• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

the XM971 "command camper" build

ke5eua

Why that's what size most rvs run in fact I think that's the name of that type plug.
When you use a female receptacle as your input you have to make what is called a suicide plug.

All RV sites, your house, even the military "power-out" receptacle have the female on the pole / wall and your cord has the male end.

This is for your safety in mind!

Now if you have the female end on your rv and the camp site has the female, you have to make a double male plug, increasing your chances of getting shocked.

Think of your house. All your plugs are female. Female receptacle provides the power, male plug accepts the power.

Ask any electrician and they will agree that a double male plug is a no-no unless a dire emergency.

I went to school to play with electricity and things like that make me cringe because if the wrong person grabbed the cord not knowing they could kill themselves.

Pic of the no-no cord.

259x194px-LL-e8166469_images.jpeg

Csm Davis

I thought that might be your argument and I agree that it should be the male on the trailer. I personally am going with a 50 amp setup and balance each hot leg so I can split it and pull from two regular 120 outlets if needed.

ke5eua

They make flush mount receptacles and they can be found at most rv dealerships that has a parts department.

Looking through the build I noticed he installed a 100A single phase breaker and that was also one of the reasons I asked about the 30A plug.

Great build though, makes me want to get a trailer and do one myself.

If your plan is to pull from two separate outlets make sure they are on separate breakers. Remember, the 50A outlet will provide 220 volts across the two hots so make sure you take that into consideration. Most breaker panels for 50a are two phase.

My dad had the same idea for his 5th wheel and wondered why his outlet melted. My dad is a firefighter, and I'm the electrical guy. After I piggy backed off his welder plug and running a new neutral line he was good to run the full 50A.

Csm Davis

Yeah most outlets at the RV parks are setup on different breakers for this reason. As for the inside breakers there are many boxes on the 971 and are already split off the input as 120v boxes. There has to be several thousand dollars worth of just electrical in these trailers.

jdknech

What happened with the storing it at your house deal and the story about the local authorities were going to confiscate ( STEAL ) your trailer??
I live in a small-ish town, and they really don't like my vehicle hobby, (also branches out to firetrucks, and other larger trucks) so when I got this trailer from GL, the tried to call it a commercial vehicle (no overnight parking of commercial vehicles in town) and I couldn't prove otherwise because I hadn't got a title for it yet.. So I trucked it to my buddy's farm at about 2am, so that when the tow truck showed up at around 6am to take it.. They couldn't find it.. It's all tagged and insured now, and it's parked out front of my house now.. So I can work on it, but I still leave it at my buddy's place for the most part..

jdknech

Post 104 you have a pic of a 30 amp female receptacle. Please tell me that is not you power input.
That is my power input for now.. I was trying to get power into it, so I could work on it with the doors closed (was pretty cold out) i was planning on putting in weather tight connectors before it's done, and also use a 220 cord.. The current cord is just a 110 (10ga) cord so I could get power in.. I had really hoped to find the other end of the military input connecter so I could use it.. But they must be pretty rare.. Thanks for looking out for me..

ke5eua

That is my power input for now.. I was trying to get power into it, so I could work on it with the doors closed (was pretty cold out) i was planning on putting in weather tight connectors before it's done, and also use a 220 cord.. The current cord is just a 110 (10ga) cord so I could get power in.. I had really hoped to find the other end of the military input connecter so I could use it.. But they must be pretty rare.. Thanks for looking out for me..
Well it's been almost a year since you posted the pics so I'm guessing your playing it safe.

jdknech

That is amazing that they were planning on taking your trailer...
the town i live in has adopted lots of "HOA type" laws.. now i DO NOT live in a HOA, and the land has been in the family since before the town was ever incorperated.. but they are trying to make the whole town like a HOA.. they tried to take our horses awhile back, but we took the town to court and beat them (we had the horses before they passed a law saying no farm animals in town limits.. and right before they passed the law, they annexed our land into the town, so the judge sided with us..) i reall want to move waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out in the countryside, but that just isnt in the books for now..