• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking about a 1st Deuce

Olympus

I can do preventative maintenance like oil changes without issue. I also have a good deal of heavy truck driving experience. I just am not knowledgeable on engine repairs, diagnosing, etc.

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of that info can be found on here, I've had my deuce almost a year now never had owned a big vehicle ,diesel or an mv. You just need patience and some determination

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got temporary custody of carnac's truck. It's everything you could want in a deuce - A3 rims with 14.5's, hardtop, air assist steering, winch, dropsides, cargo cover etc. My understanding is that Clinto the deuce doctor went through it completely.

Carnac is wanting $12k for it. I'll drive it to Cape for the cost of fuel - I've got a house in MO and need to get back there and retrieve some stuff anyway. ...

Thanks

Olympus

I've got temporary custody of carnac's truck. It's everything you could want in a deuce - A3 rims with 14.5's, hardtop, air assist steering, winch, dropsides, cargo cover etc. My understanding is that Clinto the deuce doctor went through it completely.

Carnac is wanting $12k for it. I'll drive it to Cape for the cost of fuel - I've got a house in MO and need to get back there and retrieve some stuff anyway. ...

Thanks
That's very generous of you. I actually just live outside of Cape. However, I don't know who carnac is, or Clinto, or what the truck looks like, and I think the biggest problem is I don't have $12k. :( I greatly appreciate your offer and might be getting in touch is I can save up the additional funds.

tobyS

You will be able to find a reliable 5 ton right now easier than a deuce A3 within your budget. Lots of bobbed 5 tons start as tractors, thus no frame shortening and for investment, you get more #/$...plus auto, PS, air brakes, radials. NO CDL reqd if you are not doing commercial work either.

Olympus

You will be able to find a reliable 5 ton right now easier than a deuce A3 within your budget. Lots of bobbed 5 tons start as tractors, thus no frame shortening and for investment, you get more #/$...plus auto, PS, air brakes, radials. NO CDL reqd if you are not doing commercial work either.
After a quick Craigslist search of places within about 5 hours of my location, I saw plenty of ads for 5 tons, some of them pretty good looking tractors for around $7k to $8k, but I only saw one ad for a deuce. It was in pretty rough shape also. Is there a reason that the 5 tons are easier to find? I'm also interested in hearing about this "no frame shortening" you mentioned on the 5 tons. I don't really understand what you mean.

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you typically bob a truck you need to shorten the frame, believe he is saying if you use the shorter frame of a tractor you do not

Olympus

I'm tracking with you now. The 931/932 trucks are actually "tractors" and have a shorter frame already. So dropping one of the axles and remounting the remaining axle would give a "bobbed" look without actually cutting the frame since the 931/2 is already a shorter frame?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After a quick Craigslist search of places within about 5 hours of my location, I saw plenty of ads for 5 tons, some of them pretty good looking tractors for around $7k to $8k, but I only saw one ad for a deuce. It was in pretty rough shape also. Is there a reason that the 5 tons are easier to find? I'm also interested in hearing about this "no frame shortening" you mentioned on the 5 tons. I don't really understand what you mean.

The deuce supply has all but dried up. The military phased tjem out quite some time ago.

The 5ton trucks are just now entering the decline portion of being phased out, so they are plentiful and cheap and will likely remain so for about another year.

My opinion is that the 939series trucks are vastly superior to the deuces, yet supply and demand means that deuces are about 1.5 times the cost for a roughly equivalent truck.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm tracking with you now. The 931/932 trucks are actually "tractors" and have a shorter frame already. So dropping one of the axles and remounting the remaining axle would give a "bobbed" look without actually cutting the frame since the 931/2 is already a shorter frame?
Or leave the drivetrain unmolested and replace the 5th wheel with a cut down bed... best of both worlds: short, and still keeping 6x6 functionality.

Olympus

That's sharp. What are the benefits of keeping it in 6×6 form? I have no plans of taking the truck off roading or through mud. More like a weekend cruiser and backup bugout rig.

tobyS

Olympus...simple supply and demand. The trucks they (the US government) are getting rid of now are almost all 5 tons with the exception of (very) few deuces that come up. Before you buy, drive at least one of each you are considering. I think you will like the 5 tons for the creature comfort of PS and PB.

There are three frame lengths for the 5 tons. The tractor and dump truck are the shortest frame. The cargo is next and there is an extended cargo. Each gets harder to manage in city driving, but with more haul space.

There are 2 models of 5 tons, the earlier (84) had a non-turbo Cummins 250 and the later (91) had the turbo 8.3. Both are good engines but the later model gets a bit better mileage. In the earlier version (84)(931A0) there are some with 11.00 duels and reversed buds on the front. The A1 version is singled out with 14.00 tires and has the Cummins 250 natural aspirated. The A2 has 8.3T and the single 14.00's.

When bobbing, the short frame is desired to save on alteration cost, unless you want a long truck. Removal of one axle is not that complicated but adding frame or bed modification of a cargo takes more time and skill. Then again, a cargo comes with a bed that can be shortened. Most people use a M105 trailer frame for the bed. Personally I would consider an M1061 or a deuce bed. Use google images for comparison... put in "bobbed 5 ton " and "bobbed deuce".

tobyS

According to wiki the 923 is 9'7". It does not say if it's the A0 duals, the A1 or A2 singles height. It's a good reason to get rid of the spare and it's crane (carry spare in the bed) and at the same time, shorten the exhaust a bit. Cost 18.00 for a new elbow about 10" shorter. Start with a hard top to avoid soft top issues. Myself, I'd like a roll bar.

I have (2) 931's, one rebuilt in 2012 and one with 21k miles that I wanted to bob, but have not done it yet. I've bought 10 and sold 8 of the 5 ton trucks. All have left with new batteries and running sweet.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Removal of one axle is not that complicated but adding frame or bed modification of a cargo takes more time and skill. Then again, a cargo comes with a bed that can be shortened. Most people use a M105 trailer frame for the bed.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I consider cutting down a cargo bed from 14' to 10' to be fairly trivial, but driveline alteration to be a fairly big deal...

tobyS

[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I consider cutting down a cargo bed from 14' to 10' to be fairly trivial, but driveline alteration to be a fairly big deal...[/QUOTE]

I've modified several driveshafts (not these trucks) and never had a problem. Shortening the frame...no thanks if I can avoid it. I think there are plenty of posts that show it both ways.