• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The RIGHT way to install a Solargizer...

PaulbusMax

That spot on the hood is a nice location for the solar panel. I think Aboonski first showed me his in that spot about 2 years ago. I've done the same install on at least three CUCVs.

BUT....to do it RIGHT ( by my interpretation ) you should have:

1. drilled holes
2. removed burrs
3. painted holes
4. used rubber grommets in holes for bolts not silicone

As a friendly note, claiming your install is the "RIGHT" way leaves you open to criticism. Just share your projects with us, but don't claim your way is the RIGHT way. Looks good though. Your batteries will thank you.
Maybe because it's on the "Right" side of the hood?? hehehe

ONTOS66

Nice installation, looks good. I'm about to add the solargizer to my M1009 and M1028 thanks for the photos.

I guess if I park them in the garage I'll have to keep the light on for it to work? :idea:rofl

seabee mike

I just checked mine. The light does not work. I checked the solar panel and it works. so i guess the box is fried. I can keep the solar panel and maybe add it to the replacement. an you have 2 panels to 1 unit?

tgtaylor64

Can the unit be connected to the + and - buss bars in the back of the truck? I am planning on mounting the solar panel on the top of my M1009. Makes the install easier and does not subject the control box to the under hood conditions.

combat jump

SeaBee Mike, if you connect two panels together, you must connect them in parallel (plus to plus, minus to minus) which keeps them outputing the same votage, but doubles the current. If you connected the panels in series, plus to minus and plus to minus, that doubles the voltage, while keeping the same current. The electronics module is expecting 24 volts and NOT 48 volts.

Tgtaylor64 - The buss bar is a direct connection to the battery, so I would try it, but if you have radios, check for noise on them. The electronics module pulses high voltage to the batteries. If you run radios, check for interference before making it a permanent setup.

lavarok

The instructions tell you not to shorten the wires from the black box to the battery.

To do it "RIGHT", the black box should be connected to the (+) of the rear battery and the (-) of the front. Anything else deviates from the instructions and alters the distance between the black box and the 24v battery bank.

If you want the unit to work properly, install ring terms to the battery posts directly and not to any bus bars. The unit needs to get a strong "pulse" into the battery bank. Altering the wire length or wiring to a bus bar will diminish the strength of said "pulse".

2cents

chief1983

He might be right though, I think. Might try a test and see how well it works from the back bus bar. I'm hoping my battery bugs will tell me how good a job mine are doing.

Anyhoo, how do these hold up in the rain and snow mounted externally? I figured they'd be better off on the dash, even if they only got sunlight for less of the day, it'd still be better than nothing and they'd be better protected from the elements.

Also, they are only $37 on eBay right now, $8 shipping or $13 for two (I got a pair).

Last edited:

combat jump

Seabee Mike,

I wouldn't connect two panels to the electronics module. Even in parallel, where the voltage is the same 24 volts, the current would be twice what the electronics module is designed for.

lavarok

hey thanks for your 4 cents if you keep giving away money we will be rich thanks for YOUR opinion again :|
Your having a hard time distinguishing opinion from sage wisdom.

You guys (and girls out there) can do what you want and listen to whomever you want.

If you want the solargizer to work properly and function as intended, you will install the terminals from the black box as I suggested. Don't believe me ... call Pulsetech if you want. 1-800-580-7554.

To the guy wanting to mount the solar panel on the rear of the M1009, go for it. Just run the wire for the black box under the truck, in the same loom as the rear bus bar wires if you want, and install the black box under the hood. Connect the solargizer to batteries, not bus bars.

Smokinyoda

I just checked mine. The light does not work. I checked the solar panel and it works. so i guess the box is fried. I can keep the solar panel and maybe add it to the replacement. an you have 2 panels to 1 unit?
Hey Mike I have the same problem with the light not working on one of mine. But in full sun I get the same reading with a meter as my other unit that has a working light. Maybe bulb burnt or something???

Put a meter on it see if you get voltage, if you do I say use it.

seabee mike

Hey Mike I have the same problem with the light not working on one of mine. But in full sun I get the same reading with a meter as my other unit that has a working light. Maybe bulb burnt or something???

Put a meter on it see if you get voltage, if you do I say use it.
I bought 2 new for 25 each. but I better check the old one. Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks