• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Camper Apocalyptic?

Stan Leschert

You might as well get out the camera, and give us the current $0.50 tour. There has been a bunch of interest in campers, modified shelters, M109 conversions..... It will give us things to think about, while it is still cold enough to not want to pull wrenches,and find ways to get fresh paint to cure!

unclemikey

Current $ .50 tour

Well, I have done a bunch of little mods, see what you guys think.

I replaced the headlights with Hella H4 Halogen bulb types. The cost was just a little more than the stock replacements and the night vision is now very much better. While playing with the lights, I made some covers to protect the lights from road stones, and off road from branches, bushes, rocks, mud or any other thing that might damage them. Also made a cover for the winch to keep any and all bad junk from getting down into the winch. It looks a bit odd, but kind of grows on you. At first glance it looks like an A-3 as you can't see any headlights next to the radiator ( no funny hood).

I lowered the spare tire about 4 inches and mounted my generator over the spare. It works well there and is out of the way. If I reverse the rim/tire I will be able the bring the tire up two inches. That is only a loss of two inches of mid ground clearance. Good trade off to have a generator.

Inside the cab I built a overhead rack to mount the cab C.B. Radio on and store all the junk that clutters up the cab. This was a perfect location to mount the rear view camera screen. In the picture of the tailgate, you will note a "V"
painted. This "V" is functional. With the tailgate chained to the open position, and the camera mounted just over the camper door, you can back right in on target to a trailer using the "V" to guide you. Solo, first time ever time hook-up. I love that! I tried to take a pic to show you but it is just to cold outside right now and the screen is inop. If interrested, come spring warming, I will take a picture to show you how it works.

I mounted two more Jerry Cans to the rear of the camper. That now makes 11 mounted. Can mount 13. The trailer carries 3 more. Boy.....Thats what I need, more Jerry Cans!

Hard to get a picture of the mast I made for the campers C.B. Radio. It can be put up in about a minute, and stands about 15 feet tall. In the camper I have a second C.B. that has a Weather Alert System that I use to monitor. Good to have if you are out in the Boonies.

I mounted a small Fuel transfer pump just above the main fuel tank. This I can use to pump fuel to or from any tank to tank, or Jerry Can, Motorcycle Ect. Very handy to have.

I put in a snap of the side storage doors between the camper and the bed of the truck. Note the camp chair to give you an idea of just how much storage room there is on the sides of the unit. I can keep most all of my camping gear in the truck, the tools and larger things go in the trailer ( MKT-90 converted to cargo unit)

Anyhow, that is some of the fun things I have been up too. It is just to cold on my old bones to play right now. But Spring is coming, so my list of fun things to do is growing, and growing, and growing. Lets see what we can get into!

Attachments

rickf

I like the idea of the stock tire setup. Unlike the super singles if you get one flat in the rear you are not dead in the water. Also not trying to carry one monster spare. You have four built in spares if it comes down to it. That is one well thought out rig, well done.

Rick

M1031CMT

I always enjoy seeing pictures of his truck. I just painted my zombie apocalypse truck a standard Marine Forest green, so it doesn't stand out as much. But some times I wish I painted it up like that.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have always admired Mikes ingenuity, He is working on a new camper version and I am waiting for the results. You have to give it to the guy. He does a Deuce Proud...!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks