• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The "HOOD IN THE FACE" club

91W350

The year was 1976, the vehicle was a nice 1958 Chevy 4x4 Napco Conversion. The speed was someplace around 80, the "O.S" factor was very high. The damage was to the hood, windshield, and roof. The truck had a roof mounted spotlight that withstood the impact, but really exaggerated the damage. I managed to watch white stripes go by until I found an intersection. Add me to both clubs. Glen

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did it once in the 818. Luckily I was on a two lane road only doing 35MPH. Saw the hood bounce and pulled over to remedy the problem before catastrophe. Haven't done it since. I also check the hold downs with the lights. I just got a new (to me) hood so I will be doubly careful. As a side note, M809 series hoods are not that easy to find.

BTW...how long did it take to extricate your seat cushion from your backside:?::?::shock::shock:

Darwin T

been there and done that on Halloween 2011! mine spring latches were hooked when i did my walk around one of my M35a2. after driving down a bumpy dirt road i got up on the highway and was going 50 MPH and bam! it was a dtraight away and i had my A/C on (drivers window down). leaned out and pulled over. got the hood down and noticed the grill was out past where it should have been. had to use my lug wrench to beat the grill back into place so i could latchthe hood back. i think the grill moved just enough that the latches did not lacth all the way when i climbed up to check under the hood (oil, water ect) using the grill as a handle.

Blueduce

You think that's bad. I had my hood fly open at 0.0mph. Thanks to these Texas winds I was on the fender lifting the hood for my pre-flight PMCS. Mama and the pups where already in the cab. When the 25mph gust hit. The hood was ripped out of my hand and hit the windshield with great force and a loud bang. Mama bailed out one side of the cab and the pups came out the other. It looked like someone tossed a grenade in the cab. I almost came off the fender I was laughing so hard.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You think that's bad. I had my hood fly open at 0.0mph. Thanks to these Texas winds I was on the fender lifting the hood for my pre-flight PMCS. Mama and the pups where already in the cab. When the 25mph gust hit. The hood was ripped out of my hand and hit the windshield with great force and a loud bang. Mama bailed out one side of the cab and the pups came out the other. It looked like someone tossed a grenade in the cab. I almost came off the fender I was laughing so hard.

On a somewhat related note.....

Having a HOOD fly up in the wind might be HAIR-RAISING, but has anyone here ever had one of these fly up in a gust (WITHOUT Engines)????????

Amazing video of 747 lifting in place in extreme wind conditions - 1080P HD - YouTube

Goose2448

I have yet to join this club and hope I dont. I have however left the pintle open after hooking up a trailer I am not used too ( I tow the same trailer all the time and have an order that I follow all the time, and when the crap trailers at work are missing something it screws me up). Thankfully I have only ever moved a few feet when this has happened to re-position the truck.

jasonjc

I had it happen too.

I also found the other day that the rivets that hold the spring latch head on, had broke. The only thing holding it together was paint. So check the spring latches real good, not just a quick look. Give them a good hard pull.2cents

FrankUSMC

You are very lucky Joe, around 1995 that happened with a 5 ton at Camp Lejeune, but the young Marine was killed. His co-driver was injured. Reading the story it sounded like the 5 ton did not have a windshield assembly on it and, this part I remember, it was being driven to DRMO for turn in.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you ever own a 94-02 dodge truck you will make it a habit of always checking your hood. There's a reason you don't see hoods or hinges for them at the junk yard fat lady sings

I had a 94 Dodge. Got the oil changed at the local Jiffy Lube. I got onto the interstate on-ramp and was talking to my wife on the cell phone and was shifting the truck into 5th right at 70mph when the hood hit the windshield. My wife yelled what was that because she heard through the phone. I just said I'll call you back, hung up the phone and pulled over.

New hood and windshield all paid for by the lube company insurance.

Then a couple of years later I get safety recall because the hood latches corrode and fail (I'm guessing at speed).

This trick (much like a stuck throttle) is not to panic.

Glad only only your hood (and pride) was hurt.

rebel_raider

I (knock on wood) have never had that happen to me. However, the previous owner did it to my deuce. Managed to get it mostly beat out, but it still has a little bit of a crease to it.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a 94 Dodge. Got the oil changed at the local Jiffy Lube. I got onto the interstate on-ramp and was talking to my wife on the cell phone and was shifting the truck into 5th right at 70mph when the hood hit the windshield. My wife yelled what was that because she heard through the phone. I just said I'll call you back, hung up the phone and pulled over.

Then a couple of years later I get safety recall because the hood latches corrode and fail (I'm guessing at speed).

I had a '95 Dodge and had the same situation except for the cell phone.

And I had just changed the oil myself.

And I had gotten the recall notice, but hadn't gotten around to getting it fixed.

So I ended up cursing myself and bending everything back into shape myself. Only left a slight misalignment of the hood and a small tear in the hood over the firewall.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Had the same situation with a '95 Dodge, only it was my fault. I had just changed the oil and didn't close it all the way, and I knew about the recall but hadn't done anything yet.

pvtjorge

It happened to me in a Datsun pickup about 25yrs ago doing 25mph as I was entering a county road to pickup speed. Bam! Failure to latch hood properly.

kd4iff

Had the hood come up on a 65 CJ5 . Had to raise the hood to turn the choke off. The wife asked for a ride and I forgot to latch either hook. That is a sound and site I will never forget.

rickf

Had the hood come up on a 65 CJ5 . Had to raise the hood to turn the choke off. The wife asked for a ride and I forgot to latch either hook. That is a sound and site I will never forget.
Which sound and sight? The hood or the wife's reaction?:p

dependable

I have a 98 Dodge that I bought a couple of years ago. No idea if the recall was done. Did it cover the 98?

Rick
I did a carfax check on when I bought my 1995 Dodge 2500.(about 6 years ago) The report showed that the factory recall on the hood latch had never been done. The local Dodge dealer replaced latch at no cost to me, along with a couple electrical fixes that showed up. A recall problem with the front spring mount was not fixed because the said their shop was not qualified.

SMOKEWAGON66

Luckily (knock on wood) I have never had a hood flip up on me. Ive had tool boxes come open, and even had the orange cover from a warning beacon fly off but thats about it. Bout the only "oops" I can think of was hooking to a M172 lowboy thats landing gears didnt work so it hand sand shoes on. I pulled the pins on the sand shoes to move the trailer into the motorpool, and figured they would slide off and go under the trailer as I rolled forward...however they did not, and when I got to the 3 inch bump up to the pavement, the landing gears both got bent back lol...oops!

danny81

Happened to me in a 90 GMC 1/2 ton, I had just got up to about 45-50 mph and I was about halfway across interstate 55 Mississippi Bridge. Luckily it was 2 am and not much traffic

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks