• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Camper Apocalyptic?

OD_Coyote

Unclemikey has one fine looking rig that puts most other RVs to shame IMHO.
I would like to do something similar, but with pneumatic jacks at all four corners that run off the truck's air system, so I could load and unload the carmper with relative ease.

GoHot229

It's really a nice outfit and the possabilities of where you could travel are limmited only by clearance and traction. With the current economy in dis-aray, it certainly would secure ones ability to weather about any catastrophy that might arise, pluss the multi-fuel aspect. I'd imagine that securing 'goods' inside the camper would take a bit of forethought, but easily done. I'm getting that Gipsy feeling again....oh no......
It looks to appear to be right in the 13' range give or take....wonder about overpasses?

Last edited:

unclemikey

WOW....Thanks guys, I'am really taken back. :eek: Out of hot rods, bikes, boats and all other toys, it has been the most fun project I have ever had. A big plus, ( no lie here ) are the fellow members with whom we associate. A nicer bunch I have never known!

Your right that it is limited only by size. The bloody thing stands about 12' 6" with the A/C, so no low trees allowed. I live in the lower mountains about 6800 feet, but also have lots of high desert in the nearby areas. The camo colors try to match both types of terrain.

The truck ( Infidel) has more stuff on it than I would think possible. I tow an MKT (cargo), the top is locked in the up position short of the last 8". Being you have access to all sides of the trailer, it really makes for a lot of cargo that you can get to. Trailer looks dumb by itself, but in tow, the truck standing so tall, it really looks quite good, and all matches. It is about two times the size of a
M-105 and weights a lot less. Truck does not even know it's back there.

The truck carries 125 gal of fuel on board, plus nine jerry cans for fuel or gas for the generator. The trailer carries three more jerry cans and can carry another 50 gal of fuel. The truck has 80 pounds of propane, and the trailer 40 pounds more. I can take about 275 gal of water and about a year plus of food if need be. I have a solar setup to keep all the batteries up, and a generator for extra power when needed. The unit has 12 volt, 24 volt, 110 volt and 240 volt. Gas torches and arc welder. Has with head lights, driving lights (300,000 c.p.) , I.R. lights, back up lights, side lights. Some radio gear. Popped out the seats and put in some driving seats, much much better on my old butt. On an on the list goes.

With all this stuff ( good idea gone way to far), a neighbor called it .....
THE CAMPER APOCALYPIC, I guess the name stuck.

( P.S.) One of these days I will try to update some photos for those who are interrested.
Unclemikey

SamM

Unclemikey,
I'd love to see some updated pictures of your truck. It's the most incredible M35 that I have ever seen! When I was in the Army, back in the 80's, I trained on these things and have many, MANY hours in them. Loved them back then and even more now. You did a great job with your's.

My plans were to get a truck this Summer and bob it. I've also looked at the crewcab conversions as something I would like. Converting to Super Single wheels and tires were also on my list. Honestly, I like your's better! It seems like the perfect mix of a worktruck and a camper on steroids. I think with a dump conversion and a bed mounted winch, I could drag a camper into the bed when needed and then dump it off for hauling gravel and stuff around my place.

Thanks for showing us that simpler, really is better. The M35 is fine just as it is. :smile: I like all the other versions too but I think I just want a camping rig now!

SamM

Last edited:

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That rig is AWESOME!!:grin: There has got to be alot of places in Colorado to use that baby to its fullest extent. Im sure you truly are a happy camper.

waayfast

We have always admired that truck.I like the carrier on the front for the dirt bike .I could use a photo tutorial on how yours is built--I may build one for my truck. Also wonder if anyone on here has attempted a carrier on the rear of a Deuce for a 4-wheeler ATV.
Park--camp in the back of the truck--roll her 4-wheeler off the back carrier and my Honda XL185 off the front and go explore type of thing.
Where I would like to go is NOT trailer friendly.
Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks