• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The unofficial g749 picture thread

Another Ahab

Hello Plowboy,
The picture you submitted with the truck mounted pole setter, is what I have been looking for for some time! There was one at my current address years ago, and sold for ..............$200.00 ............complete, with all tooling, truck repair manual.....fully functional......I bought the place, but truck was long gone. I posted pictures of what is left of it just lately on this site. SOOOOO sad...!!
$200.00!!

You are KILLING me with that story. The guy gave it away!

Crying shame!!!

The reason for the sale, the owner had passed away and those handling his estate had to dispose of all assets. They were HAPPY to get $200.00 for the truck, because they had thought it would have to go out as scrap because who would want a thing like that!!!!!!!

I called the owner, and asked for permission before going and taking pictures, he was good enough to let me loose and look it over, probably for the last time. I was told later it was sold . The big blue can, was the"in cab gas tank" not military issue I'm guessing!!!! The rest speaks for it's self. I wanted to cry....This truck sat in my back yard.......and WAS complete......Please don't "bob" your truck:gimp: !!!

Another Ahab

Thanks to papabear down in Ga my M211 herd got two more beasts! :D

View attachment 588157

View attachment 588158

Soon I hope they start having more!
I remember learning about this in high school. If I remember right:

- Put them together in the same field

- And once the sun goes down cut-off all the lights

Just leave them alone and they'll know what to do. I think that's how it works.

Section8

These obviously aren't mine but I love seeing these trucks in their era of service.
I feel as though ibwas born in the wrong era my self. I am a total WW2 to Veitnam history nut.
Wish I could have gotten my Grandfather to talk about his WW2 service more. However being on 7 ships 5 of which were attacked and sunk would probably keep most guys quiet about the things they went through.
Also another reason I like keeping my feet on solid ground. Ground pounders all the way!

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back in the good old late 70's, Crown Assets was tasked with selling surplus military vehicles. A limited group of folks had the resources to make those purchases. I've tracked most of them down and one of them just happens to be an MVPA mentor and all round great guy. He passed me these pictures and still knows where the drill truck is resting so there is hope yet that another one of these will be saved.

One of the purchasers is a guy that I bought my first deuce from. He and his wife would be dropped off at an auction 200 miles south of Edmonton, hook up one M135 behind another and bring 4 deuces home. A sample of that hook-up can be seen in these pics from 78'.

P4121821.jpgP4121820.jpgP4121819.jpgP4121828.jpgP4121826.jpgP4121829.jpgP4121822.jpg

This piece on the front of Goose the Deuce still needs some dates and usage confirmation. It was saved by one of the collectors to be shared with everyone so here it is. Hands up if you've seen one of these before.

P4121804.jpg

Section8

That is one unique tow hitch! I am surprised they used to tow these old girls around by a plate with a pintle hitch bolted to it, shackled to the front bumper.
Mind you I bet it was due to war time use when a soldier didn't exactly have time on the field to climb under a rig and hook up an axle mounted tow bar.
Very cool piece of history saved!!

Oldfart

My guess is that the front mounted pintel was used to spot trailers. Easier to push one into a row or tight spot than to back a trailer in. I have a front receiver to launch my boat from its trailer. Tow it to the lake from the rear and re attach to the front so as to put it right where I want it leaving my rear tires on dry ground for better traction.

Juskatla

My guess is that the front mounted pintel was used to spot trailers. Easier to push one into a row or tight spot than to back a trailer in. I have a front receiver to launch my boat from its trailer. Tow it to the lake from the rear and re attach to the front so as to put it right where I want it leaving my rear tires on dry ground for better traction.
I've been looking through my old pics for a couple I took with a deuce being moved into a maintenance shelter with a towbar, pushed by another deuce. This was Wainwright, Alberta some 40+ yrs ago when Dave's Goose was almost new.... As suggested , spotting trailers, especially 4 wheel vans is easy with a front hitch. I'll bet there are lots of this kind of adaptations out there, just nobody left that remembers what they were for.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks