• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The next Project an ASMH

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fuel filter can is brass! .. The gasket for the can is paper.

View attachment 906335
yep they sure are .. and the filter screens are easy to flush , although time-consuming .. on my R6602's i removed the original fuel line from fuel pump to carb (only to preserve future replacement originality) and made a steel line that incorporates a fat 3/8" in-line NAPA see-thru throw-away to catch anything that makes it past the OEM filter can.. And yes, finer particles and rust "mud" certainly does make its way past the can., you can come look at a couple of the NAPA filters rolling around behind the seat of the M51 :rolleyes:

You have also discovered the fuel pump has a priming lever .. On my engines i have a piece of heavy fencing wire hooked to the pump with one end fashioned into a d-shaped handle .. Makes it much easier to prime the system from under the fender without cranking it over or having to get far underneath fender to reach way in beyond the frame to get at the pump ..

As you probably already have done at some point in your life, a sheet of paper-type gasket material works wonders on this old stuff where OEM gaskets are NLA

A different subject from your current progress: You will be depending on the R6602-powered wrecker at the worst possible moments so keep in mind there is a pesky ignition resistor under the distributor cap.. You should always have a couple spares in the glove box.. Murphy says if you have spares, you will never need them;)

Last edited:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone ever taken the bowls and metering plates off of a Holley? You know how much of a PITA the gaskets are to remove? The gaskets for the pumping valves were that way. I had to soak the body in Blaster parts cleaner for an hour to loosen them up, use a pick to start getting them off, a stainless bore brush and finally an exacto to get the material off of the metal.
I just want to add here for the sake of those lucky enough to get their carb or pump apart for cleaning and have gaskets that survived the process and look good.. Long ago i learned the hard way to NOT wait a week or a month to put them back together .. The used gaskets shrink as they dry out :rolleyes:

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just want to add here for the sake of those lucky enough to get their carb or pump apart for cleaning and have gaskets that survived the process and look good.. Long ago i learned the hard way to NOT wait a week or a month to put them back together .. The used gaskets shrink as they dry out :rolleyes:
Boiling water is your friend in that case. Put the gaskets in a deep pan, boil some water, pour it over the gaskets and let them sit. In a short time they will be back to their original size and pliable again.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another update. FP installed....no room for a socket, so hand jive an open end wrench, CHECK. Fuel filter can installed. CHECK. @BLK HMMWV was there to give me a hand today. He looked at the filter and can and says, "hey, this thing is cracked!" I say, BS, it rings like a bell. Well, when priming the system, there was indeed a leak at the area he said had a crack! Bummer! There MIGHT be another can somewhere in the 7 acres of accumulation. Batteries installed, CHECK. Powered it up, cranked a very short time and we had ignition!. Used a heat gun and 2 and 4 cyls were cold. Shut it down, pulled 4, carboned heavily. We have an assortment of military plugs, Autolite 2245, we have plenty! Put another plug in 4, the socket I had with me wouldn't get 2 out, but the wire was loose. Re install things, give it a crank, 2 and 4 started making heat! The crankcase had gas in it from the FP, so we shut it down, it had made 60 PSI OP, built air, ran better, but still rough, the belts are shredding, but it needed to get to the shop so I can work on it next to my tools. Cleared the things away from the area, re fired it and away we went! Steering is easy but the turning radius sucks. NO brakes, he pedal is stuck. T-case shifts. Trans goes into gear, no stuck clutch. Winch PTO works....thought the lever was for T-case high/low, but was for front winch PTO!

Got it pulled out of it's resting spot, DROVE it the 150 yards to the shop and parked it. Decided to give it a pressure washing before it was pulled into the shop. Uncovered a single LARGE wasp nest I missed last week. They don't stand a chance against a pressure washer! Messed with the out riggers and after the following picture found that the rectangle part of the gear slides out of the body to further extend the rigging. Had to used a forklift to pull it out.

Also found a tag that the truck was ovh in 1968! So, truck, 1957, ovh in 1968. Engine ovh in 1977. Corrosion proofed in 1984?. The outrigger pads WERE black/yellow striped. Under the faded green? paint is nice shiny SG OD green. The Nat'l symbol is on the doors and hood, covered by faded paint. Attached you will see after pressure washing on the drivers door.

Plans for this, A Zenith carb, on it's way, thank you @Evil Dr. Porkchop! Kit for that on it's way from Treadwell Carburetors in NY, brakes, all hydraulic lines for the crane, re spool the upper for now, all fluids, yes, the FP did put gas in the crankcase, and a good cleaning. I am sure there is more, but it's late and I am tired!

wrecker.jpgwrecker1.jpgwrecker2.jpgwrecker3.jpgwrecker4.jpg

BLK HMMWV

Another update. FP installed....no room for a socket, so hand jive an open end wrench, CHECK. Fuel filter can installed. CHECK. @BLK HMMWV was there to give me a hand today. He looked at the filter and can and says, "hey, this thing is cracked!" I say, BS, it rings like a bell. Well, when priming the system, there was indeed a leak at the area he said had a crack! Bummer! There MIGHT be another can somewhere in the 7 acres of accumulation. Batteries installed, CHECK. Powered it up, cranked a very short time and we had ignition!. Used a heat gun and 2 and 4 cyls were cold. Shut it down, pulled 4, carboned heavily. We have an assortment of military plugs, Autolite 2245, we have plenty! Put another plug in 4, the socket I had with me wouldn't get 2 out, but the wire was loose. Re install things, give it a crank, 2 and 4 started making heat! The crankcase had gas in it from the FP, so we shut it down, it had made 60 PSI OP, built air, ran better, but still rough, the belts are shredding, but it needed to get to the shop so I can work on it next to my tools. Cleared the things away from the area, re fired it and away we went! Steering is easy but the turning radius sucks. NO brakes, he pedal is stuck. T-case shifts. Trans goes into gear, no stuck clutch. Winch PTO works....thought the lever was for T-case high/low, but was for front winch PTO!

Got it pulled out of it's resting spot, DROVE it the 150 yards to the shop and parked it. Decided to give it a pressure washing before it was pulled into the shop. Uncovered a single LARGE wasp nest I missed last week. They don't stand a chance against a pressure washer! Messed with the out riggers and after the following picture found that the rectangle part of the gear slides out of the body to further extend the rigging. Had to used a forklift to pull it out.

Also found a tag that the truck was ovh in 1968! So, truck, 1957, ovh in 1968. Engine ovh in 1977. Corrosion proofed in 1984?. The outrigger pads WERE black/yellow striped. Under the faded green? paint is nice shiny SG OD green. The Nat'l symbol is on the doors and hood, covered by faded paint. Attached you will see after pressure washing on the drivers door.

Plans for this, A Zenith carb, on it's way, thank you @Evil Dr. Porkchop! Kit for that on it's way from Treadwell Carburetors in NY, brakes, all hydraulic lines for the crane, re spool the upper for now, all fluids, yes, the FP did put gas in the crankcase, and a good cleaning. I am sure there is more, but it's late and I am tired!

View attachment 906402View attachment 906403View attachment 906404View attachment 906405View attachment 906406
I know a crack when I see one.
I know a crack pot when I see one too!!
I'm glad you drove it to the shop.
I was on the phone but I was following directions.
Film this you said!!!!
You got yourself a project that's for sure.

Last edited:

BLK HMMWV

Hey WWI.
You need me for anything this week?
I got Wednesday available.
Next week I'm off to the desert to work on a gig for a confused electrical band from my youth, as well as a few other bands.
Power Trip Baby!!!!
To bad you retired from playing
Boom Boom with me.
I will miss you.
BH

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey WWI.
You need me for anything this week?
I got Wednesday available.
Next week I'm off to the desert to work on a gig for a confused electrical band from my youth, as well as a few other bands.
Power Trip Baby!!!!
To bad you retired from playing
Boom Boom with me.
I will miss you.
BH
I think I am good for now. Carb should be here today, got the lathe tools I was waiting for, so lots of stuff to be done.

I do miss Boom Boom, the smell, the noise, the feeling when everything done leaves it's spot, but late night and I don't get along. Takes a day or so to feel....normal, whatever that is.

Be safe. Remember to follow directions and stay off the phone!

BLK HMMWV

I think I am good for now. Carb should be here today, got the lathe tools I was waiting for, so lots of stuff to be done.

I do miss Boom Boom, the smell, the noise, the feeling when everything done leaves it's spot, but late night and I don't get along. Takes a day or so to feel....normal, whatever that is.

Ok Pops. I'll try.
Let me know when you need a hand with something.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The crankcase had gas in it from the FP, so we shut it down
good thing there wasn't much gas in the pan or heavy with fumes.. A pal of mine was an armored tracked vehicle mechanic and he sometimes borrowed one of the M62's from BN Maint .. One of them eventually developed a fuel issue so the shop had installed a shutoff valve ahead of the fuel pump ... My pal forgot to shut the valve off to idle it out of gas after parking it in one of the OMS bays one winter evening... Next morning when he cranked the truck over --- BOOOOOOOOM !!!!!

It blew the oil pan clean off .. Luckily nobody else had gone out to the shop bays yet, but everyone's ears rang for some time .. They helped my pal out of the cab, disoriented with a mild concussion.. He got permanent ear damage and the VA hearing aids don't do much good :rolleyes:

Last edited:

BLK HMMWV

good thing there wasn't much gas in the pan or heavy with fumes.. A pal of mine was an armored tracked vehicle mechanic and he sometimes borrowed one of the M62's from BN Maint .. One of them eventually developed a fuel issue so the shop had installed a shutoff valve ahead of the fuel pump ... My pal forgot to shut the valve off to idle it out of gas after parking it in one of the OMS bays one winter evening... Next morning when he cranked the truck over --- BOOOOOOOOM !!!!!

It blew the oil pan clean off .. Luckily nobody else had gone out to the shop bays yet, but everyone's ears rang for some time .. They helped my pal out of the cab, disoriented with a mild concussion.. He got permanent ear damage and the VA hearing aids don't do much good :rolleyes:
That would get his attention.
Now that it's over in the shop . I'm sure he's going to give it an oil change and filter.
Might switch to a screw on fuel filter since the original brass filter housing is cracked.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Starting brakes. The pedal was stuck, so, went under it, took the pin out of the MC rod/pedal and the pedal was free. Took the MC out. It looked OK, a slight bump on the piston and it freed up. Clear...sorta...fluid came out of the end. Tore it apart. The first thing that I saw was, judging by the few, yeah right, MC's I have done, was that it was missing a spacer washer between the clip and piston, BUT, I have not delved into the 5T world. I kept going, pulled it down. The bore looked great, nice and shiny, cross hatch, came apart good, but, when cleaned, a slight rust spot at the bottom where the pain and secondary piston sit. Went to the parts rail car and found a green tagged housing. Gave it a hone, junk, looks like it has chicken pocks! Decided to use the removed housing. The thing that bugged me was there was no rubber washer or check valve at the outlet of the bore.

I cleaned parts, honed the cylinder and all looked good, but, the absence of the spacer at the piston/rod end and check valve/seal bugged me. I decided to install the piston and look at the position of it at the fluid ports in the MC. When installed where it was with the pedal at rest, the main hole was open by more than 1/2 of the end of the piston with no cup installed. I know that isn't right. Went back to the parts car and found a second, complete MC. Pulled it down, there was a spacer washer AND, a check valve and seal at the outlet.

I looked on line and found conflicting info. Eric's has rebuild kits that have NO check valve and Memphis rebuild kits have the check valve and seal. Might be my bad, but we do not have a -30&P for this and I have yet to look through the TMs here. Which is it, with or w/o check valve? IF it were just a vacuum assisted system, I get that the check could be in the hydroboost, but, as far as I can surmise, this has an air pack.

I do need to just take some time and see if there is the -30&P here for this.

Good things were delivered. The Zenith from @Evil Dr. Porkchop and the carb kit from Treadwell Carburetors. It does look like the carb is indeed new, no evidence of fuel ever being in it but I will feed it from a pony tank on the bench to see if the gaskets are hard and leaking.

The innards of the two MCs,

Original.jpgCore.jpg

BLK HMMWV

Starting brakes. The pedal was stuck, so, went under it, took the pin out of the MC rod/pedal and the pedal was free. Took the MC out. It looked OK, a slight bump on the piston and it freed up. Clear...sorta...fluid came out of the end. Tore it apart. The first thing that I saw was, judging by the few, yeah right, MC's I have done, was that it was missing a spacer washer between the clip and piston, BUT, I have not delved into the 5T world. I kept going, pulled it down. The bore looked great, nice and shiny, cross hatch, came apart good, but, when cleaned, a slight rust spot at the bottom where the pain and secondary piston sit. Went to the parts rail car and found a green tagged housing. Gave it a hone, junk, looks like it has chicken pocks! Decided to use the removed housing. The thing that bugged me was there was no rubber washer or check valve at the outlet of the bore.

I cleaned parts, honed the cylinder and all looked good, but, the absence of the spacer at the piston/rod end and check valve/seal bugged me. I decided to install the piston and look at the position of it at the fluid ports in the MC. When installed where it was with the pedal at rest, the main hole was open by more than 1/2 of the end of the piston with no cup installed. I know that isn't right. Went back to the parts car and found a second, complete MC. Pulled it down, there was a spacer washer AND, a check valve and seal at the outlet.

I looked on line and found conflicting info. Eric's has rebuild kits that have NO check valve and Memphis rebuild kits have the check valve and seal. Might be my bad, but we do not have a -30&P for this and I have yet to look through the TMs here. Which is it, with or w/o check valve? IF it were just a vacuum assisted system, I get that the check could be in the hydroboost, but, as far as I can surmise, this has an air pack.

I do need to just take some time and see if there is the -30&P here for this.

Good things were delivered. The Zenith from @Evil Dr. Porkchop and the carb kit from Treadwell Carburetors. It does look like the carb is indeed new, no evidence of fuel ever being in it but I will feed it from a pony tank on the bench to see if the gaskets are hard and leaking.

The innards of the two MCs,

View attachment 906864View attachment 906865
It must be in your blood.
Craig is lucky to have you.
I'm going to have to rename you.
MV whisperer.
Baby steps, that thing is going to get expensive when you get into the hydraulics.
Pot Stirrer

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It must be in your blood.
Craig is lucky to have you.
I'm going to have to rename you.
MV whisperer.
Baby steps, that thing is going to get expensive when you get into the hydraulics.
Pot Stirrer
Yup, we chatted about that briefly today. Me thinks it will be much more than he thinks.....

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And, for me at least, it is all nuts and bolts. There are specific procedures to follow, those are easy to decipher or find, common sense.... But someone gave me a skill and I am thankful.

I do find myself wanting to stop using my skills, occasionally, but I need something to do and something to keep me occupied.

BLK HMMWV

And, for me at least, it is all nuts and bolts. There are specific procedures to follow, those are easy to decipher or find, common sense.... But someone gave me a skill and I am thankful.

I do find myself wanting to stop using my skills, occasionally, but I need something to do and something to keep me occupied.
That's what keeps me playing with the boom 💥.
Some call it a sickness.
But I think it's our passions.
Some will never understand.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks