• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

That's what I'm afraid of.

bpcole

So the other day, my 84 M1008, with 40,000 miles on it started losing power. It progressed until the accelerator pedal had to be pushed to the floor for it to even move. It also had a low, rough idle. Then it wouldnt even crank. I replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the glass ball check valve thing at the front of the injector pump (that was clogged with trash). No dice. Does this mean the IP is toast? What's my next move?

hatzie

Sounds like you blew out the flex ring. If you have small black pebbles in the governor housing you need to replace the flex ring with an updated EID.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Inside the IP

Matt65

Had mine rebuilt last year. Replaced it using this site, and the TMs. Its not difficult, just time and tools are needed.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=78521

Last edited:
Just get your current one rebuilt. From what I've heard, it wont be real cheap, but it wont be outrageous.

Just replacing the flex ring would be like putting a bandaid on it, after 30 years that's not the only thing that will need replacing. Not only that, I wouldn't recommend trying to rebuild/fix the IP yourself. Its a precisely built component, and there is lots of stuff to muck up. Let the pros do it.

hatzie

I agree on letting the pros handle it. It helps to know what the devil is probably wrong so the shop can't feed you a BS line.

With only 40k on the clock you are only dealing with the soft parts that age chewed up. It may not need much more than a good cleaning, flex ring, seals and recalibration.

You need real operating hours to chew up hard parts. 40k doesn't qualify as real operating hours.

bpcole

This happened (power loss to not even cranking) in like two days. So everyone is in agreement that an IP rebuild is in order?

Matt65

This happened (power loss to not even cranking) in like two days. So everyone is in agreement that an IP rebuild is in order?
My diagnosis for IP rebuild was simple, I had fuel pouring out the throttle shaft for months. Your symptoms are a little different. You said it will not crank, will the engine turn over by hand? I use a socket on the Harmonic Balancer for this. Are the batteries and starting system in good shape?

bpcole

The engine turns over fine, and the charging system works, it just acts like it is getting absolutely no fuel.

Matt65

The engine turns over fine, and the charging system works, it just acts like it is getting absolutely no fuel.
Check fuel pressure into IP if you have a gauge. 7psi is in the ballpark. Or if you have no gauge disconnect the fuel line at filter and turn engine over, collect the fuel in a bottle while turning engine. There is an engine rotation vs pumped fuel volume that I can't recall at this time.

Last edited:
Check fuel pressure into IP if you have a gauge. 7psi is in the ballpark. Or if you have no gauge disconnect the fuel line at filter and turn engine over, collect the fuel in a bottle while turning engine. There is an engine rotation vs pumped fuel volume that I can't recall at this time.
There is something in the TM's about how much fuel should come out after a certain amount of time.

Also, check the voltage of the wires going to the IP.

bpcole

So checking the volume of fuel that comes out of the filter when the engine is turned over would determine if there is a lift pump problem, right? And is the lift pump in the tank?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks