• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The new look of my Dodge M880

Danger Ranger

I love that truck, that guy has a whole site about it and stuff. Not the best, but the truck looks sweet. (Yeah, i know its not completely practical...)

Like the paint job -- looks like period camo for the mid 70's. I remember back in 78 or so we had to have all of our vehickles in my unit in Germany repainted to the new camo scheme.

I remember going to Heilbron to pick up new 887 contact trucks. Drove them back on the Autobahn at 90 mph. The front ends were squirrely at that speed, with all the weight in the back.
The M880s I knew and loved in the Army were definitely not capable of traveling at 90 mph. I would be willing to concede that you were [probably] traveling at 90 kph on the Autobahn, but you'd get passed by a lot of Germans at that speed. As the original configuration of the M880 in Army service was manual steering unless the front end was seriously damaged or maladjusted the trucks were not known for squrrelly handling. At least that was my experience.

The M880 I bought from a dealer last year had been in the Forest Service and had had power steering fitted to it for that role. I agree a welcome upgrade. It still isn't very fast however. The fastest I have had it on the freeway is to 65 mph, but the stock 318 V-8 howls like it's going to explode if I try to force it to move faster and the aggressive knobby tires that are on the truck makes the truck wander alarmingly over road bumps and cracks. I find that 55 mph to 60 mph is fast enough.

I still prefer my M880 to any of the Chevy CUCVs that I had the pleasure to use when I was serving.

4-64 Armor

I never had the opportunity to drive M880s (or Chevy CUCVs, they came much later) when I was in the Army. The M880 series trucks were not sent to my unit, we had Gama Goats for 5/4s instead. I bought my M882 about a month ago from a guy that bought it from a government auction at Camp Atterbury. I really like it. I had to do some minor electrical work. But the cab and bed are in really good shape. I found a decal inside the glove box door that indicates the truck was rust-proof by Chrysler per some military standard... and it appears they did a good job!

admiralking

The End Of The World As We Know It (TEOTWAWKI... Pronounced Tia-two-walkie).

Most vehicles pre-1980 don't have electronic/digital circuitry and, thus, will still run after an EMP strike (electro-magnetic pulse).

But until then...

IMG_1167.jpgWe use it for cutting firewood!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks