• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

They tried to kick my truck out of the neighborhood!

Smckerigan

I had the same thing happen to me, I had a visit from our city code person and she asked what I was doing with my truck and I needed to respect people. I asked what code I was breaking and she couldn't answer. I got pissed off and went to the city and all they could do was print off a five pages of different codes and I asked so what code I'm I breaking and they couldn't tell me. So off to the police station and they told me I'm doing nothing wrong by parking my M925 at home. This was the last time the city was at my house.

ScubaCat

155mm is absolutely right, devil is in the details. If you decide to try and fight it read all the applicable code and definitions (they already cited some for you), yes it is boring, but necessary. My county in MD defines and commercial vehicle as any vehicle with a GVWR or GCWR over 10,000lbs (regardless of use) for zoning purposes, and like your area they are not allowed in residential subdivisions. Stupid, yes, technically any 3/4-ton or greater pickup is a commercial vehicle, and there are loads of them parked in driveways. In my experience the zoning folks only come out when somebody complains.
Two ways to fix that...get a bunch of said owners together and petition the city/county council to change the ordnance/zoning OR failing that, play dirty and narc every such instance you see and let the owners go to fight it in an uproar. Sometimes people dont care until it effects THEM.

ScubaCat

The key statement to this issue is the term " commercial" in the ordinance! If you are like me, my truck is not registered as commercial, but as my POV. It has tags and insurance not much different than my cars and is registered no different than a pick up truck. You may have it dismissed and end your problems if you go and show the registration as such to the board. My neighbors have tried the same with mine, but it properly registered and parked fully in my driveway, and is not commercial, so they can do nothing about it except complain.
In NYS, all trucks run commercial PLATES, but that does not make them "commercial", they are still a POV. What makes them Commercially Commercial, is the DOT#s you would have to have shown showing you were driving your commercial truck in a commercially, profit driven manner, therefore not using your commercial truck in daily activities related to employment makes your commercial truck technically NOT commercial.

Look into how they define "commercial".

BenRoberts

Certified insane
I bought a house out of the city, no HOA, cant be seen from the road and my 5 ton sits in the middle of the yard all the time. Could never live where im told how to live. Id be moving if I were you

drivebymashing

I agree people like me dont fit in neighborhoods with people telling me how to park or what I can drive. Whatever happened to freedom of what vehicle you can drive. I live in the the south Im not a redneck but I do enjoy my large vehicles.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
In all actuality some people just aren't happy unless they are in someone else's business or someone else is unhappy. My neighbors actually liked it cause with my 923 parked in the driveway the "gangster wannabe's" in the neighborhood don't even come down the street. I live in a very dangerous city by murder stats, but I don't even lock my doors on my house when I leave. They prob figure it booby trapped. Not much sense to lock my doors with a dog door big enough for an English mastiff to fit thru.

Snowtiger

What's sad is they concern their focus on good folks because they know that they don't want trouble and crooks and thieves carry on with slaps on the wrist. You pay thousands in taxes but do you really enjoy the freedoms our forefathers died for.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This kind of nonsense is why I left California when I retired and moved to a small town in Nevada. People here mind their own business and leave you alone.

DanM7890

I worried about this exact thing when I brought my M998 home. It really wasn't an issue because it was sort of hidden in my backyard. Now that I have the M1081 in the backyard, there has been noticeably more slow drivers come by the house. I live in Charlotte city limits but in an old 50s brick ranch neighborhood with original owners so they don't really mess with me. If I ever sell the house, I'm going to the country, as city rules and nosey neighbors are something I don't want to deal with.

Lukes_deuce

In NYS, all trucks run commercial PLATES, but that does not make them "commercial", they are still a POV. What makes them Commercially Commercial, is the DOT#s you would have to have shown showing you were driving your commercial truck in a commercially, profit driven manner, therefore not using your commercial truck in daily activities related to employment makes your commercial truck technically NOT commercial.

Look into how they define "commercial".
This is just another good point of saying how to look into the laws. Even though ScubaCat and I live in the great state of NY, we have different laws. Im in a normal residential development with a half acre about 35 miles East of NYC. My 5 ton is registered and licensed as historical. It sits in my back yard, pretty much out of the way. But also my pick up is a Dodge 2500 with a GVM of 10000 lbs with non-commercial plates. It comes down to the laws and your neighbors. I have very good neighbors so I dont have a worry about it. Since this situation does not have good neighbors, you have to look at all the laws. Building dept, local police, and I would say the tax assessor as well, as they are the ones who arrange the zoning and zoning laws. Good luck with your fight!

Doug Roberts

I'm zoned R1 with a CCUP ( compact community use permit) zoning 360 degrees around me , 4 million dollar homes to an acre haha , yes , I am their entertainment and I decide daily what it'll be. So , onto your situation ... there's an ordinance in place that does not favor you based on the weight of the vehicle. Don't get caught up in descriptive words that will only lead you back to where there is an infraction. Your best route would be to attend the commissioner's meeting and ask for a variance that could resolve anyone's complaint against it being there. Start your inquiry with the Planning Department , be nice , they're going to let you know who's in control pretty quickly.

74M35A2

In all actuality some people just aren't happy unless they are in someone else's business or someone else is unhappy. My neighbors actually liked it cause with my 923 parked in the driveway the "gangster wannabe's" in the neighborhood don't even come down the street. I live in a very dangerous city by murder stats, but I don't even lock my doors on my house when I leave. They prob figure it booby trapped. Not much sense to lock my doors with a dog door big enough for an English mastiff to fit thru.
Same here. I'm not in a murder capital (23 miles from it), but when my wife thought she heard something in the house at night, I quickly doubted it and said if I was looking for free stuff, I would be skipping the house that had an M925A2 parked in the backyard. She agreed, and suddenly does not have as much objection to it parked in our back driveway. Older small brick ranch, residential sub.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Same here. I'm not in a murder capital (23 miles from it), but when my wife thought she heard something in the house at night, I quickly doubted it and said if I was looking for free stuff, I would be skipping the house that had an M925A2 parked in the backyard. She agreed, and suddenly does not have as much objection to it parked in our back driveway. Older small brick ranch, residential sub.
Well at least she understands that. My ex wife didnt ever get it. Even with 2 Fila Brasileiros and a south Russian ovtcharka in the house she still thought someone would break in. Thats nearly 500lbs of dogs and a few huge trucks in the drive. Buddy its a house for a gun lives. Like jeff Foxworthy said. They look for manicured lawns. Not one with a motor hanging from a tree limb.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

ScubaCat

Well at least she understands that. My ex wife didnt ever get it. Even with 2 Fila Brasileiros and a south Russian ovtcharka in the house she still thought someone would break in. Thats nearly 500lbs of dogs and a few huge trucks in the drive. Buddy its a house for a gun lives. Like jeff Foxworthy said. They look for manicured lawns. Not one with a motor hanging from a tree limb.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
The fact that I sometimes mow the yard with a gun on my side seemed to get around and I live in a decent neighborhood. Having the local PD shift Sargent living 2 doors down helps too.

WYomer

Geico wanted me to have commercial insurance on my m35a2 because of its weight. Even though under the 26k limit. I changed companies saved 170 a month.
I have commercial coverage from Geico and I pay $270 a year! How do you save $170 a month? GEICO commercial doesn't get insurance bonuses for regular or home insurances.

Jeep Nasty

Do what I did, run for planning/ zoning board and fight them from within. I've been working on repealing ordinances that take away property rights an we prevented a " nuisance uses" ordinance straight out of the HOA handbook from the hot place down under from getting to voters.
The current board doesn't like me because I inform voters of their rights and I'm working to take away some of the powers of the board even though I'm a sitting member. I started a property rights group on Facebook to rally the troops on important issues. I'm also passing a regulation that requires a name and address to be on any complaint seeking enforcement, not allowing anonymous complaints from the "nosey nellies" in town. The is to get neighbors talking to each other instead of tattling on each other. It's time consuming but it's good to fight the good fight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks