• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Gathering , Pigeon Forge TN

vtdeucedriver

papabear said:
Well Driver523 if it's God's will the Proud American Guntruck will be there. The uglyranger and I discussed it this morning - we both plan on being there - we may even bring an extra little something if things go right.
This will be my first one and I'm looking forward to it!!
He riding with you guys or is he tagging along in his mutt???

Driver523

FrankUSMC tell the guy that was on Lil Sure Shot we'd love to hook up with him again, and everyone else I'd like to Thank for your interest, we have a great time at these Gatherings--Tailgate till the wee hours--and with anything you may bring will only make it better, We are not an organization, no dues or obligations, we just kinda spread the word of where things will be held, We take care of ourselves and the cookin is great, check back up the thread for lodging and such--and again Thanks a Ton-------Larry (Driver)

Driver523

I have waited for the owners/operators to speak up before stealing their thunder about attending and with that now being done here is a list of the gun trucks that have said they plan on attending this years Gathering at Pigeon Forge Tn.
First off Jeff of Tactical Truck has said he plans on being there if things work out---He was with us two years ago at Fort Eustis.
then---
Proud American
Ace of Spades
Black Widow
Untouchable
Satans Lil Angel
Wild Thing
Psychotic Reaction
Thanks again for your time-----------Larry---( Driver )

m816

Hey all, That sure was a nice picture of the Untouchable, Satans lil Angel and the Aces n' Eights. I just want everyone to know that the Untouchable has been succesfuly transported to the Tenn. Mansion where it will have some RR until August when we will meet up for the great Convoy of Guntrucks into Pigeon Forge. To Honor a Gathering of Guntruckers. These brave men went above and beyond to protect their brother truckers like no others before and now the tradition continues with those who serve in Irac. We have passed the knowlege and lessons learned to a new generation of Guntruckers .Now they can carry on. Those of us who have built the replicas do so in humble recognition of their bravery and commitment. Any one who wants to join up with a great bunch of guys, come on down in August. It will be a great time and great food and you will see the LARGEST COLLECTION of Guntrucks ever seen out side of Vietnam. Only time will tell if this can ever be repeated with the cost of fuel and the age of some of the Vets, so come on down and take part in HIstory. Thank you, Vinny, owner of the Untouchable and one of the Jersey Crew

Driver523

We're all getting short for The Gathering at Pigeon Forge--I just thought I'd give all a heads up on first off the Lodging--There are still some rooms but they will not be blocked after July 5th--Thats the cut off date--after that rooms will be had only on their availibility but our rate will still be in place if you can get one (check page one for details)---Next here is our press release, Please feel free to post it to other sites or as a flyer---Thanks everyone for your involvment----------------Larry

LARGEST ASSEMBLY OF VIETNAM GUN TRUCK REPLICAS EVER

AT PIGEON FORGE, TENNESSEE, AUG 05, thru AUG 09, 2008.

In Vietnam from late 1967 thru 1973 there were well over 500 armored gun trucks of various types providing much needed protection for supply convoys from enemy attack. These gun trucks could quickly react and repel enemy ambushes and act as a true deterrent to attacks by all but a few Viet Cong and NVA soldiers foolhardy enough to try such a suicidal mission. Many of the attacks could be attributed to the fact that the enemy higher ups placed a substantial bounty on gun trucks and their crew members. This drives home the fact at how the enemy viewed gun trucks and how valuable gun trucks really were.

Eve Of Destruction was the only gun truck to ever make it back to the U.S., preserved and proudly displayed at the U.S. Army Transportation Museum at Fort Eustis Virginia. However, a number of people, many former gun truckers themselves, have paid tribute and faithfully replicated some of these awesome gun trucks.

These stunning recreations or replicas are correct, including armor, weaponry and colorful graphics. This is your chance to see these Vietnam gun trucks as they really were, in all their glory and impressive beauty.

Vehicles will be assembling early in Rogersville, Tennessee on the morning of August 5th, 2008. From there, a convoy will make the 1-1/2 to 2 hour drive to Pigeon Forge where the trucks will be on display at the Gathering/Reunion at the Twin Mountain Inn & Suites from August 5th thru August 9th, 2008.

Don’t miss this once in a lifetime chance to see these beautiful gun trucks just as they appeared in Vietnam.

For additional information please email Larry Fiandt at Driver523rd@aol.com

James Lyles; Author; The Hard Ride; Vietnam Gun Trucks

Driver523

Ok my friends--here's the latest--ITs now started--The trucks are starting to move--Of coarse the Ace is there, The Untouchable is already at Buds, Mark just called and arrangments are made to haul Satan's Lil Angel, Arangments have been made for Proud American, Psychotic Reaction is staged in the museum in Auburn Indiana ready to move, Ron Smith with the Black Widow is talking to a trucking broker and ready to move Widow, and Wild Thing will leave Randys and make the run in one day----I have always believed It only gets better--and it always has--but this my friends will be hard to beat----Hopefully with some plans that are in the making and any other ideas, we will be able to help these owner operators that have gone far and beyond anything we have dreamed of to get these vehicles to the Gathering under the hardest times ever imagined to move anything that uses any kind of fuel---Hats off to everyone involved---------Hope to see any of the Steelsoldiers gang and anything they can bring--but if you wanna see gun truck replicas this is the time--Aug. 5th through the 9th Pigeon Forge TN. at the Twin Mountain Properties, there is still a hand full of rooms left, just let em know your with the Gathering for our discount--for any other info mail me at Driver523rd@aol.com Hope you can make it-----Driver

lstmate

What I want to know is....

What I want to know is how do I talk you guys into holding another gathering in Evansville next year during the MVPA convention? The setup will allow for the tailgating to go as long as you want.

MarineTracs

Hey Larry (Driver523),
Are you guys planning on going back to Ft Eustis in the next few years? I am one of the jarheads that set up camp on base when you guys came up (I drove my '71 Mutt up last time). I have since sold the Mutt but acquired an M37 and I would love to drive the Ft Eustis trails with all of you guys. I am truly sorry that I will not be able to see all the trucks at Pigeon Forge, just can't swing time off from work. Welcome home to all of you Nam Vets and thank you for your service!

Driver523

The line of march has started for the gun trucks attending the Gathering at Pigeon Forge Tenn.---The Untouchable is in Tenn. and will soon be moved to Sammys place for the convoy to Pigeon Forge, arrangements have been made for all the trucks attending and Jeff says he should be there with his V-100---Here's a photo of the Black Widow with Sams M-37 and the Ace of Spades at Sammys---won't be long and the place will be full of gun trucks----"It only gets better"---enjoy----Driver

Attachments

Driver523

Chuck--I remember you guys well---ya had some great stuff, sorry to hear ya got rid of the mutt though, she is a real beauty--Not sure when we'll be back to Fort Eustis--But it is always a great time-----Driver