• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Wife is Screamin, For Joy or Pain, I can,t tell

So she really hasn't been informed, yet!
I just couldn't stop the incredible urge to take another plunge, straight into the depths of impulse buying. It was like a junkie with a needle in his arm, I lost all sense of judgment and balance. it was if a sensation of blind ambition had lead me down this road of yesteryear, I followed like a sheep follows its..........
Ok enough I bought a 42' Chevy Tipper, and it felt good, like a full rig should.
Have a look and nurse me along on the ride to WW11 truck pride of ownership[thumbzup]

Attachments

I'll let the experts make that call, as for the bed. The frame is original equipment for sure, I took a number of pictures of the data plates, none are readable on the camera. It was in Wikenburg Arizona, still is, I'll trailer it out Monday back to Sedona and assess its needs.
I'll keep you all updated, it drove real well, has 200 year old Arizona tires and little brake ability's.
It does have a very straight clean Arizona body and frame with a number of slow leaks in the usual places.

Attachments

lacoda56

Good score! Looks to be in really great shape. Lose the dump box and find a more original bed and you're in business!

Mdmorgan, it's already a 1 1/2 ton single axle. How would you go about "bobbing" it?

Ron

"Duramax and a 4L80E"
When you gonna come by and help me get a start on that, Kenny :p
As for the tipper bed it works very well, I do believe its mechanics are original to its intents to be a dumper. I don't know if the bed is original, once again the pros will hopefully chime in with the truth, Oh wait "I can,t handle the truth"rofl
As for the paint scheme, OOOOuuuccchhhh, I'm going to fix that once I've tortured the HOA and the community at large:twisted:

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dump bed looks original/correct. I think Sam Werner may have the hood side panels with "CHEVROLET" embossed. Nothing cooler. Very nice find.

Thanks on the call on the dump bed NDT, now to the important biz at hand, who is Sam Werner, and how do I get my hands on those embossed "Chevy" side panels:drool:?
Its been asked here already if I'd be painting it, the 2 biggest requirements are... Bed originality (and others in general) and engine side covers.
Thanks DrGreg, it was nice to get your pm to assure me that parts trucks where worth what I was fishing to get this one for, it does have sum nice perts;-)
As for restoring it I'll have to get it home first and do some splainning to Lucyroflfirst, I will walk a little before I run as far as restoration.
I was going to use it to try and prop up my slummping dirt buisness first with some shameless local driving, it is sure to turn a few heads.
Thanks, Oh I was wondering when Paulfaber was going to weigh in, I might feel the need to seek out some consouling after his assessment, just a fun little jab, I've spent some time reading his post on this forum, I'm glad I did, I'll be thick skinned along the way. lol

Attachments

paulfarber

I am not a Chevy guy.. but I see some things that are going to hold you up.

The side panels are not an issue.. Bob Muller www.VehcilesofVictory.com has them. Date the truck properly so you can determine if you need the 'Chevrolet' embossed ones of the plain ones (after 42 would be 'slick sides').

Biggest issue (and most common) is the fuel neck is missing.. possibly the fuel tank. Good luck finding one.

Also no 'headache' rack in the pics... did you get one? They can be made... but will not be 100%.

What does the engine look like? Thats where the money goes and where an collectable truck is made or broken. Does it have the correct (or even better) original engine?

Nice find. Dumpers are nice... only thing that could top it would be a winch version.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sam Werner's phone at Tracy City, TN is 931-592-3601. He can be hard to get a hold of. Can you post a pic of the data plate on the front of the bed? Should say "Galion All Steel" or something like that.

Thanks for the good advice and info. I'll get better pictures when it is up here in my reach, I know the pictures of the data plate are not good however the data plates are very very hard to read. Any advice as to make them re-appear or stand out would be great. I was thinking I might try to use a pencil and transpairant paper, or even black the whole plate out with paint and then sand and polish with a fine blocked sand paper. As for engine it is for sure not original:-( can't win them all.
Thanks for all the good info! I read allot on the CCKW forum, and I know I'll need tires, seems like there is some options out there, anyone have some rubber options in the southwest part of the country.
Thanks

Attachments

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Mdmorgan, it's already a 1 1/2 ton single axle. How would you go about "bobbing" it?

Ron
I don't know much about the cckw's, i've never seen a single axle one, and it looked like M105 springs and perches. Either way it looks great and once it's back in military paint it will look even better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks