• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Centipede aka my new 1988 m35a2c

2deuce

Nice looking truck! It is really a plus to have good neighbors. I had to hide my deuces and 5 ton because I had a neighbor complaining to the authorities, and even tho he said the county misunderstood him, once the compliance dept got started they don't stop and they have a ordinance for everything. I had to sell one of my AF deuces and just now recovered one of my deuces I had parked at my sisters house. That neighbor moved, but I'm still taking it easy on repatriating my trucks. I had a nerve racking experience and don't want to go through that again.

Fuel filters are brand new, I just changed them out when I replaced the button clip on the HH. That was last October. And I haven't drove it hardly at all since then. And now zanther has it.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2deuce meant the filters on the F-250 that got the bad mileage I suspect.

I haven't tried to track mileage with Costco vs more expensive diesel. Mainly because I don't track mileage.

The cars do OK with their gas, and get what I expect for mileage.

AceRimmer101

IMG_20160506_180307.jpg

Hey neighbors. I live in Snohomish and work in Woodinville. I bought my 1970 M35a2 wo/w 4 months ago and have been tuning it up with the knowledge and advice from all you guys. I've seen a few of you around town before and look forward to meeting you at NAPA!

rustystud

View attachment 640747

Hey neighbors. I live in Snohomish and work in Woodinville. I bought my 1970 M35a2 wo/w 4 months ago and have been tuning it up with the knowledge and advice from all you guys. I've seen a few of you around town before and look forward to meeting you at NAPA!
Hey back at you ! I try not to shop at NAPA especially the one in Woodinville ! They rape you on price ! If I have to go to NAPA I go to the Redmond one. They sell things for almost "Half" what Woodinville sells it for. The Woodinville store is an Independent operator so they can "jack-up" the price. Mostly I buy online. I know the UPS driver by name !
So that makes four of us who live in this general area. We need to get together.

zanther

Got the fuel leak fixed, I think!

Having some problems with the starter not turning over now. In momentary on , I can hear the Clunk of the starter Relay. Limited Solider B time so I got just a few tests on the switched side of the relay, seems to be good. I've got a new relay on order through that website that's name is a river. $35 and it'll be here in 2 days. I've cleaned all the cable connections and tested for resistance per the TM. With the aforementioned limited Soldier B time, I've narrowed it down to either Starter or the Relay. Here's to hoping it's the relay! I haven't tested the Starter switch itself, this is a late model AirForce A2 with the momentary starter switch similar to an A3. At $110 per switch, I'll bet the Relay first.

Changed the batteries out this weekend as well, one wasn't holding a charge. Interstate Battery in Everett has Group 27 screw-post blems for $59 each.

Alas, that didn't solve my charging problem, pulled the plug and attempted to adjust the regulator voltage, no effect. Followed the TM and pretty sure I need at least a new regulator. I've found a "bench tested" alternator on the popular auction site for $175, seems that's about the best price I could find. Used or NOS Supply seems to be dwindling. Waiting to hear back from my local Alternator rebuild guy as well, if they can rebuild the one I currently have, I'll either have a spare or sell it back on the Auction site.

zanther

There are a number of Delco alternators that work with some bracket fabrication and a bit of pulley modification. There are a bunch of threads on the topic. Also available in kit form with brackets and pulley installed from at least one vendor. They do have the advantage of cheap rebuilds and reduced size also.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?31145-I-need-an-alternator

Turns out my "working" alternator from Epay; doesn't. Thanks for the link PJWest, I'm heavily considering converting to a civi alternator now. I think the new Alternator is a 3002AC, but it's got a wire on it, 566 that I haven't found in the Duece TM's yet so it's probably off something else and billed as fitting the m35.

Thankfully my brother-in-law was in town and he was able to help me dismount/remount the alternator.. That bracket is crazy hard to get to with my fuel filter in the way.

Still waiting to hear back from my alternator guy, runs it out of his Garage so it's more of a side business. I think I now have 2 alternators to rebuild.

I also took apart my starter relay and cleaned the bottom contacts, the starter cranks every time I turn the switch now. Glad it was that easy, and I can return my $30 Amazon 24v starter relay so I'm not out anything. Definitely a learning moment, dealing with the intermittent starter relay not-working issue made me very nervous in Seattle traffic.

Went Friday and picked up my new-to-me 12r20's that I won off GP. After getting them home, I've found at least 3 of the 8 are junk, cuts in the sidewall. I need to PM Jwade and see if that's just the risk I took or if there's a refund option.

I also got a few loads of recycled asphalt from the local nursery to expand my driveway/parking area. Seems that they get questions about my truck whenever I'm in there regarding age, ownership, cool factor. I might have to get a flyer or something made to hand out.

Also started installing my new muffler, the 3550XL, I need to stop by Napa on my way home today and get a 6 Inch clamp to finish mounting it. Sounds great at idle, I need to get it on the road and test the sound reduction.

20160905_204506248_iOS.jpg20160901_014705000_iOS.jpg

zanther

I decided to bite the bullet today and do the same, bought the setup from Wolverine and it's in the mail tomorrow. Now I've got to try to return this non-working one I got from the auction site.

Last edited:

rustystud

Turns out my "working" alternator from Epay; doesn't. Thanks for the link PJWest, I'm heavily considering converting to a civi alternator now. I think the new Alternator is a 3002AC, but it's got a wire on it, 566 that I haven't found in the Duece TM's yet so it's probably off something else and billed as fitting the m35.

Thankfully my brother-in-law was in town and he was able to help me dismount/remount the alternator.. That bracket is crazy hard to get to with my fuel filter in the way.

Still waiting to hear back from my alternator guy, runs it out of his Garage so it's more of a side business. I think I now have 2 alternators to rebuild.

I also took apart my starter relay and cleaned the bottom contacts, the starter cranks every time I turn the switch now. Glad it was that easy, and I can return my $30 Amazon 24v starter relay so I'm not out anything. Definitely a learning moment, dealing with the intermittent starter relay not-working issue made me very nervous in Seattle traffic.

Went Friday and picked up my new-to-me 12r20's that I won off GP. After getting them home, I've found at least 3 of the 8 are junk, cuts in the sidewall. I need to PM Jwade and see if that's just the risk I took or if there's a refund option.

I also got a few loads of recycled asphalt from the local nursery to expand my driveway/parking area. Seems that they get questions about my truck whenever I'm in there regarding age, ownership, cool factor. I might have to get a flyer or something made to hand out.

Also started installing my new muffler, the 3550XL, I need to stop by Napa on my way home today and get a 6 Inch clamp to finish mounting it. Sounds great at idle, I need to get it on the road and test the sound reduction.

View attachment 642430View attachment 642431
You won these tires from the Gov Liquidation sale ? Then there is no return on them. They sell them as "Scrap" and they let you know that in the description. That's why you really need to go down there and check everything out before you bid.
I have gotten really burned a few times ! One time though I won too much ! I bid on some file cabinets and file folder cabinets. The description said 5 items. What it really was, was five "Pallets" !!! A total of 30 cabinets ! I had to leave over half of them there in the scrap bin as my truck could only hold so much and I didn't have enough time to come back later and get the rest.

zanther

Dang Rusty, that's a lot of cabinents!

I wouldn't have bid on them if they said Scrap or any it's synonyms. In fact there wasn't a description other than "Lot of (4) Michelin XZL 12.00R20 Tires". I did ask the guys in the yard what they'd looked at and they specifically told me they'd checked for cuts or gashes that would make it inoperable, which is why I just loaded them up on the truck and headed home. Most of the cuts are >2 inches long and hard to see unless you flex the sidewall and are looking for them. But now that I know, I'll search for alternative sources when I'm truly ready to upgrade tires. I might need to find a local source for some NDT tires within the next year and just roll NDT"s until I'm ready for the spendy purchase of tires/rims/(adapters?)

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the scrap is denoted by something in the lot numbering. But I haven't read the rules that close.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll take a further look, I'd like to know I was just silly in not reading correctly vs not being correctly informed.
Oh wait... GP is now selling tires w/o rims. Hmmm... I'm betting they got a scrap contract for them, and the tires w/ wheels will still show up on GL.

rustystud

I think the scrap is denoted by something in the lot numbering. But I haven't read the rules that close.
The last lot of tires I bought at Fort Lewis I talked with the manager. He told me "all" tire sales are "Scrap" sales and he couldn't guarantee the quality of any tires. They do "try" and put together a lot with some good tires, but they also have some "not so good tires" in each lot . After all they do need to get rid of all the tires. Thankfully the last lot I bought had eight almost new and new tires, ten with over 80 percent tread and two that where garbage.

zanther

Installed my Pioneer tool rack last night. Now I've got to find the thread that someone wrote on the available tools to go on it.

Also does anyone have the NSN for the remote air tank drains in this photo? I like them a lot but can't find a part # for repairs in the future.

20160909_030253544_iOS.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks