• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The new EPA fuel cans suck!!!

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just spent 15 minutes trying to get the diesel out of a yellow plastic can. Those stupid nozzles are about useless. What have others used to replace that stupid nozzle? I need to buy one that actually works.
Thanks

tim292stro

Scepter military fuel cans rather than Scepter consumer fuel cans. Or just take off the lid and use a funnel.

[RANT] I genuinely believe that either the legislators want to stop people from fueling equipment from portable containers, or they never held a fuel can in their lives...

My first experience with the "spill proof" cans was getting drenched in about a gallon of spilled fuel because it was impossible to hold open the self-closing neck while holding the can covered in morning dew - AND stick the big fat nozzle into the car's fuel filler. I wanted to mail my outfit to the nearest lawmaker but thought better of it, and made sure that no-one from my neck of the woods got reelected the next time around.

The most moronic part about the self-closing cans is that they don't have a vent separate from the nozzle. I could maybe understand this on a gasoline can, but for diesel where the pressure of vaporization is so high that vapor recovery is not even required - I have no idea why they thought it was necessary to mess up everyone's lives other than "they could". [/RANT]
:rant:

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remove the nozzles & go to local home-improvement store to pick up appropriate-sized bushings & threaded PVC fittings...then use clear vinyl hose with screw-on caps (insert bushings with threaded ends) for fast, easy, spill-proof fillups.

You can also add manual Schrader valves for venting while filling.

mikey

This summer I went to cut up a fallen tree with my chainsaw. I didn't realize there was pressure built up in the gas can, it wasn't bulging or anything obvious and the thought never even crossed my mind. As I was preparing the saw out in the yard, I pressed the handy dandy button on the gas can spigot and my entire face, eyes and all got covered with gas as the built up pressure was expelled it from the can. I literally could not open my eyes and they burned like they were on fire. I had to crawl on the ground 50 feet or so, blinded and feeling my way, to get to my hose and turn on the water to flush my eyes.

These cans are BS. And as Carnac stated, even on a good day you spill more than you used to.

Government over regulation at its finest.

Mikey

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found this and bought one on Amazon to see how it works. I'll let you know. Thanks for all the reply's.
[h=1]Replacement Spout - Water Jug or Gas Can Spout - Deluxe Hi-Flo System With 8" Extension[/h]

BEASTMASTER

yep ,those are really intelligent pieces of crap. I reached in with long nose pliers and ripped all that crap out of the nozzle. our tax $$$ are paying people to come up with this crap and make our lives miserable. we are DOOMED

aleigh

Good luck for DOT to prove date of manufacture... The "old" cans are grandfathered under CARB iirc. My scepters don't have dates on them. Canadian company, I doubt they particularly care, especially for the contract cans. How old are these cans? I don't recall, I bought them used...

Jozseph

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I twisted the fancy nozzle attachment until it came off the spout and with a big grin threw it away. I might be able to use the spring sometime though. It was angering me that I had to go through all of the gymnastics to get fuel out of the can, and when it did, the flow was so slow I was further frustrated. After ripping off this contraption, behind the handle in the top of the can, I punched a 1/4" hole into which I insert a steel pin to seal it, removing the pin to vent and pour out the fuel at a volume a man can live with. I found a pipe end cap that fits over the nozzle to seal it for travel.
I am an older design engineer trying to use common sense in my designs but these days some of these apparently out of touch guys and their computers design stuff that is totally ridiculous. They and the EPA regulators that force it should be confined in a cell and forced to work with the ridiculous designs they put out for every hour of every day until they learn some sense.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks