• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The clicking, the clicking!

Milbikes

I have a strange click in my dash, and it sounds like a relay. Today I started the truck, and drove around the hay field, listening to it click (Bumps seem to aggravate it, smooth road gives no click). I reached under the dash and pulled out one relay at a time, test drove it, and still had a clicking. The ones I removed are two small black relays up high to the left of the steering column, and silver round flashers on fuse box. I kept my hand on the large relay box hanging off the wiring harness under the steering column, that didn't feel like it was clicking. The relay behind the dash near the ash tray area, I can't get my big head under there. The clicking seems to be behind the dash up high. Could that glow plug relay on the firewall be telegraphing the click sound inside the truck? I notice that if I hit the brakes and skid to a stop on a gravel road, the click becomes a chatter, so it seems sensitive to movement. I see what looks like a white relay with BOSCH on it WAY up in the dash behind the gauges. Could that be it? Stumped.

rnd-motorsports

sounds to me that you have a loose braket or something like I had. Mine has a dash pad replacement cover on it glued over the old one and was loose around the defroster duct took me awhile to find it sounded like a snapping sound under the dash the kind that drives you nut's! put a couple of screws in it and now is QUITE! what I 'm suggesting is dont limit the serch to only a relay. [thumbzup] GOOD LUCK FINDING THE SORCE!

bronconut

i had that too, it was a hunck of mud on a wire tapping on the fire wall. **** it drove me nuts took me a week to find it. good luck

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remove the dash pad, just a few screws holding it on. The tech manual shows how to do it. Then have someone else drive and you look/listen for the clicking.

This will allow you to see what is going on

There is a relay that is at the top of the dash area behind the instrument cluster. It is the Blackout Light relay.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/50551-cucv-switches-diodes-relays.html

Last edited:

tbearatkin

Hard to say but the clicking I get is the Glow Plug (GP) relay. You are right does not do it all the time and it drives you crazy wondering why it clicks like it does. Best answer will prob be to install a button(momentary switch) to control the GP and that should solve the clicking if it is the GP relay.

Milbikes

Dash pictures really help!

Thanks for those pictures of 'inside the dash'. Now I know what I will be looking for/at as I try to solve the click. H.

pwrwagonfire

Our old M1009 at work had this exact problem....annoying as **** isn't it? :razz:

Someone had mentioned they thought it had something to do with the speedo, cause it got faster and slower as the truck did, and the speedometer stopped working....but I really don't know how fact based that was, or it was just wishful thinking!

One of the guys got so pissed one day and started kicking the **** out of the dash...the clicking stopped, and didn't return....well I guess thats one way to do it :roll:

Milbikes

Dash clicking solved

So today I went to move the sun visor to block the sun. When I touched it, I heard that dreaded click! It is the sun visor!!!! Sounds just like it is coming from the dash. Anyone have M1008 sun visors they could part with (Not if they click though).

Dizzle

I know it wasn't your problem, but maybe it will help someone reading this later since it seems some people did have the GP relay clicking on random. I had the same issue, and yes it will burn up the glow plugs. At least in my case I saw the volt meter drop while I was driving and it was randomly clicking on. I also had my "low coolant" illuminate and few times one of the turn signal indicators around the same time as clicking. It turned out to be the fusable ground link between the engine intake and firewall. It's under the air cleaner, and after mine burned up, it was hard to see it was even there before. Rather random, since there are plenty of grounds that should carry on to the firewall without it...

tbearatkin

I am going to have to look for that fusible link. I also could see the volt drop as my relay clicked on and off. Right now I take the small wire off my GP relay after the truck warms up to stop it. Now sometimes the Wait light comes on when I take off and sometimes when I am driving down the road. Thanks now I can add this to my list to check when I am looking at other possible areas.

camojcory

i too have just recently run into this problem. the truck started making a rapid clicking sound, more like a chatter, during and after start up. the volt meter jumps around and wait light flickers at the same time. it doesn't seem to do it everytime you start it and it stops after it's warmed up.

i just installed a new GP relay and GPs 2 months ago (no problems, just bought it and did it for good measure), i don't want to screw those up. any pics of the fusible ground link? or any other known causes of this?

UNIMOG-GUY

Yet another reason why I love this forum. I was going to get on here and post a question about this same problem that I am having with the same symptoms. When the truck starts up it will occasionally make the chatter with the volt meter bouncing all over.

Going to replace the GP relay...off to napa.

Hoolio

How about the speedometer cable needing a little lube.. Is the needle steady or zig-zagging back and forth ?? Disconnect it from the speedo and pull the cable out of the outer sheath and white grease it .. Slip it back in and try it..