• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thanks Everyone

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just wanted to extend my sincere thanks to everyone here who has taken the time to respond to my posts. I'm pretty far down in the learning curve and I know some of what I ask is often duplicative and I know the board heros get tired of answering the same old questions. I'll try and do my due diligence with the search engine in the future. But again, I really do appreciate each and every one of you, even the grumpy ones!

Thanks!

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Russ, I have been in a similar place as you. Often finding info in the TM’s is harder than fixing the problem. I’ve been told to go read the TM more than once. However, part of the attraction to the SS community is the camaraderie and friendships that develop. I know many members have answered texts and personal phone calls from me when I could not figure out an answer online. That said, I have improved with my ability to find info in the TM’s for various equipment I own. One great feature of many PDF readers is the ability to search for text in the document. I use that instead of the circuitous references in tables of contents of TMs. It gets me the answers I need quickly. BTW, You are doing fine! Carry on.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hear you. My truck actually came with the TM and some of the schematics look like Chinese arithmetic puzzles! I'm really looking forward to gaining knowledge and experience owning and operating my FMV.

Thanks for the encouragement!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I actually have a Masters Degree in Chinese Mathematics...

And a BS in forum moderation.

lindsey97

There are lots of good folks here that are willing to help. Some give advice. Some help you spend your cashola. Some help you pick out trucks at GP and then dare you to bid on another one while picking the first one up. Others come over and swipe your supply of rapco383, and them bust your balls cause you won't use cheap rustoleum. Then even worse, a specific one with a jacked up 818 offers to take you on a recovery, and then you go thru Iowa bobtailing and as a result your spine looks like a snake after 1000 miles of torture.

I feel blessed to have met people on this forum in person, and have made a few friends. I have really enjoyed this hobby, and the experiences I have had while doing it.

71DeuceAK

Welcome to the site, first of all, Russ Knight, and the hobby!

I second what Russ said concerning the wonderful people in this hobby. I have met several members in person, all great people who I can now consider my friends. The MV hobby is full of some of the greatest, nicest people you can imagine. Everyone I've met has helped me out greatly, as have several people I haven't gotten to meet in person yet, I've had many members reach out to me via PM to help with auction trucks I bid on but didn't win and the like. I've even had a few reach out to me after noting my location, they were in nearby areas; that also led to a few wonderful connections. Someday I will have to make a post recognizing everyone who has helped me.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can help everyone here, by posting follow ups to your threads.

That way we can all learn from your experience.

That makes the site a great resource for those that will search for answers.

Last edited:

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why are you dredging a thread up from last year? What are you even talking about? Are you really that bored with life? Just remember, some of us are busy people that actually have a life outside of this message board.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see now. You dredged 5 more of my posts up. You dredging anyone else's posts up? I'm sure there are thousands of other unfinished / unanswered posts here too. Why mine? I already have a wife, don't need another.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As an active moderator, it's my task to assist everyone here.

Many times that means helping people use the site to be the best it can be.

Apparently your recent postings have brought yourself to my attention.

After spending a bit of time looking at your posts, I realized there is a way you could actually help contribute(a way to give back/thank) to the site by following up in your threads.

Your response seems to sum up your interests.

Noted...

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is utter nonsense.

Apparently you have an axe to grind with me.

I provided one instance of an "unfinished" post by others. I can literally provide dozens, if not hundreds, more.

That is clear evidence that in this instance, it's not really about you trying to help the site.

I try real hard to be at peace with folks.

You have taken an act of kindness on my part and twisted it into this.

There's something wrong with you.

Note that.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Enough in the forums, take it to PM if you care to. (I'm always will to talk).

Take to another moderator if you choose.

Take it to the admin if you feel the need.

Try to be "at peace" with me.

I simply made a suggestion(that would help everyone).

I simply looked at some of your recent threads and wondered how you have progressed.

Last edited:

74M35A2

Russ,

I'm not sure of this, but there may be a radar on recently for people that swoop in, use the board/system to benefit for themselves only, then ditch out, without providing anything. We did just go through this with a gentleman/lady trying to sell a wrecker with a sudden transmission problem. It may have happened more also, I don't know. All of this is just a guess, and it may not have anything to do with you, you may just be the first that popped up since the transmission lady incident happened, which was very recent. I have no idea.

Per the rules, the forum is free, one actually can do that. But, it is easy to see that if a lot of that happens, the site may just collapse, or not work at all. The TM does its job, but a lot of quick and useful info does come from resolving issues and posting what was wrong. I have used that info, and have posted the same. I'm a paying member, and I also have developed and brought several products to the board for reasonable cost for others to utilize and benefit from.

It is probably kind of like being in front of a judge. They want to see you contribute to society. When I fought speeding tickets as a kid with a Mustang, the judge always asked each person in court if they work. If they did not (were not paying taxes), he would be much harsher on them. Does not have to be $. Actually, info is more valuable than $ in a lot of instances. People have to put in for the system to work. If it was a board of a bunch of people that only asked questions, it would never work, even for a month.

I think asking people to post their findings is a reasonable request. If only to you, then you are right, and that is not fair. If you have time to post a new question, then you had time to close out a previous post. Update all of your open ended posts, and you'll be off the radar. Gravy.

You have a good looking truck. Stay here, contribute, and tell stories. Don't just ditch out and say "They just suck on lemons all day over there". It may feel like doghead doesn't like me at times either, and that's fine or may not be the case at all, but I do know a system won't work unless everybody is pulling, just like your wife.

Last edited:

aleigh

Another way to look at this Russ is he thought your insight would be valuable and wanted to see more of it for the benefit of everyone. It's frustrating to find someone who had the same problem I have, only to never get to a solution. Then you have to be that guy who grave digs the thread back, hoping they will reply, which they might, or might not. Or the you wind up with people starting two threads, which makes the infamous (and over-rated) search feature even harder to use than it already is.

Plus a lot of the threads are just interesting, even if I don't own that particular vehicle, so I want to read the whole story. I say this about everyone on the site, including me - and I try to finish my threads - not trying to single anyone out.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It also seems like the guys that complain about the search feature sucking , are some of the biggest offenders of not posting the fix to their threads they start. Then there are the ones that start multiple threads on the same problem because they didn't like the answers they got or they didn't get answered fast enough . There is no reason to start a thread if your not going to follow up on it , because without a end result it is just a worthless thread that wastes server space.

I'm sure the moderators would much rather spend their time enjoying the site and helping members , rather than babysitting people who don't think proper forum etiquette and the site rules don't apply to them . It takes very little effort to update your threads and manage your classified ads.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks