• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

They tried to kick my truck out of the neighborhood!

peteybabes

In case you can't read the bad scan and horrible spelling :) (sorry the scan came through twice on the pdf)

"Military transport Vehicle parked in the driveway infringes upon residential character of the neighborhood. Three axel military transport Vehicle shall be removed from the site and properly stored of site"

i included verbatim spelling and capitalization (which is terrible).

However, my truck is not actually commercial and i don't think that this is a valid warning. (I can only assume that somebody complained, even though I've had tons of neighbors come up and talk to me about it)

Just a bit of background, it was parked at a friends house about 500ft away from our house in another neighborhood. All I have done so far is go and pick it up and drive it back to our neighborhood (even nicer neighborhood than my friends...) and haven't heard anything yet... :neutral:

How legit is this complaint even? I simply use it as a personal truck and the paint is in good shape so not a rusty old hulk. My neighbor drives an even louder 5.9L Cummins...

If this complaint shows up again at our house, then I will take it straight to the Police Chief and ask him about it I guess. (he's a great guy who helped me get my guns back after some were illegally taken by his officers from my car)

Attachments

turnkey

Looks like the B.S..flag has been rised......Call cops and find out who is complaining and why...Could be this is not official...Just saying...

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Police chief is not who you go to it's the zoning folks and they have their own powers. Couple of years ago now had a police officer looking at a deuce on patrol when the Zoning guy showed up and wrote a warning. PD and I both tried to talk him out of it, two trips to court and fine paid deuce is no longer at the house.2cents

dilligaf13

Correct. This is not a law enforcement matter, it is a zoning matter. Which is far worse because the zoning personnel have far less oversight, than law enforcement, and as such are poorly regulated, trained or informed.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yep what porkysplace said.
J. "Former Military Vehicle" means a vehicle, including a Trailer, regardless of the
vehicle's size, weight, or year of manufact
ure, that was manufactured for use in any
country's military forces or is a replica of such a vehicle.

If you want to read the entire ordnance here is the link. http://www.opkansas.org/Doc/722-Vehi...nd-Storage.pdf

Last edited:

dilligaf13

Ummm, wow, that's a little over the top. Could simply be an over zealous code enforcement officer but I don't think wishing harm on his or anyone else's family, that is completely innocent as to the situation at hand, is the solution.

Last edited:

General Hood

city ordnances range broadly across the good ole USA. I live in a community where I can park a fleet of MVs in my yard and driveway, but cant have a structure greater than 20 ft in height, so had to fight city hall over my ham radio antenna which would actually support the community in emergencies. Win a few and lose a few, but I never go down without a fight if I feel my rights are threatened. Good luck with code enforcement / zoning folks. Let us know the outcome

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ummm, wow, that's a little over the top. Could simply be an over zealous code enforcement officer but I don't think wishing harm on his or anyone else's family, that is completely innocent as to the situation at hand, is the solution.
Agreed much over the top. Check up from the neck up is in order.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Research the regs/laws before engaging. I can't have a m109 due to its weight in my city, but I can have a RV that is twice the size. RV is defined as a vehicle with a kitchen or bathroom or bedroom in it. My solution is to make my m931 and m109 into an rv before I bring it back.

Originally I tried to argue with common sense stuff, don't try to do that.

I will probably talk with a lawyer before I bring it back as well to make sure I have my bases covered.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep what porkysplace said.
J. "Former Military Vehicle" means a vehicle, including a Trailer, regardless of the
vehicle's size, weight, or year of manufact
ure, that was manufactured for use in any
country's military forces or is a replica of such a vehicle.

If you want to read the entire ordnance here is the link. http://www.opkansas.org/Doc/722-Vehi...nd-Storage.pdf
That's the first time I've ever seem MVs specifically written into the code. They pretty much have you with that wording.

Most of the time they try to lump MVs into the commercial code which you can sometimes fight and win, sometimes not.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
You are simply in violation.
It's not BS. It really doesn't matter whether you use it daily, have private tags, commercial tags. You live in a residential neighborhood. After reading what it all spells out. The grammar is fine for getting the point across.

Is the vehicle greater than 6500lbs? yes. You really have no recourse here.

Zoning enforcement probably has less staffing than your police department. But, they now have your number, and will cruise back by to see if it is still there. The fines will get you.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know a guy that used to be our local city codes enforcer. He told me that they never would go out looking for violations but if somebody complained they had to follow the law and enforce the code.

If you are in violation of code, I wouldn't be to hard on the codes man. If somebody did in fact report it, he has to enforce it by law. Now if you think you're within the code, you can fight it and might win.

If you are in code violation, you can ask for a variance and they are routinely issued in some places. They usually only issue a variance if none of you neighbors complain though.

peteybabes

city ordnances range broadly across the good ole USA. I live in a community where I can park a fleet of MVs in my yard and driveway, but cant have a structure greater than 20 ft in height, so had to fight city hall over my ham radio antenna which would actually support the community in emergencies. Win a few and lose a few, but I never go down without a fight if I feel my rights are threatened. Good luck with code enforcement / zoning folks. Let us know the outcome
Well, as I said, i have moved it and will see if it comes up again...then i will see if i have any room to move, or just store it a few miles away at work.

peteybabes

Howdy,
You are simply in violation.
It's not BS. It really doesn't matter whether you use it daily, have private tags, commercial tags. You live in a residential neighborhood. After reading what it all spells out. The grammar is fine for getting the point across.

Is the vehicle greater than 6500lbs? yes. You really have no recourse here.

Zoning enforcement probably has less staffing than your police department. But, they now have your number, and will cruise back by to see if it is still there. The fines will get you.
Just didn't expect this to come up. i never even saw the officer. some laborers were working on the house and said he walked up to talk to them about it, and went and put the warning on the front door of the house. We will see what happens.

peteybabes

I know a guy that used to be our local city codes enforcer. He told me that they never would go out looking for violations but if somebody complained they had to follow the law and enforce the code.

If you are in violation of code, I wouldn't be to hard on the codes man. If somebody did in fact report it, he has to enforce it by law. Now if you think you're within the code, you can fight it and might win.

If you are in code violation, you can ask for a variance and they are routinely issued in some places. They usually only issue a variance if none of you neighbors complain though.
I have contact with the best property lawyer firm in central Ohio, who are helping us with zoning changes on some other property, and if it comes up again I will ask him if it is even worth my time to mess with it. After all, I do have other places to park it, it just isn't as convenient as it being in the driveway...