• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The big trip and a new MV.

rustystud

A full bleed out would mean disassembling the entire system and running rubbing alcohol over everything, right?
Basically you will need to disassemble the whole system as you will need to replace all the seals. This is the proper way to do it. Don't use rubbing alcohol though, use brake clean.

jking615

Basically you will need to disassemble the whole system as you will need to replace all the seals. This is the proper way to do it. Don't use rubbing alcohol though, use brake clean.
With how often it is going to be run, I will stick with DOT3 till it needs replacing, then go DOT5. That is, if it isn't already DOT5. I am a marine mechanic, so I know abit about cars and trucks and such, but brakes are foreign to me. I think highway patrol would get rather upset if I dropped anchor on the tarmac, and i know bad things happen to those who slap cars in reverse.

In other words, I really need to learn more on the brake systems. Which TM has the best coverage of things I need to know, or will the basic Operators troubleshooting TM cover it?

rustystud

Everything said here is good, and if you can take all the stuff they mentioned great ! The most important thing to remember I think is if something happens don't PANIC ! Since you will have a friend in a chase car (very good idea ! ) you and him can figure out what to do as long as you keep calm and reason things out. I once was with my good friend getting a truck in Montana. We had his 2 ton flatbed truck. So we went to Kalispell and after looking at the truck decided not to get it. The problem happened on the way back. The engine overheated real bad ! We where in the middle of nowhere with only $500.00 (for the truck purchase) . My friend started to panic real bad ! He wanted to walk back to Kalispell ! (about 60 miles) I said lets just eat the sandwiches we brought and think about what we will do. So after eating we removed the thermostat and since we didn't have any coolant we used the water in the nearest ditch to fill the radiator back-up. We made it back to Seattle OK. Moral of my little story "don't panic" .

jking615

Everything said here is good, and if you can take all the stuff they mentioned great ! The most important thing to remember I think is if something happens don't PANIC ! Since you will have a friend in a chase car (very good idea ! ) you and him can figure out what to do as long as you keep calm and reason things out. I once was with my good friend getting a truck in Montana. We had his 2 ton flatbed truck. So we went to Kalispell and after looking at the truck decided not to get it. The problem happened on the way back. The engine overheated real bad ! We where in the middle of nowhere with only $500.00 (for the truck purchase) . My friend started to panic real bad ! He wanted to walk back to Kalispell ! (about 60 miles) I said lets just eat the sandwiches we brought and think about what we will do. So after eating we removed the thermostat and since we didn't have any coolant we used the water in the nearest ditch to fill the radiator back-up. We made it back to Seattle OK. Moral of my little story "don't panic" .
Growing up on a commercial shrimp boat, I tend to keep a very level head..... him on the other hand. He would be safer in a helmet and a suit made of bubble wrap. Unfortunately he is the only person crazy enough to drive with me up there, buy a vehicle I have never driven before, and then drive back the nearly 900 miles. It's going to be one heck of an adventure. I might wind up putting the chase car in the bed and duck taping him to the roof before its all over. Adding that to the list. More ducktape!

rustystud

Growing up on a commercial shrimp boat, I tend to keep a very level head..... him on the other hand. He would be safer in a helmet and a suit made of bubble wrap. Unfortunately he is the only person crazy enough to drive with me up there, buy a vehicle I have never driven before, and then drive back the nearly 900 miles. It's going to be one heck of an adventure. I might wind up putting the chase car in the bed and duck taping him to the roof before its all over.Adding that to the list. More ducktape!
Your shrimp boat wasn't named the "Jenny" was it ? I always loved "Bubba Gump Shrimp" !! LOL !!! rofl

jking615

Your shrimp boat wasn't named the "Jenny" was it ? I always loved "Bubba Gump Shrimp" !! LOL !!! rofl
We actually did have a "Jenny"! It was named as a joke when we couldn't figure out a name, and it stuck. I currently own 3 boats though, and none of them are Jenny's. We have the "Linda", "Mary", and "Vitamin Sea"

Bill W

I spent every year since I was 9 years old on a family shrimpboat wrenching on a detroit 6-110. It gave me a bit of "diesel madness." My grandfather told me about the old trucks he used to work on back when he was in the army and I was hooked on the idea of having one. Doesn't help that it has 3 axles, in my opinion that is just too cool to pass up.

But I'll make sure to bring my cameras. This has been a 2 year project getting all the different variables to line up, and I feel like this is the one, so for better or for worse, the heap of 50 year old steel is either going to make it to florida for a nice and easy retirement, or it's not. Either way, I am excited and very nervous. Have a bunch of my friends in Florida who are very excited to see it though. Took a whole week off to go up there, inspect it, purchase it, and drive it home. Feel like I might want to make that a second week so I can baby it and my back.
Dang
A GM 6-110 I haven't heard or seen one of those in years.

I drove my 1st deuce from Alexandria,Va. to south Florida back in 1998 and my arse is still sore.

Make sure you post up your route before you leave to make the recovery and I'm sure members here who live along that route will post up to offer emergency help or storage if things should go south.

Though it is a good idea to flush out your brake system before adding dot 5, The military did not flush out system when they converted to it they just added it to the dot 3 (TB 43-0002-87 ), BTW dot 5 will NOT swell the old seals!.

Plane Fast

We actually did have a "Jenny"! It was named as a joke when we couldn't figure out a name, and it stuck. I currently own 3 boats though, and none of them are Jenny's. We have the "Linda", "Mary", and "Vitamin Sea"
Vitamin Sea will keep the scurvy away! :mrgreen:

Last edited:

jking615

Dang
A GM 6-110 I haven't heard or seen one of those in years.

I drove my 1st deuce from Alexandria,Va. to south Florida back in 1998 and my arse is still sore.

Make sure you post up your route before you leave to make the recovery and I'm sure members here who live along that route will post up to offer emergency help or storage if things should go south.

Though it is a good idea to flush out your brake system before adding dot 5, The military did not flush out system when they converted to it they just added it to the dot 3 (TB 43-0002-87 ), BTW dot 5 will NOT swell the old seals!.
Yeah, she was built in the 40's, and she just keeps cranking away in the hull of that old boat. Rebuilt it 3 times now, but it's more dependable than any Cat or cummins. No offense to cats or cummins, but detroit built one **** of an engine.

Trip path posted in pictures. Shortest possible driving distance according to google maps.

Attachments

icecreamman

Rusty, I once had a tstat go out on a recently rebuilt 240z going from Alabama to Wyoming 25yrs ago. I cut out a hole for a restrictor out of a beer can and made gaskets out of notebook covers and made it to Cheyenne in May "I think". 287? out of south Texas heading north? No Autozones, Checker's ,Oreiley's ,etc back then. Back then , no one had metrics.

levingtz

People drive waaaay to fast on I-95 for me to chance it with my deuce. May want to consider I-81 or another route. I drove my deuce from Unionville Indiana to DC, about 600 miles. Very boring, but I did enjoy it looking back. Get good rest, stop often to stretch your muscles, and post here on the forums if you are stranded on the side of the road. Lots of folks with MVs along your route that will help quickly.

If you can get a member from the forums to go PMCS it before you hit the road it would be a great help to you too.

jking615

We are driving up today. Good news, he is definitely running. The owner sent me pictures of it and video of it at 50. I will still be doing a full pmsc and extensive shake down drive. 700 mile trip, here we come.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks