• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Thrill of Dissapointment II

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For some reason, my first post is not accessible by anyone. Anyway, here goes. Today I was outside messing around with the wrecker. I took out an extra mechanical oil pressure gauge to double check oil pressure or lack thereof. Installed the gauge and cranked the engine (no plugs/compression). Nothing! Pulled the gauge and cranked it with just the open nylon line, nothing! So it's solidified, I'm repowering the wrecker. Got to really looking at it and it's not going to be very tough at all. Probably get it done in 2 or 3 days honestly. So while I was our there I dug out the DA and started hitting the black spots on the door. Found Suwanee School District on the door which I expected. Tried the hood and to my suprise, went through the probably 25 yr old yellow to primer to steel. The truck had apparently been stripped before. Cool! So many little cool things on this truck that it's getting more fun every day. For instance it has quick disconnect mud flaps on the back. For now the plan is to repower and get basic electical functions working. Starting, charging and a cooling system. I'll hack together the rest of the stuff for now in anticipation of the cab and wiring change. Love old wreckers!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, sent you a separate msg on this, but move the pto and pump to your M275, get some long hydraulic hoses and run the crane with the tractor parked next to it. You can then lift the engine out of the wrecker.

Bjorn

mangus580

Wow... thats a great idea Bjorn!! I may have thought of it... but I would have had to be in Kenny's shoes to have done so....

Kenny, he is on to something here... :) get some quick connects from an ag tractor, and you are set.... :)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure the stops can be pulled (Kenny thinks it can be done), they are there for safety concerns, smashing the cab, stretching hydraulic lines, etc.
Below is an image from about ten years ago when I moved the crane from my International Loadstar. The crane was parked by itself, but started to settle and could have fallen over. With the pump, tank and the deuce on the side, I was able to right the crane. Note the hydraulic extension lines.

Bjorn

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hydraulics are fed though the rotation cylinder. Its no problem to rotate the crane 360 degrees. The stops are there to protect the cab. If I've read correctly it can sit and spin like this. Its not going to be as easy as it seems though. This thing has huge lines like inch and a half. The tank is part of the tool box and the pump is quite difficult to move to the short tractor without taking most of the deck apart. I know those giant hoses cost out the wazoo. I'm thinking it would be more cost effective to rig another engine to drive the pimp in its current location. This too is all well and good but I'm burning more effort than I need to. With a simple phone call I can have a knuckle boom here in a few hours. My buddy in Ft Luaderdale (Bjorn's been to his place) has one behind the cab of one of his rollback wreckers. I'll probably use that instead. Once the truck is repowered, I'll use the crane to remove and replace the cab when that time gets here. In order to get this thing on the road, I need to sell the pipeline winch which I believe Chris' dad is buying, and I need to sell the semi trailer for more operating capital. I wan't it done today!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'm thinking it would be more cost effective to rig another engine to drive the pimp in its current location.

Pimp tight! :) :p :lol: 8)

FSBruva

Kenny-

I can't wait to see your fleet (albeit fleet of two) up and running!! Mini-convoys all over the place!!

Matt

P.S. The ship has some quick-connect hydraulic hoses that are 2 inches!!! Beasts to move when full of fluid, I'll bet.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yanno Matt, when I had 2 trucks before the only convoys I had was when friends visited or using the towbar. I love following my trucks around and running a convoy. The old M35A2 is only 3/4 mile up the street from me but its new owner doesn't get it out too often. I would love to get the whole semi and wrecker in the same convoy but thats not going to happen!

rdixiemiller

Kenny
Mount an electric motor to your wrecker pump. Anyone know what the PTO RPM is?
I'll be in Montgomery tomorrow picking up a deuce chassis after I get done at the Al. Forestry auction. I'll be moving "Ol Red" to Bruce's other house while I'm there.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know the RPM but the HP is a consideration. For me it's just easier to pick up the phone and have the knuckle boom delivered. Thanks for moving ol red. As soon as Steel Soldiers dad pays me for the pipeline winch, I'll pay off ol red then worry about getting er moved down here. BTW, I'll most likely come fetch red and I'll bring that M105 along. How many riveted wheels do you want Robert? I think all the wrecker wheels are rivet wheels.
Kenny

rdixiemiller

I could use as many as 6. That will give me enough to do a full set of singles. Heck, I'll take all I can get. They don't seem to be much in demand.
We might be able to work a deal on Red. I can drag it to my place, then drag it down to NW Fla. when i go to visit my folks. They are around I10 in Defuniak Springs.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That could work very well for me. Very very well. If memory serves me correct, I have 13 riveted wheels. giving up all of them will make me a little short on rolling stock but getting the wheels on the red baron will get me by. Do you have an extra welded wheel or two? Shouldn't need them but in case. I can load them into the M015. The only thing I'll need is the lunette shipped back. I'm getting excited!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks