• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TH400 Transmission to LDT-465 Multifuel Engine

specwar

Ok guy's I have a question and I don't know if anyone has done it, from the research i've been doing on our site here I havn't seen anything about it. I'm in the planning stages of my Doomsday Bugout Vehicle an M1010 with LDT-465 Multifuel engine and aTH400 Auto Transmission.
Putting the Multifuel in the 1010 no problem but I don't know about the trans bolting up to it.aua

Question 1: Will it bolt up
Question 2: If not is there an adapter for it

Any information is greatly appreciated
Taco

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to hear about your body, frame and suspension mods, to accept and LDT.

Only one of the bolt holes will line up...

No adapters..

What's your deadline date?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Also the TH400 didn't come in a SAE bolt pattern, so it won't work either. Plus you don't have a flexplate for it.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is an adapter that was made for the TH400 to bolt to a Cummins 4bt (sell for $1000+ if you can find one). Can't remember if it is an SAE #2 or #3 (Ihate getting old and I am not looking it up...lol)

I posted a thread a while back where a pickup body was mounted on a Deuce frame and had a MF in it.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/68105-how-multifuel-your-cucv.html

With enough money and time. you can make just about anything work.

Seems easier to mount an allison to it (work also required)

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also remember we do not allow Doomsday, Bugout, Zombie threads. Keep the talk about MVs.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There is an adapter that was made for the TH400 to bolt to a Cummins 4bt (sell for $1000+ if you can find one). Can't remember if it is an SAE #2 or #3 (Ihate getting old and I am not looking it up...lol)

I posted a thread a while back where a pickup body was mounted on a Deuce frame and had a MF in it.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/68105-how-multifuel-your-cucv.html

With enough money and time. you can make just about anything work.

Seems easier to mount an allison to it (work also required)
That adapter you're talking about was a cummins engine to chevy bellhousing adapter.

4BT and 6BT Cummins Adapter, Chevy 4L80E TH400 700R4 4L60E

There's a few other plates to adapt cummins engines to various bellhousings. But not a SAE to chevy plate that I know of.

Also there's the issue of the flexplate and starter.

You could probably have someone make a custom plate for the multifuel and form a starter mount in it. You'll have to have a one off flex plate as well.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be easier to cut the bellhousing off and fabricate an adapting belhousing, and weld it to the housing.

Big fab work.

Need to know his deadline and budget.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, and gonna need a custom built torque convertor, to match the engine power output/max rpm..

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ahh well there you go. BUT he's still going to have to work through the flywheel/flexplate issue.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might be a whole bunch cheaper and easier to bob a deuce and add the bambulance body.

specwar

WOW, thanks for the input guy's I'll try and answer your questions now:

patracy: I was just figuring that if a 6bt will fit the m/f will fit both are inline 6 cylinders why will it
not fit?

doghead: Frame stiffening will have to be done but no big deal if the body needs to be lifted to make room that's ok and the suspension is replace/upgrade as needed. I don't have a deadline date like I said I'm in the planning stage of the build.

chevycucv: believe me just going with the 6.2L or 6.5L would definately be the easiest route but take it from me I have 2 24 valve Dodge Ram 2500's a 1998 and a 2001 and I have had to replace the Vp-44 F/I pump in both because of running WVO at a 30%wvo to 70% diesel mix and those pumps are very expensive. I was wanting to run an engine designed to run on anything like the multifuel. The Stanadyne DB-2 is like the Bosch VE pump they will work but for how long and while ****s hitting the fan ain't the time to be breaking down and that's just my luck.

Warthog: I'm definately gonna have to find that thread sounds interesting, the Allison would be easier but it is electrically operated and I definately want to stay away from that.

Thanks for all of your inputs
Taco

Chief_919

Just run the 6.2, properly filter and dewater the WVO/WMO, and keep a spare IP under the seat. You can change the IP in a few hours on the side of the road if needed.

You won't fit the multifuel in the truck, and even if you did the reliability on the LDT is far worse than the 6.2. Just get a spare IP for $300, add better filters to protect it, and be done with it.

Of all the engines to ever swap into an M1010, I can't think of a worse one than an LDT.

chevyCUCV

Edit Chief beat me to it.

The 6.2 is capable of alt fuel burning if that is what you are really after.(IDI ricardo type)

I dont think i would trust a multifuel motor more than a 6.2, based on the amount of failures out of the blue to members here.

specwar

Thanks Recovery4x4 you bring up a good point. Chief_919 and chevycucvthanks for your input as well I had no idea the multifuel was that unreliable. I guess this is why they call it the planning stage to get all of this information process it and make a good decision from there.

Thanks guy's
Taco

Chief_919

Thanks Recovery4x4 you bring up a good point. Chief_919 and chevycucvthanks for your input as well I had no idea the multifuel was that unreliable. I guess this is why they call it the planning stage to get all of this information process it and make a good decision from there.

Thanks guy's
Taco
I have never, ever seen, in 20+ years of playing with them, a multifuel go over 100k miles.

Over 75k is pretty rare.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Add to that the LDT-465 is 1850 pounds, without a transmission and close to four feet tall. Next thing we know some real fool will want to mount one crossways to make a front wheel drive truck.

Scooteerr

I see a lot of fabing in your future... Don't you think you are cutting it a lil close the end of Dec. to start making a dooms day vehicle... Lol:-o