily driver. But I will tell you this about 6 months I cracked a transmission. I am begining to wonder if somehting else is wrong.

NPD732

Short answer the 205 has a cast iron case and the 208 is an aluminum case. Most likely cracked when GL picked the truck up with a forklift. Only the M1031 and certain M1028s had the 205. All others had the 208.

DrJekl

I have never seen a CUCV or any other Chevy 4x4 with the tie bar in place until recently. I bought an unmolested 87 Blazer and it had those bars on it. I never knew the purpose of the threaded holes in the t-case body until then.

Brent.Cain

How you can tell the np205 apart from all the rest if you look inside the truck the transfer case shifter on the np 205 is straight up an down all the rest lean forward and the fact that the np 205 is all cast steel not aluminum and cost of the parts are alot more for the np205

MrBouncer

Got the adapter out and it turned out to be worse than I thought. The interesting thing is when I disassembled the adapter from the TC almot a half cup of water came out. The fluid in the both the tranny and TC were changed not 3 months ago.

Attachments

DrJekl

Good stuff!

Since you already understand the difference between a 205 and 208, I'll tell you how you can tell......again. Just look at the round metal tag on the case. A 205 will say 205 and 208 will say 208 under model.

Having a 208 is cheaper when it comes to replacing the adapter! Those 205 adapters are expensive!

So how did it break?

DokWatson

I have never seen a CUCV or any other Chevy 4x4 with the tie bar in place until recently. I bought an unmolested 87 Blazer and it had those bars on it. I never knew the purpose of the threaded holes in the t-case body until then.
I was very surprised when I saw CUCV's don't have the anti-torsion bars on the T-case to tranny and bellhousing to engine. I had always heard you need them or the T-case or transmission would surely break. My truck has seen more hard use than any road vehicle will ever see, up to and including wheel stands and frame twisters that would make a stock vehicle cry. Nothing has broken yet, but I still want to install them when I replace my exhaust (Its in the way, why it was designed that way is a mystery to me) just for peace of mind.

MrBouncer

I am finally getting things back together. Was cleaning all the bolts this when i noticed that the long bolt that holds the adapter to the crossmember mount has a slight bend to it. It is very subtle. I am worried that this might be a sign of a larger problem.

Attachments

MrBouncer

Once everything is put back together I began to bolt the transmission mount/cross member back to the frame, I noticed that the only way get the bolts line up with the holes was with alot of prying. Prying that moves the transmission. That doesnt seem right to me. So I bolted up the passenger side and jacked the drivers side up tight. The mount/cross member holes dont line up almost a half inch off. But the mount is flush the edge of the frame. I am thinking something is bent somewhere and just drill new holes.

acmunro

Is the crossmember bent ? I have had lot of those.

As far as the crached adapter:
I would check the drive shaft to make sure it isn't bent. Even little dings can cause problems. Did the truck vibrate
at 30 to 40 MPH ?

Last edited:

MrBouncer

If the crossmember is bent i cant tell, as for the driveshaft the only i know to tell if it is bent is to roll on a flat surface. That high speed test proved not bent. yeah it shakes at those speeds but only when braking so i think that is warped brakes. after laying under the truck half the day i did notice that the part of the frame where the crossmember bolts on the passenger side if bent upwards. It is only in the area where the member mounts. That is I can see any suggestions on how to tell if the frame, driveshaft, or crossmember is bent.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks