• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Wife is Screamin, For Joy or Pain, I can,t tell

lacoda56

Mdmorgan

Oops, I thought you were kidding. It's a chevy and it's only posted here 'cause it fits. During WWII, as a general rule, GMC built the tandem 6x6, 2 1/2 ton with the designation CCKW. Each letter means something, but I can't remember off hand. Chevy built the 4x4 1 1/2 ton version. Of course it is possible to bob a CCKW, but that's another animal entirely. I know this is a simplified explanation, but I'm pretty simple, myself.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Just trying to learn something new about this wonderful hobby I feel priviledged to be a part of. Now that I know better and have some info to go on, to google I shall go:smile:.

JDToumanian

The truck is schaweet...but the paint job has GOT to go...and so do those galvanized engine covers. Blecch!
I was going to ask how many clowns can fit in the cab.... But I actually kinda like the paint job, just not on a WWII MV.

Great truck!

Jon

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
7.50-20 ND Tires are available from WallaceWade.com for (ouch) $236 ea. I can make out the writing on the bed data plate, it says "Hercules Steel Products, Galion, Ohio". That's the military bed. Don't sweat not having the original "stove bolt" 235 Chevy motor. Any subsequent GM inline 6 will fit nicely and add much reliability. As far as the data plates, bead blast, paint with black enamel, then carefully sand off the tops of the letters and borders with 400 grit, then coat with clear lacquer.

paulfarber

You can get the plates remade at any shop that etches zinc. Its still a common process and since you already have a master to follow its just a matter of scanning and outlining in Corel or Adobe. I checked into getting CCKW plates done and it was $90 for all of them (5 plates).. so its not expensive.

There is a guy in Poland that does a lot of data plates but I don't know about Chevy's.

Any 'specialty' tire dealer will have NDT's. They are made by two company's, DENMAN and Specialty Tire in PA. Everyone else simply resells so don't expect much price variation. Get them at a show or from whomever is closer.

Wallace Wade, Coker, Universal Tire

https://www.universaltire.com/truck-and-military/military/750-20-firestone-military-ndt.html

$230 + tube and flap and the killer: shipping.

If you plan on driving it on the road go with civvy tread. Its 100% accurate and NDTs SUCK in the rain, dry pavement, snow etc. They 'look' the part but are horrible tires.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would put a 65-70 chevy 250 6 with the low geared first 4 spd truck trans, most likely won't find a better repower package fo this truck

I think the straight 6 they put in it was a 1975/77 gmc 270, as best I can tell the rest of the drive train is original. I'll get some pictures of it this week for sure. It sits about a 120 miles from my home in the middle, and I mean middle of nowhere, desert, hot, Sagharo cactus land. It looks like a the Hotel California,
"You can check out anytime you'd like......"
"on a dark desert highway....."

Attachments

steelypip

There are two ways to go with this truck's drivetrain: Full stock or modern reliability and speed.

Given that the brakes are probably pretty good if the bed is empty, you could probably stand to put more engine under the hood and go faster with it (within reason) than stock would allow. That's pretty much what you've got now.

OTOH, the normal stovebolt Chevrolet truck engine is not rare and you could stick a '41-63 235 Chevy under the hood and nobody would know the difference. I'd probably get a take-out from a '50-63 Chevy car that somebody wanted to hot rod and stuff that in. Parts are generic and plentiful, and every weakness of the engine is known. Stovebolts made as much as 150 (gross) HP, but I'm guessing that the 123 HP tuning is probably about as aggressive as you'd want to go, maybe even lower perf than that if you anticipate putting a load in the bed.

It wouldn't be fast, and it wouldn't be great for road trips, but it would be about as close to stock as you're going to manage.

I would not, though, put a small-block Chevy in. It would always sound wrong, and too much torque is rough on driveline parts.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the straight 6 they put in it was a 1975/77 gmc 270, /QUOTE]
Agreed, looks like a GMC 270, but looks WWII to me as well. The crankcase vent tube coming off the valve cover is a military thing. The 270 is a great motor free of weaknesses and I would leave it in there.

Just as soon as this rig is back here in the Red Rocks, all you guys are invited out for wrenching, Beers, cheers and will find a pole for all 3 girls I know, opps strike the last comment the wife still reads my stuff, and I just finish selling her on my new toy.
She just looked at the dump box and said something about filling it with shoes!
Women, go figure, can't live with them, can't.........aua

paulfarber

Yeah thats a CCKW GMC 270. The crank case ventilator system is visible (the thing hanging off the oil fill tube) There should also be a valve just before the intake manifold.

The 270s are popular and parts are all over. You could upgrade to a GMC 302 and pick up some HP/torque and still have a bolt in engine.

waayfast

Whoa!! I thinks we may be getting ahead of ourselves here---I didn't see anything about the engine not running (or maybe I just missed that part-the ol' lady swears I don't pay attention--)

If that 270 GMC runs well--leave it in there! That is one of the most popular repowers for that truck and maybe if you are lucky they installed the Clark 5 speed from the Donor CCKW as well.If you have that engine/trans setup already, you are as good as it gets for drive train for that truck while staying close to original.

Overall I'd suggest a trip to town for lotto tickets -----you have really scored with that truck--

Thanks for the engine/drive tran clarifications, I've returned from town with my lotto tickets:grin: If any one could guesstimate curb weight on this truck, I am trying to make my tow/haul plans for tomorrow. I know I've read it on someones thread, I just can't remember where. If my memory serves me I thought between 9 and 10,000 lbs.
If tomorrows recovery goes well I'll be sure to get some more pictures, I'd like to get some of the dump mechanics, there a kick compared to modern day stuff.

Oh yea Waayfast, engine does run extremely nice[thumbzup] For now I've got to have the radiator checked or re-cord, and dig into some brake issues. Then the fun can begin Tires, paint..........

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chevy will tip the scales right under 10,000. Now's the time to use your double chain towbar adapters on the front bumper if you plan to flat tow. Better check for oil in the diffs and transfer. Good luck!

waayfast

You LUCKY sonova------:grin:! If the engine is good you can now spend all your bucks for the tires--[thumbzup].

Our cargo G506 is such a mess of Bubba-tation that I don't dare even put it up here for view--Paul would simply have a stroke!!Really!:p;-)! But our parts 506 appears to have an original 235 dip and flipper---quite possibly THE original engine it came with.It has an engine rebuild tag (1950 I think)from a local rebuilder in the Boise valley.If so -then CRAP--looks like I would feel obligated to go really stock.I personally would rather do a GMC 270/5speed or a later model 235 at least.

Hey waayfast, What about paint, my daughter is already putting dips on it for when she's driving in H.S. I here that Pink Zebra stripes are expensive to paint. Could you imagine the sh*t I'd get from the boyz on SS, I can hear it now.
Thanks for the weight confirmation NDT, I spoke with my Father in Law down in Phx. will pull it to his place for a little more R&R in the full sun.
I plan to bring it back with the latest toy I bought yesterday, thats 2 trucks in 2 days. I can't pick up the newest truck till Tuesday, it has a real amazing story behind how I bought/traded for it. Was original truck with the Grand Canyon RR, a true cream puff, I'm so Jazzed, the truck Gods are looking down on me:jumpin:
I know I would need to start a new thread however I'm a bit uncertain about the fall-out from the knuckle boom not being Military issued. Does it count that I wanted to put a Kboom on a 5ton??

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks