• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The new guy here

usabamaman

Welcome from Alabama. There are plenty of things to look for but you are probably aware of most of them with the Suburban. You will probably want to add 2 cycle oil to the diesel for lubrication for the injectors and the injection pump.

AZK9

Welcome from Arizona! Good luck with your efforts to find the MV
that's best for you! By joining here, you've taken a good first step! [thumbzup]

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome.

I also am fairly new to CUCV's

The truck WILL have issues. Plan on it.

Read the TMs! Read the stickies! Read the old post!

Almost any problem that comes up on you will have already happened to someone else.
Lots of help here but search first!
This site is a goldmine of info and plenty of guys with stellar knowledge on these trucks.

Take your time. Tackle one issue at a time.
Buy the best parts you can afford.
Stay on top of Maintenance. I cannot stress that enough.
Prevents little problems from becoming big expensive problems.

I drive my M1008A1 everyday.
Have over 4K miles on it since it was brought back to life.
Purrs a kitten.

Love the truck

CAUTION!!!
They are addicting!!!!
As the saying goes, you can't have just one!

Last edited:

GunnyM1009

Welcome from Alabama. There are plenty of things to look for but you are probably aware of most of them with the Suburban. You will probably want to add 2 cycle oil to the diesel for lubrication for the injectors and the injection pump.
On the lubrication aspect I keep a gallon of Lucas fuel system treatment in Gunny. I put in a little every time I fill up. Diesel just doesn't have the lubricants in it that it used to so you need some type of additive for proper lubrication.

98AmericanTruck

Alright I do have one quick question, and I am sure I will sound like an idiot but how do you say "M1008"? Is it like "M one hundred-eight? Or M one zero zero eight? As you know im new to these and I honestly don't know how to say it right. And I'd prefer not looking like an idiot when I go talk about one with someone. Thanks guys.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I usually say
m ten oh eight
m ten oh nine
m ten ten
m ten twenty eight
m ten thirty one

I usually just say CUCV, and I don't spell it out as "see you see vee".

Assel

I once heard someone say M ten zero nine ..so I adapted that for me ..however : make sure you put 2 good batteries in, with lousy batteries electrical gremlins are not far away! , then replace all filters & fluids, service the Hubs, check the Driveshafts etc. lube everything, clean the connections on the bus bar on the firewall where the big cables go. If it doesnt fire right up even in - degrees something is wrong! , dont mind to ask any questions here, were all here to help :D For lnjection pump lubrication I pour some 2stroke oil into the tank before filling the Diesel in, not much just a medium glass ..roughly :D

doing the doghead relay mod is strongly recommended, you can ignore it but dont blame us when your CUCV burns down due to a stuck starter relay...

oh and welcome from southern Germany

98AmericanTruck

I once heard someone say M ten zero nine ..so I adapted that for me ..however : make sure you put 2 good batteries in, with lousy batteries electrical gremlins are not far away! , then replace all filters & fluids, service the Hubs, check the Driveshafts etc. lube everything, clean the connections on the bus bar on the firewall where the big cables go. If it doesnt fire right up even in - degrees something is wrong! , dont mind to ask any questions here, were all here to help :D For lnjection pump lubrication I pour some 2stroke oil into the tank before filling the Diesel in, not much just a medium glass ..roughly :D

doing the doghead relay mod is strongly recommended, you can ignore it but dont blame us when your CUCV burns down due to a stuck starter relay...

oh and welcome from southern Germany
Now, is this dog head relay just a replacement for the stock starter relay? Or is there some more work to the mod?

GunnyM1009

Now, is this dog head relay just a replacement for the stock starter relay? Or is there some more work to the mod?
Yes it is a 4 post solenoid that is alot more dependable than the stock relay. There are several posts here about it and a couple of videos in utube just search for doghead starter mod the only work is a little wire cutting and ring terminal crimping

98AmericanTruck

Well I stopped and looked at an M1008 and it was real rusty, no batteries, and the employees at the yard were pretty... Not interested in helping me check it out. (They have a much nicer one that sits by the shop that I couldn't get a chance to look at)
so the search continues, for now I'm just gonna do some research around the forum until I find the one!
thanks again guys for all the help

wafinley

Steel Soldiers Supporter
lol....When I got out of the service and went into a guard unit that got these vehicles, we always called them M Ten oh eights. I think you can call it what ever makes you happy! ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks