• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The first pics of my HEMTT project !

Nic7320

If a 4 wheel vehicle (such as the LVS version) had all four wheels pointing the same way, it wouldn't actually turn, it would just crab diagonally. One set has to have a different steering angle.

On the other hand, if the two sets steer opposite directions, it could turn in its own length!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no first-hand knowledge of the functions, but it seems to me that.....

:idea:In order to position the power unit in front of the trailing unit, then presumably, the back axle of the power unit should be lockable to provide steerability. Then reset to 4-wheel streering to facilitate managing the 4-steer+4-straight=8-wheel-drive configuation.:idea:

Can anyone prove or disprove this "theory":?:

4trans

they ran at a limited speed without a trailer. That mode was basically just to position them and connect them to trailers and to move them around they were rarely driven without a trailer

Jones

On HEMTTs, both front axles steer but one has a slightly tighter turning radius than the other.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but it's my understanding that the LVS power units can do this (slew steer) or lock the second steer axle and only steer with the first.
In "normal" operation, the first steer axle is active, the second steer is locked and the articulated joint between power unit and whatever trailer it's coupled to has hydraulic rams which also assist in steering.

iBOX

The last posting was a long time ago and I'm brand new to this (or any) forum so I may just be in the wrong place.
I just purchased a 1985 Mk48/17 and 18 RBU (Rear body unit) and was wondering if there is anyone still active on this site who has any knowledge of these vehicles? I am getting ready to start customizing and playing but thought I should try to gain some knowledge first.