• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The unofficial g749 picture thread

restlessrobie

SO her story is actually very interesting. So she was given to a gentlemen (not sure that part of the story) who live next to some property I purchased in central Washington.
The whole family took a weekend off to spend preparing the property for use. Installed a well and solar power ETC. We were around the campfire having a few brews when the lady comes running up my driveway on a quad. Her husband had passed and the carlton complex fire had burned her fence along the property line down. She wanted to know if my brothers and I would like to help her repair the fence. We ran a little over a mile of fence along our property line and while walking back to her house I saw the beauty sitting in her pasture. So I inquired about the truck and after a little discussions bout how I had to make sure it would run and not be for parts she agreed to give it to me :) . So after a couple trips to get her running again I drover her half way home before the front wheel bearing took a crap. So a quick call to the towing company I work with at the shop she was towed to me driveway and now the fun has begun. Working on brakes and u-joints for now but she will be a great runner in a couple years.

restlessrobie

My main plans are for recreational use but she needs some work before that. At the moment I am focusing on brake repairs. Rebuilding the back axle and working forward :)

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a throw back to the past. I thought I read the entire internet and looked at every M135 photo, but maybe the boys over at http://olive-drab.com/ were holding out on us....until now!

This link http://militarymashup.com/truck-m135-m211.htm has a few dozen G749 photos that tell a bigger story on the Early Deuce. The picture of the G749's with the rocket....or missile.......opened my eyes. Not sure what trailer it's pulling but I'm real sure it's an M221. It would be nice to have the pics here on Steel Soldiers so we'll check the procedure for that. In the meantime, fire up some 50's music and enjoy the pics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4qtltfyFts

For the rest of the MV World, the listings of equipment pics are in a drop-down menu on the right. This is a very large data-base of historical photos so a big Thanks to those who put this together.
http://militarymashup.com/

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is appreciated. The Light blue and white shop van pictures came from a craigslist ad in Iowa a couple years ago. I recall it only being a 100 miles away or so. It belonged to a local HAM radio club. If I had the cash at the time I would not have purchased my yellow one.
I see a lot of CD trucks were blue and white. It is my understanding they were supposed to be painted those colors by the local civil defense organizations. My trucks were transferred to local governments. Red went to a Northern Minnesota Fire Department. I believe it was a brush truck or wild land firefighting apparatus. They cut holes for a water tank, hose bed and a side fill/dump pipe in the side.
Yellow went to Mead County South Dakota. The county that contains Sturgis SD, Ellsworth AFB and Mud Butte. It was most likely an equipment truck, radio truck or mobile command center. The antennae were still there so maybe? I wish someone knew for sure.
The federal government had programs to get trucks to local governments by way of the state forestry departments as well.
Dan

BalooGreen

My '53 XM211. Maybe I'll get time this summer away from college to work on it some, alot to do and so little time.
20161028_122441.jpg

BalooGreen

Nice truck! What's it need done to it?
Has a really bad shake when going straight, not turning just straight. I don't know what it exactly could be so I'm just gonna try one thing at a time. It also has a bad miss when pulling, but i think that just has to do with the points not sure though. and your average body clean up I guess you could say and a new coat of paint. Not too bad for a first time project I'd say.

USMC 00-08

Has a really bad shake when going straight, not turning just straight. I don't know what it exactly could be so I'm just gonna try one thing at a time. It also has a bad miss when pulling, but i think that just has to do with the points not sure though. and your average body clean up I guess you could say and a new coat of paint. Not too bad for a first time project I'd say.
My truck had a bad shake the day I bought it. Turns out it was a combination of a low driver side tire and the truck had sat for a while. Maybe a flat spot on the tire from sitting. You might try swaping some wheels/tires from front to back. It doesn't fix your problem, just moves it to a different axle, but that way you can rule out something more serious. One or both tires could be out of round.

Your miss is probably because the cap in the distributor is bad. Look at it to see if there are cracks or carbon lines. My guess is a new cap, rotor and points will fix you up.

Your fuel tank is not original but I like the way it looks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks