• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TH400 Transmission to LDT-465 Multifuel Engine

Skinny

Need to know his deadline and budget.
Probably 12/21/12 :)

Sorry, I know the rules but I couldn't resist! Something tells me he isn't going to make it. You will lose sleep thinking about your DB2 choking on some post-apocolyptic alternative fuel.

epartsman

DB2's like nothing but diesel and lube additive. Tried Clean B20 and it went POP. $425.00 rebuild (the rotor siezed and broke the shaft) plus gaskets and aggravation later...........

Skinny

I haven't tried running anything but street diesel in mine but you are telling me that the DB2 will hate life if you feed it offroad diesel, home heating oil, or K1 with a lot of additive from Stanadyne, Diesel Kleen, etc.?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Less likely to do with a light dose of biodiesel than the fact it was a 20+ year old truck with a prone to failure elastomer ring.

ULSD is crap compared to what Diesel used to be. The fuel back when these pumps were new was also a thicker viscosity.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I haven't tried running anything but street diesel in mine but you are telling me that the DB2 will hate life if you feed it offroad diesel, home heating oil, or K1 with a lot of additive from Stanadyne, Diesel Kleen, etc.?

News flash! This just in!

Off road diesel has been died ULSD for a few years now. Same stuff, just dye added.

Kerosene is close to Jet A/JP 8. Think how much of this has already passed through the fuel system without an additive. BTW the additives you mentioned are actually solvents. Best thing to add is actually 2 stroke oil. (1 ounce per gallon) Or good biodiesel.

Skinny

I understand offroad now is all ULSD with dye. Would home heating oil be more comparable to diesel fuel before we switched to ULSD?

What do you recommend for 2 stroke oil? The only thing I typically buy is Amsoil but my KDX200 consumes far less fuel than my M1031:D

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I understand offroad now is all ULSD with dye. Would home heating oil be more comparable to diesel fuel before we switched to ULSD?

What do you recommend for 2 stroke oil? The only thing I typically buy is Amsoil but my KDX200 consumes far less fuel than my M1031:D
I'm not sure I'd be keen on home heating oil if it's sat around in a tank for a while. Dark and moisture prone low movment tank is a perfect breeding ground for biological agents in the fuel.

Back when I had a truck I worried about the fuel quality with. (Cummins with a VP44) I just used the walmart brand 2 stroke oil.

I've got a new pump (well almost new) in my CUCV. It gets just ULSD, nothing more.

chevyCUCV

I've put 100% wmo through my first pump, no ill affects.

Changed it out for a "newer" one. Have run up to 80% wmo so far.
So DB2 has worked with oil for me.

Be prepared for coked injectors,

Skinny

jeeplvr247

Just out of curiosity, how are you going to make the front end take 1100# extra right over the axle? It sounds like it would be cool but it also could turn into one of those projects that never pans out and you end up selling everything in pieces.

wayne pick

Why go through all that? An Allison AT545 has the same 4th gear ratio as the TH400 has in drive. It also has a lower 1st gear ratio. It uses an SAE#3 bell housing and is bulletproof. They were used in soda trucks, buses and small, six wheel C60 type dump trucks.

dependable

That is true about the Allison AT545. Got to love a tranny with a spin on oil filter. But it probably weighs 3 or 4 times what a TH400 does. Goes back to jeeplvrs247's point. The k-30 frame is not the strongest, even in its weight/type class. At some point you are going to wish you started with a heaver platform.

Chief_919

DB2's like nothing but diesel and lube additive. Tried Clean B20 and it went POP. $425.00 rebuild (the rotor siezed and broke the shaft) plus gaskets and aggravation later...........
I have 150k plus on DB2's and biodiesel blends anywhere from B20 to B99.

The BD2's are very tolerant of a variety of fuels as long as it is clean and, even more important, dry. Try and run B20 or anything else through that has water in it and it will flash to steam and kill your IP fast.

nattieleather

If you don't want to use the 6.2 how about trying a 4 or 6bt in the truck. The Multi-fuel LDT motor is too big for the M1010. As stated from bottom of pan to top is about 4 feet in length and yes both the 6BT and the LDT are 6 cylinders, but the LDTs cylinders are much bigger than the 6Bts. If I lay six campbells soup cans in a row and then next to it six 5lbs coffee cans the coffee cans are going to be longer than the soup cans. So the LDT is much longer than the 6BT.

If you could hook a 700r4 up to the LDT I don't think it could take the torque of the big motor. You'de probably go a few yards and blow the trans up.

Small truck smaller motor and trans. Big truck big motor and trans.

Get a M109 duce. It's multi-fueled, standard transmission and you'll have room in the back for the whole family plus the inlaws...:lol:

specwar

OK guy's I know I'm gettin old and my memory is going but I really don't remember the m/f being that tall and I really had no idea it was that heavy either but I believe you like i said earlier this is the planning stage and there is no time table, as for the DB-2 and Bosch VE pumps they are about the same as far as they will pump other than diesel the question is for how long. I've got a buddy that has a 95 Ram 2500 which has the p7100 and he runs a 50% mix of WVO and Diesel and he has had no problems at all but the thing about the P7100 is it's almost as expensive as the VP-44 so I recon I just need to weigh all the pro's and con's and see which one would be better or more cost effective to run but I really appreciate everybody's input and let me say Happy Veterans Day to all of us that served!!!

Taco

epartsman

Less likely to do with a light dose of biodiesel than the fact it was a 20+ year old truck with a prone to failure elastomer ring.

ULSD is crap compared to what Diesel used to be. The fuel back when these pumps were new was also a thicker viscosity.
Pat the rotor failed and locked the pump thus snapping the shaft. Diesel logic attributed it to a clog and told me they could smell the oil in the fuel. They dismantled it and compared it to a stanadyne book showing pictures of failures. I was only running less than 20% clean but expired veg oil with the diesel so it should have had plenty of lubricant. Diesel Kleen does make a lube additive not just a cleaner. The 09 at the time of failure was running the best and smoothest it had ever been since I had it. The only problem was a slight hard start problem requiring 1/2 pedal to fire. I heard a POP and it was all over. This was in June and in 95 degree Florida heat so viscosity I thought would not be an issue. I cannot attest however to what had been run in it while it was a beach comer in South Florida for the National Guard or what sitting all these years after 26K miles on the beach did to it. But what I can attest to is it started on the first turn after sitting for over a year with a bad starter. It barely turned over, caught, and ran.
They threw away my old pump and built me a 4520 new gen pump. Cost me $460 incl tax and they gave me a felpro gasket set.

Attachments

Last edited: