• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The next Project an ASMH

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Lord, please take me away in my sleep before i ever have to do this with my M62 , for surely the task will kill me with much suffering, bloody knuckles, bumps, bruises, pulled muscles, popped joints, and cussing the likes of which will not allow me thru the gates. o_O
To be honest, the hardest part(s) of this has been the unknown. The TM spells it out, has images, but they are TM images from the late 50's, not so clear and the instructions aren't either. And the way the not so smart people before me worked on it. I do not think whoever it was was a mechanically inclined person. Things were stupid tight and just all jacked up. And the way it was assembled is just as it was in the 70's so it is nothing like I am used to working with. It is like taking a trip in a time machine back 50 years. And the fact that the -16 hoses were old, hard and pipe threaded into the component with some sort of sealant that was extremely difficult to get un sealed, coupled with over tightening.

The fitting deal is just progress. The Ermetto stuff was from the 50's. It is NLA. It just made more sense to convert to a modern product for ease of maintenance. Wasn't cheap, but since we plan to have this as a worker bee, it will be safe and reliable.

Next hurdle is gong to be getting the hoses back down the center and getting the routed properly.

Still want to do some sort of filter pre pump. Still needs to be re spooled with new wire rope on the crane and need to get with Justin at Red River to see if they have the rear winch cable end. Maybe i'll call them today.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
To be honest, the hardest part(s) of this has been the unknown. The TM spells it out, has images, but they are TM images from the late 50's, not so clear and the instructions aren't either. And the way the not so smart people before me worked on it. I do not think whoever it was was a mechanically inclined person. Things were stupid tight and just all jacked up. And the way it was assembled is just as it was in the 70's so it is nothing like I am used to working with. It is like taking a trip in a time machine back 50 years. And the fact that the -16 hoses were old, hard and pipe threaded into the component with some sort of sealant that was extremely difficult to get un sealed, coupled with over tightening.

The fitting deal is just progress. The Ermetto stuff was from the 50's. It is NLA. It just made more sense to convert to a modern product for ease of maintenance. Wasn't cheap, but since we plan to have this as a worker bee, it will be safe and reliable.

Next hurdle is gong to be getting the hoses back down the center and getting the routed properly.

Still want to do some sort of filter pre pump. Still needs to be re spooled with new wire rope on the crane and need to get with Justin at Red River to see if they have the rear winch cable end. Maybe i'll call them today.
I don't know if you have any "bell wire" (Ma Bell, the 2 inch stuff that carries traffic to the neighborhood) but It will make life a lot easier if you wrap a piece onto each end of the new hoses. You know... The color coded stuff like you use on Cat5 cable would work too. Blue / Spot Blue and so on. That way you plug the hose into the right connector...

BLK HMMWV

I don't know if you have any "bell wire" (Ma Bell, the 2 inch stuff that carries traffic to the neighborhood) but It will make life a lot easier if you wrap a piece onto each end of the new hoses. You know... The color coded stuff like you use on Cat5 cable would work too. Blue / Spot Blue and so on. That way you plug the hose into the right connector...

He painted #s on all the fittings as well as used a punch to put dimples on the fittings in case the paint comes off, kind of like reading braille.
I think it has something to do with his early childhood.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
He painted #s on all the fittings as well as used a punch to put dimples on the fittings in case the paint comes off, kind of like reading braille.
I think it has something to do with his early childhood.
Good deal... Just thinking about how much fun it is when a hose goes through a hole - then your try to pull on that hose - to figure out which one is which.

EXCELLENT that he thought it out ahead of time!

Last edited:

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, it was, and still is, messy under it. I used zip ties to mark the location, none thru 3 on both the lines and on the blocks where they go. For installation, I just prick punched 0 thru 3 dots on the fitting. Should go back fine, just getting them down the hole might be a bit of an adventure.

As for the German, yeah, my Great Grandfather, Grandmother were Emigrants from Germany so what % does that make me? I do want to learn German. I think BLK HMMWV and I should learn it so we can talk about things and our friends won't have a clue....or talk about them!

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im down with it. We're both German.
Wagner and Warner
You already seem to have a good grasp of all the 4 and 5 letter German cuss words.
Hey you do know that all our friends are German right.
It's just none of us speak it.
I know. Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants to be having a convo and all of a sudden switch to German! We could really mess with them! Imagine, we say something, stop, look at them and just start bustin' up! :ROFLMAO: Then walk away.

Guyfang

Staff member
I know. Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants to be having a convo and all of a sudden switch to German! We could really mess with them! Imagine, we say something, stop, look at them and just start bustin' up! :ROFLMAO: Then walk away.

Daily occurrence in my house. Anyone who knows us understands. But many folks look at us in wonder. Like on the train.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To be honest, the hardest part(s) of this has been the unknown. The TM spells it out, has images, but they are TM images from the late 50's, not so clear and the instructions aren't either.
that is so true, the stress alone keeps one up all night .. I went thru a week-long learning curve to discover the ermeto's on the M62's were a one-shot OEM deal just for the A/W boom and been NLA a long time.. It took awhile of the "unknown" to find a hydraulics outfit that even remotely knew there was an adapter for that size and could get them .. Some of my old dozers as well as one excavator has ermeto fitts, but they are of a common size easy to get , thus I was blindsided, punched silly in the head, and stonewalled that I couldn't just walk into a shop and grab fittings for the M62

As for my previous comment about labor-intensive work, i have spinal issues top to bottom from being too tuff and stubborn all these years.. You would think having the eventual missing or unrepairable body parts would stop me, but no.. Thus tugging at something with 100# or more force can put me whacked against something hard .. Ask me how losing grip sensation and resultant trip & fall from a M62 deck flat onto one side feels on hard-packed earth... When you trip over backwards on that damned bed lip there's no landing on your feet unless you're a gymnast or cat and I sure ain't either of those .. I can tell you it was a whole lotta fun on top of a shoulder reconstruction.. :p

I am very thankful to the donors of my used replacement parts over the years to fix what could be fixed.. I'm okay with baler twine , turnbuckles, and cadaver parts, but not okay about accepting the fact advanced-age wrenching (and wenching) has consequences :D

Top that with 3 apparently-unrepairable hernias (the fixes on all 3 places won't hold up), and apparent brain damage because I had already had my fill of these trucks by the time I got my 3rd military discharge ,, But then, I just HAD to go buy an M51 gasser to "re-live" those days.. o_O Totally nuts, yep.. That was before I joined SS and saw someone's warning label on here. "Be careful, they grow !" .. That warning came a few years too late ! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

BLK HMMWV

Well that was fun.!!! NOT!!!
I think that suckers ready for a JDAM.
It seemed un-phased by all the G-- DAM's we were dropping on it.
You willingly chose to be a wrench turner?
You need to retire. Oh wait, you did.
Ok you need an intervention, yeah that's it.
Maybe a long with the German language classes we can take 🥨 making classes, and advanced Yoga.
I'm going back to playing with the Boom Booms and back into the witness protection program.
Don't try and call me it won't do any good.
Seriously that sucked but it's mostly done. Aren't you glad you didn't quit.
See you Saturday.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well that was fun.!!! NOT!!!
I think that suckers ready for a JDAM.
It seemed un-phased by all the G-- DAM's we were dropping on it.
You willingly chose to be a wrench turner?
You need to retire. Oh wait, you did.
Ok you need an intervention, yeah that's it.
Maybe a long with the German language classes we can take 🥨 making classes, and advanced Yoga.
I'm going back to playing with the Boom Booms and back into the witness protection program.
Don't try and call me it won't do any good.
Seriously that sucked but it's mostly done. Aren't you glad you didn't quit.
See you Saturday.
That was most def NOT fun.
Worse going in than coming out, on the bottom any way. Top went easy peasy.
I think I remember MFRS somewhere in there too.
Yes, glad I wasn't a quitter, you are a good threat....er, motivator!
Yup, willingly chose to bend wrenches, glad none bent with the impacts they incurred today.
Thank God you stayed off your phone, nuttin' woulda got done.
Ready to re-retire.
I still have a Yamaha TTR50 to fix as well as a 427, don't intervene yet.
I have some Aldi pretzels and beer if you want some, wait, I misplaced your number so never mind. Still gonna do the German thing.
I need to make time for the Boom Booms, I was SUPPOSED to call R&J and go out last weekend, but I forgot, She's gonna be upset with me.
The last 9 lined will be a walk in the park. Only other possibly sucky thing will be the filter that should be installed.
I am wiped out.
Donut for Saturday?
Poo.

BLK HMMWV

That was most def NOT fun.
Worse going in than coming out, on the bottom any way. Top went easy peasy.
I think I remember MFRS somewhere in there too.
Yes, glad I wasn't a quitter, you are a good threat....er, motivator!
Yup, willingly chose to bend wrenches, glad none bent with the impacts they incurred today.
Thank God you stayed off your phone, nuttin' woulda got done.
Ready to re-retire.
I still have a Yamaha TTR50 to fix as well as a 427, don't intervene yet.
I have some Aldi pretzels and beer if you want some, wait, I misplaced your number so never mind. Still gonna do the German thing.
I need to make time for the Boom Booms, I was SUPPOSED to call R&J and go out last weekend, but I forgot, She's gonna be upset with me.
The last 9 lined will be a walk in the park. Only other possibly sucky thing will be the filter that should be installed.
I am wiped out.
Donut for Saturday?
Poo.
I like donuts but also those apple empanadas were pretty tasty.
I was thinking of a different Boom Boom 💥.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, so here are some images of what happened. First off, again, a giant shout out to @BLK HMMWV . I could have not got things done without the help of him, his smaller than mine stature and perseverance. He is truly a motivated motivator. This hasn't been the first go round of him gently prodding me to just do what needs to be done and get it done and over with. I hope I have helped him out of tight spots as he helped me on this project.

Last week we got the swivel out, lines off, things cleaned up and new lines on. We capped the lines to prevent crud intrusion. Yesterday, this thing about kilt us both. We got the "new octopus" rigged up and got it into position. We tied some ropes to the lines so that they could be guided down the center into the correct cavities in the base of the capstan. Not an easy task even with lines that were MUCH more flexible. We also had to re-rig the spool so it could pivot. The upstairs was my job, Craig handled the forklift operation and BLK HUMMWV opted to go under the beast and guide things down. I don't think he planned to be where he was for the time he was there.

After a bit of wrestling, wiggling and prodding, the assembly went into the center of the capstan, a bit too far, so it needed to be pulled up to install the lock tabs and nuts....which reminds me, those nuts are not tight. I NEED to remember this!

Once the assembly was in place, I rolled under it to join my friend. It was nearly impossible to get the 2, -16 lines for the rotator cylinders onto the fittings they needed to be attached to. We ended up removing 2, 1/2 inch bolts that held a block for the supply/return to the bottom of the bed. After that, things went a bit more smoothly. These 2 lines took the two of us close to an hour to get attached, just those two lines! Not fun, covered in nasty, old OE10, grease, spider webs, no room under it, lights dying, etc. I will admit that I got VERY frustrated. Thankfully, someone was there to calm me down. Plus he said he wasn't gonna come back so we best get things done NOW!

After a bit of time, we got all of the swing and return lines connected, sealed and tightened. That was a work out!

I decided to leave the individual lines for the swing for today.

This morning, I started the assembly of all the lines in the operators area. I came across some issues with a couple of return lines. The return from the crane drum motor was apx 10 inched too short and the return from the valve body to the swivel was OK in length, but the length of the crimps didn't allow the line to bend/flex as it should to reach the fittings it needed to go to. A quick call to PirTek and a quick drive had that remedied. Got all of the lines from the valves to the swivel and the return lines installed, secured and ready to rock.

On to the swing cylinder lines. Oh He ll no! Those things are SO tight! It takes a 7/8 wrench on the fitting that is threaded into the block that we had a tough time getting the -16 lines onto. I put a 24 inch long wrench onto the 7/8 wrench to try and break those lines loose. Seems the same jack azz that installed every other line on this, installed these. I was doing a pull up on the wrench! No room for a hammer. Just decided to leave those. They have been covered and don't look too bad. IF something happens, I'll just cut the lines at the hex and impact them out.

We want to install some sort of filter on the suction side. I took the cover off of the tank. There is a tapered fitting that sticks up 3 inches or so off the bottom of the tank. It almost looks like thee could have been some sort of filter pushed onto that taper. I can find nothing in the books on the tank. Anyone have a clue if the is a filter that should be there?

The last picture is of the four lines that I couldn't get loose.

I am tired!

new octo.jpgnew octo 1.jpgocto in.jpgnew.jpgin place.jpgnew 1.jpgnew 2.jpgstuck.jpg

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AND, a bit of a surprise!

I was looking through the truck, in the glove box, looked there half a doozen times.

Well, we were missing the clutch linkage for the rear winch air clutch at the trans...the pieces parts that dis engage/engage the clutch at the bellhousing, located on the drivers side of the trans.

Lookey what I found!

No notes as to WHY it was removed, don't know if it was removed at the Museum or at the NG after they wound the winches up banjo string tight.

Either way, it is now in hand, I don't need to make something!

Still need a clevis for 3/4 wire rope, Red River didn't have one.

missing link.jpg

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...I don't think he planned to be where he was for the time he was there... After a bit of wrestling, wiggling and prodding, the assembly went into the center of the capstan, a bit too far, so it needed to be pulled up to install the lock tabs and nuts....which reminds me, those nuts are not tight. I NEED to remember this! ... Once the assembly was in place, I rolled under it to join my friend. I will admit that I got VERY frustrated. Thankfully, someone was there to calm me down. Plus he said he wasn't gonna come back..
Guyfang, it sure sounds like a marriage thing just like you had jested ! :LOL:

Guyfang

Staff member
But you know, its GOOD! After I got out of the Army, I became an electrician here in Germany. The last 10 years of so I worked at a PV company, building Photoelectric on every dog house, barn, house, factory and building in Bavaria. And the the solar parks. Half the size of Texas. The boss wanted someone older to help his young guys develop their skills doing installations inside buildings. There is a big difference between a pig farm and a state of the art factory or company. So he teamed me up with a brand new young man. We hit it off like long lost brothers. When I needed a tool, I did not need to say a word. He just KNEW it and handed it to me. It worked the same way in reverse. He just had to THINK about something and I KNEW it. And for a young guy, he had patience. Way beyond his years. We complemented each other like we were twins. When you have that verbindung, connection, with someone, its not work anymore. Its fun. I sure miss it. I envy you two.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks