• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The next Project an ASMH

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The next item we need to pay some attention to is something that we can use to pick a load of 8800 lbs....hopefully not, but, it would be nice to have it up and operating.

IIRC, I will give the data plates a gander and some pictures, is an M62 wrecker. I know it ran when parked, was ran out of fuel where it sits, but I have never seen or heard it run. It will need hydraulic hoses, new cable for the boom at a minimum, possibly....most likely....a carb rebuild, a fuel pump, an oil, fuel, hydraulic service, and of course, brakes :sneaky:

I thought the brakes were locked up, but I have been told that the last time the tug was out in the yard, it was tugged on and actually moved! We will see!

Started widening the entrance to the shop and my bay today, cause I know it will be a pig to turn with no power anywhere.

project.jpg

We need it up and running for this,
project 1.jpg

The RH brake is locked up. It was parked, it sat for a bit, and a bit later we went to move it and the brake was stuck. Did a MC, nope, pulled the cover off the bottom and off the side of the trans, manually released the brake, STILL stuck on. the only thing I didn't do was a neutral steer.

It has been about 5 years since we discovered the locked up brake, guess it is time to delve into it, so, the wrecker needs a resurrection.

BLK HMMWV

The next item we need to pay some attention to is something that we can use to pick a load of 8800 lbs....hopefully not, but, it would be nice to have it up and operating.

IIRC, I will give the data plates a gander and some pictures, is an M62 wrecker. I know it ran when parked, was ran out of fuel where it sits, but I have never seen or heard it run. It will need hydraulic hoses, new cable for the boom at a minimum, possibly....most likely....a carb rebuild, a fuel pump, an oil, fuel, hydraulic service, and of course, brakes :sneaky:

I thought the brakes were locked up, but I have been told that the last time the tug was out in the yard, it was tugged on and actually moved! We will see!

Started widening the entrance to the shop and my bay today, cause I know it will be a pig to turn with no power anywhere.

View attachment 905355

We need it up and running for this,
View attachment 905356

The RH brake is locked up. It was parked, it sat for a bit, and a bit later we went to move it and the brake was stuck. Did a MC, nope, pulled the cover off the bottom and off the side of the trans, manually released the brake, STILL stuck on. the only thing I didn't do was a neutral steer.

It has been about 5 years since we discovered the locked up brake, guess it is time to delve into it, so, the wrecker needs a resurrection.
I still want to see you dial in the carb on that radial in the other tank.
since you don't have much hair left up top to burn off ducking under the exhaust.
I can man an extinguisher.
We can practice the stop, drop, and roll a few times.
Where is that on the list of to do's?
BH aka pot stirrer.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still want to see you dial in the carb on that radial in the other tank.
since you don't have much hair left up top to burn off ducking under the exhaust.
I can man an extinguisher.
We can practice the stop, drop, and roll a few times.
Where is that on the list of to do's?
BH aka pot stirrer.
We have chatted about that too. There needs to be a coordinated effort to get 5 people there that are competent, you know, older people, that can follow directions, listen to others and stay off their phones.

You will be tapped for it!

Come load batteries in the M60, I am in need of help when it comes to up, down, in, out things like tanks, you are sorta retired!

BLK HMMWV

We have chatted about that too. There needs to be a coordinated effort to get 5 people there that are competent, you know, older people, that can follow directions, listen to others and stay off their phones.

You will be tapped for it!

Come load batteries in the M60, I am in need of help when it comes to up, down, in, out things like tanks, you are sorta retired!
Sorta ??
I'm about as retired as you!!.
Just give me a shout.
I'll be there.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The museum should consider “destination wrenching” events where people like me could spend 3-4 days out there working on stuff.
I'm up for that! Let me see if I can persuade "Fearless Leader" into that! That would involve coordination....I think I still have those skills.

Ohh, maybe a BBQ food fest!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That would be too far of a climb and step down. I'll crash in a tent!
How much fun would it be to sneak up, attach the slings, raise the box and swing right!? Then you might actually have some real excitement when the door was opened. Gotta be good. Lower the box to within a couple feet of the ground so nobody was seriously injured...

BLK HMMWV

How much fun would it be to sneak up, attach the slings, raise the box and swing right!? Then you might actually have some real excitement when the door was opened. Gotta be good. Lower the box to within a couple feet of the ground so nobody was seriously injured...

Hey He doesn't need any ideas like that. He's already got a twisted sense of humor.

Guyfang

Staff member
Something like this happened to us in the field one day. We were in the woods outside of K-Town, and had the CG, the Brigade Commander, Battalion Commander and a million strap hangers watching us take up position. Someone put the porta potty's on pallets and dropped them too close to the mess hall. The first shirt told one of my guys to get the 4K fork lift, and move them. "NOW!! "So off he went, at speed. Dropped the forks, stuck the pallet and lifted it up. Shifted into reverse, and speed off. All the sudden the door to the porta potty flew open, and out jumped a female soldier. M16 in one hand, and grasping for her pants down around her ankles with the other hand! I needed the support of a large tree to keep me on my feet. So did everyone within 40 yards. Well, one guy didn't. My CO. He had the look on his face that said, "I am now in need of a new job". Tears were running down the CG's face. The Chief of Maintenance for 32nd AADCOM, (a division sized unit) looked at me and said, "611th Ord Company, strikes again."

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks