• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The unofficial g749 picture thread

SturmTyger380

I saw these as slides on e pay awhile back and could not resist buying them.

They are from original slides taken in Korea during the 1950's

Now shared here for your enjoyment.

Korean War M211 -1.jpg Korean War M211 -3.jpg Korean War M211 -4.jpg Korean War M211 -5.jpg

This one is cool because it shows the original canvas cab top and the cargo top.

Korean War M211 -2.jpg

On the road

Korean War Road 1.jpg

I just found a old truck I use to own for sale on Craigslist. Hope somebody buys it and keeps it out of the scrap yard. I kept the plow, and sold it last year.

the guy is asking $2600. Pm me if anybody wants his contact info.

i have no irons in the fire on this truck, I just want someone who appreciates it to keep it out of scrap.

Attachments

Juskatla

Metal Magnet, your CDN deuce will have the CAR number stamped on the top of the drivers side frame rail between the bumper and grill. It should be Year and registration number XX-XXXX. Unfortunately, none of the records survived the disposal of these trucks unlike some that were added to the computer data base in later years. All my M37CDNs have this unique number. I don't where the frame serial number is on the deuces but they should match the data plate serial number unless something was swapped around. The CAR (Canadian Army Registration) number, later CFR (Canadian Forces Registration) bears no relationship to the serial number. The numbers were painted on the doors in white, 2" letters. In later years, the license plate had the last 5 numbers of the CAR and the doors numbers may or may not have been used. There were a lot of differences between militia and regular units and over the 30+ years they were in-service. There are other members who post here that will be more familiar with the specifics and may have differing information...

Jess

Last edited:

drlogistics

Took the 211 to a local car cruise tonight. I couldn't believe this guy parked next me. Glad to have summer back. Looking forward to putting some more miles on the old girl. I may even finally get some new paint on her. I also ran it through the local Memorial Day parade with about 15 VFW members in the back. I'll try to find and post some pics of that ASAP.photo.jpg

Another Ahab

Took the 211 to a local car cruise tonight. I couldn't believe this guy parked next me. Glad to have summer back. Looking forward to putting some more miles on the old girl. I may even finally get some new paint on her. I also ran it through the local Memorial Day parade with about 15 VFW members in the back. I'll try to find and post some pics of that ASAP.View attachment 562761
Your truck looks great.

And I'm OK with the guy next to you; a Chevelle, right? From back when Chevy still had it going on.

Did you chat him/her up? I'm supposing a sweet V-8 in there (his hood; not yours), that right?

Last edited:
Metal Magnet, your CDN deuce will have the CAR number stamped on the top of the drivers side frame rail between the bumper and grill. It should be Year and registration number XX-XXXX. Unfortunately, none of the records survived the disposal of these trucks unlike some that were added to the computer data base in later years. All my M37CDNs have this unique number. I don't where the frame serial number is on the deuces but they should match the data plate serial number unless something was swapped around. The CAR (Canadian Army Registration) number, later CFR (Canadian Forces Registration) bears no relationship to the serial number. The numbers were painted on the doors in white, 2" letters. In later years, the license plate had the last 5 numbers of the CAR and the doors numbers may or may not have been used. There were a lot of differences between militia and regular units and over the 30+ years they were in-service. There are other members who post here that will be more familiar with the specifics and may have differing information...

Jess
Thank you for the information, I have been away from the net for awhile, and just checked my other truck frame for where the numbers were located. No sign of any that I can readily notice. Serial numbers are located on R.H side of frame, and start off as 1135xxxxxxx. My 211 frame starts off as 1207xxxxxxxx (cab/chassis designation) but nothing on the top L.H. side.

Juskatla

Thank you for the information, I have been away from the net for awhile, and just checked my other truck frame for where the numbers were located. No sign of any that I can readily notice. Serial numbers are located on R.H side of frame, and start off as 1135xxxxxxx. My 211 frame starts off as 1207xxxxxxxx (cab/chassis designation) but nothing on the top L.H. side.

You could try asking one of the Canadian members here to confirm the location of the CAR/CFR number. Stan Leschert and M1010Plowboy may have seen these stampings on their trucks. I don't have serial number information on the old CDN deuces but somebody will. You could also post on the Maple Leaf Up Forum under the post war vehicles and see if anyone can give help out with correct markings. http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/ Some members on there are ex CF vehicle techs who are familiar with some of these types.

Section8

Hmmm. Interesting.
The only markings on my M135 are on the outside of the passenger side frame rail just behind the bumper, where the winch Would sit.
Even these are not even really legible. Looks as though some one had weak hammer swing a while stamping the numbers.
However I have never see numbers on a frame quite as large as these. They are probably 1 or 1.5 tall.

Juskatla

Hmmm. Interesting.
The only markings on my M135 are on the outside of the passenger side frame rail just behind the bumper, where the winch Would sit.
Even these are not even really legible. Looks as though some one had weak hammer swing a while stamping the numbers.
However I have never see numbers on a frame quite as large as these. They are probably 1 or 1.5 tall.
Not to take this thread too far off topic, the numbers I have seen on other Canadian SMP vehicles were stamped in 1/2" numbers, Year and number eg 56- 23456. It could be that larger stamps were used for your deuce. It would be interesting to confirm where these numbers are on the early CDN deuces. Data plate serial number should match the frame serial number but the CAR/CFR isn't shown on the data plate.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter

We'll get the thread back on track by putting up a picture of another truck with a 1207XXX stamped on the frame. The one on the right looks like an M220 but is actually an M207, possibly unique to Canada. Do you have data plates on that truck that say M211? CDN? The M207 ran the same dually set-up as the M211 so without a box on the back, it's hard to tell.

Your M211 must be an M207 which is just as cool. Welcome aboard and get on the net more often so you can show us some pictures.
Those trucks sound interesting!

g749 brakes 15 004.jpg

Frame numbers

Here are a few of the M135. I have 2 1/2 tons more if you are really curious!
Hello! I'd like to know if you can tell me where I can locate the numbers for hood markings. I have two trucks, and half of another (very graphic looking!) and looked all over all frames, and can only locate the serial number, not the registration number. I was told to look on the top,L.H. side frame, but see nothing. One other thing, which has nothing to do with this thread, but I have a terrible time trying to log into this site! It always say's I appear not to be logged in, but say's welcome for a few seconds, and then shows that message.Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks!:D

We'll get the thread back on track by putting up a picture of another truck with a 1207XXX stamped on the frame. The one on the right looks like an M220 but is actually an M207, possibly unique to Canada. Do you have data plates on that truck that say M211? CDN? The M207 ran the same dually set-up as the M211 so without a box on the back, it's hard to tell.

Your M211 must be an M207 which is just as cool. Welcome aboard and get on the net more often so you can show us some pictures.
Those trucks sound interesting!

View attachment 563679
I will get the requested pictures out as soon as possible. On the dash plates, it is marked M207. I didn't know what that was until doing some online searching which showed cab/chassis only. It isn't as nice looking as a lot of units shown here, but my aim is to get that way eventually! Lots of "grease under the nails" to go!

Juskatla

Hello! I'd like to know if you can tell me where I can locate the numbers for hood markings. I have two trucks, and half of another (very graphic looking!) and looked all over all frames, and can only locate the serial number, not the registration number. I was told to look on the top,L.H. side frame, but see nothing. One other thing, which has nothing to do with this thread, but I have a terrible time trying to log into this site! It always say's I appear not to be logged in, but say's welcome for a few seconds, and then shows that message.Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks!:D
When I get home, I will try to post a pic of a CDN truck circa mid '70s. Canadian trucks were originally marked with the CAR/ CFR on the doors, never on the hood. If your is a US truck, results will differ. The stamp should be visible, somewhere on the front of the frame where it was easy to locate for permanent identification. The door markings disappeared later in service and the DND license plates with the last 5 digits became the identification for each unit. M1010Plowboy has a copy of the pic I mentioned and may be able to post it here long before I can. It was taken with an old school pocket camera long before digital had any common use anywhere.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One other thing, which has nothing to do with this thread, but I have a terrible time trying to log into this site! It always say's I appear not to be logged in, but say's welcome for a few seconds, and then shows that message.Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks!:D
When you log in there is a "Remember Me" box next to the sign in box. Click on the box each time you log on and the problems go away.

A five year old can figure out how to post pictures on the site so I went and got a five year old to show me how to get into the "Go Advanced" box at the bottom, click on the 'paper clip' on the top, then 'Browse" through my pictures or computer to add to the thread. Kids are amazing these days.

I found CFR's on the doors, under paint on the glove box door and written in pen on the dash. Never have checked the top of the drivers side frame rail so that should be on the list. After a good scrubbing in the cab or a light sanding on the doors, things start to appear. The original OD paint was tough material and some of the lettering I've hit with cleaning products like "Goof off" wouldn't even smear so some of that was enamel like paint too.

Good luck with the photos, in 5 years of MV addiction I have only seen 3 - M207's.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?59917-How-to-post-pictures-a-tutorial

drlogistics

Took my 211 to pick up supplies for a fun filled weekend of landscape work. Snapped this at my local sod farm while grabbing some new grass. I also picked up about a thousand lbs of rock on the same trip. I love how this thing rides with some weight in the back. It really settles that heady duty suspension down.sod farm.jpg

When you log in there is a "Remember Me" box next to the sign in box. Click on the box each time you log on and the problems go away.

A five year old can figure out how to post pictures on the site so I went and got a five year old to show me how to get into the "Go Advanced" box at the bottom, click on the 'paper clip' on the top, then 'Browse" through my pictures or computer to add to the thread. Kids are amazing these days.

I found CFR's on the doors, under paint on the glove box door and written in pen on the dash. Never have checked the top of the drivers side frame rail so that should be on the list. After a good scrubbing in the cab or a light sanding on the doors, things start to appear. The original OD paint was tough material and some of the lettering I've hit with cleaning products like "Goof off" wouldn't even smear so some of that was enamel like paint too.

Good luck with the photos, in 5 years of MV addiction I have only seen 3 - M207's.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?59917-How-to-post-pictures-a-tutorial
Thank you so much for the help! I kept signed in so I wouldn't have to deal with that aggravation again today. I have to say, it's nice to have people ready to help out, my next question was in fact how to upload pictures. My truck doesn't have any differences that I have noticed compared to an official "born M211", the truck that I bought as scrap was a M211 and stamped on the frame and plates as such. It killed me to have to cut it apart because of how the scrap yard handled it with a grapple loader,(looked as if hit by trains) but I saved every little part I could, bent or rusted. The other truck, a M135, has something painted over on the passenger side door, and now with your advice, I'm going to sand it off and see what is there. I had another M135 back in 1986 or so, and remember a 84 painted in black stencil on the doors. These trucks are awesome! I loved that roar of the engine, and that thing seemed indestructible! Always wanted another one. Now, I started picking whatever is available and haul it home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks