• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking about a 1st Deuce

tmuenster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a timely topic for me. I am also considering a Bobbed M35A3. They seem like great trucks and would meet my needs for a general purpose "super-duty" pickup. I intend to keep my truck at a cabin and use it occasionally to move my boat, trips to the lumber yard, some hunting trips, etc. I have other daily drivers so the Deuce would just be a fun truck/work horse to have around.

I currently have two M1008's, a M715 and a '99 Suburban 2500 Turbo Diesel (Ex-Air Force Fire Vehicle). I truly prefer the diesels to any gas trucks I have owned. My M715 is in great condition and I have wrestled with what to do with it. It would be fantastic with a Cummins 6BT but the cost/time/hassle of the conversion is a bridge too far for me. The Bobbed M35A3 seems like a really great option with the CAT diesel and tons of utility purposes. I think it may be time for me to let go of the M1008's and the M715 so I will just have the M35A3. Any advice for someone considering making the jump from M1008's/M715 to the M35A3?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bobbing trucks is done for several common, and an infinite number of uncommon reasons.
Some of the common ones include, but are not limited to: owner's preference; lesser license requirments (3-axle in CA = CDL required); reduced weight and or capacity (some state's registration fees are weight based); insurance savings; Home Owners Association (HOA) or city vehicle size based parking restrictions; and the list goes on and on.

The downside of bobbing a vehicle is NO EGINEERING DATA nor TESTING to substantiate any alleged improvement or more likely DEGRADATION of original design performance, handling and braking capacities should the vehicle ever be in a post-bobbing fatal or incapacitating collision or mishap. In a nutshell, if you mess with the design, YOU will probably be AT FAULT in any civil liability law suit and settlement.

I would guess that this is why our friend 98G will bob a bed but NEVER a truck. Life is too short to go bankrupt for shortening a truck.

There is also CRIMINAL LIABILITY now that you have been made aware of the need for ENGINEERING ANALYSIS. Should the transcripts of these posts be introduced as evidence, NEGLIGENCE would be as good as PROVEN even before going before a jury.
Let's see, bob a truck or get personally "bobbed" in prison. Not a choice a sane individual would likely make.

Hope that helps.

Carry on.

Last edited:

Olympus

After doing more research, I forgot about my HOA. If an M931 won't fit in my shop door, I'm pretty sure I'll be force to go with a deuce.

I might be able to park an M931 on the side of my shop where it wouldn't be seen, but then it would be sitting outside in the elements every day and I don't think I'd like that.

Olympus

I guess I would have to find one with the super singles and measure it. Cutting the stack and removing the spare and crane would be easy, but I would just want to make sure that was all that needed to be done.

71DeuceAK

I'm a Deuce newbie myself with little mechanical experience but it looks decent from pictures. I'd say go look at it for sure! Ask the owner to not start it the day you go look at it. If the engine is warm when you inspect it, walk away, they're hiding something. (Unless, of course, you want a project).

To me though it looks like you could do a long-distance roadtrip home in it no problem, at least from pcitures.

MDdeuce

You will be able to find a reliable 5 ton right now easier than a deuce A3 within your budget. Lots of bobbed 5 tons start as tractors, thus no frame shortening and for investment, you get more #/$...plus auto, PS, air brakes, radials. NO CDL reqd if you are not doing commercial work either.
Driver's license requirements will vary by state. In MD any 900 series 5-ton is a CDL vehicle, and I think that is largely true for most states. The CDL requirement generally has nothing to do with use, but weight (GVWR/GCWR) and brake type. 5-tons are >26,000lbs GVWR and have full air brakes, that checks 2 CDL boxes.

MDdeuce

It looks to be in pretty good shape, might as well take a look. Looks like it has the flame heater (which often seems to cause issues), but no cab heater. Make sure you go over the brakes well, they are often neglected and can fail with no/little warning. My M35 had a bum master cylinder when I got it, it stopped fine but the secondary seal had failed and the reservoir was empty, meaning there was just barely enough brake fluid for stopping. Once it is warmed up check for blow by and seepage from the head gasket. Immediately after shutoff check the oil level to make sure it is not making oil. Also make sure the VIN on the title matches the data plate and matches the frame rail - if they don't walk away.

I'd say the price is a little high. I got my M35A2 w/w, troop seats and cargo cover for $4500 1-1/2yrs ago.

Remember a 4hr trip by car is a 6hr+ drive home in the truck!!

71DeuceAK

...But a 6 hour Deuce trip home should be an adventure you'll remember for the rest of your life. Have you ever ridden in or been behind the wheel of one before? I have been in the driver's seat myself, but it was trying to roll-start one by being towed around by a material handler forklift. (That was "exciting" in both good and bad ways, it was my first/only time driving a stick shift). I

They're definitely interesting to drive. Everything takes a little more effort to operate than a regular car. Door handles, window cranks, the clutch pedal/brakes/etc, and especially the steering. It's universally known as "Armstrong Steering" by us Deuceophiles for a reason.

They're fun trucks, though-if it's in good shape I say go for it!

tobyS

Driver's license requirements will vary by state. In MD any 900 series 5-ton is a CDL vehicle, and I think that is largely true for most states. The CDL requirement generally has nothing to do with use, but weight (GVWR/GCWR) and brake type. 5-tons are >26,000lbs GVWR and have full air brakes, that checks 2 CDL boxes.
CDL = COMMERCIAL Drivers license

You should check this out with your state police. If you are doing only your own work, like farming and not for hire, or just driving and not doing "work", then in Indiana and I understand many (I thought all per fed highway rules) others, you don't need a COMMERCIAL license. That came from my State Police Commercial Vehicle Section.

No, an empty 5 ton is not greater than 26,000. They start around 23,000 and bobbed take off about 3,000#.

Liability...don't do anything your not comfortable with or that you think is unsafe. But the warning of "negligence" and strict liability is far from being proven because a SS member says it is. You'll find plenty of opinions on both sides of that issue right here on SS. Bus springs and mounts are well engineered and so are the front springs from the deuce and 5 tons that are used on the rear. Your not re-inventing here, these parts are proven for the purpose. Nobody is suggesting that you take plate steel and make springs or even their mounts...they are well developed already...use what's available, made for the purpose. Slobbering together a piece of junk was never what you indicated you wanted. I have no stake in whether you keep a truck OEM 6x6 or make it custom. Plenty have made 4x4 to show it's a popular modification. If you want to talk rat rods, pm me so I don't offend the engineering purists.

Glad to see you have a deuce to check out. Hope he lets you drive it and you can find a 939 series too, that's where the big differences are, how they drive.

The exhaust on the 5 ton is the only thing that keeps a bed from going clear up against the cab once the spare tire, and crane are out of the way. A hole through the bed for exhaust has been done and so has going out the rear. Caution it gets really hot so keep a guard on.

The crane is the highest point. Tomorrow I'll measure my 931 with 14.00's to the top of the cab. I expect slightly over 9'.

MDdeuce

No, an empty 5 ton is not greater than 26,000. They start around 23,000 and bobbed take off about 3,000#.
True, but the GVWR of a 5-ton is ~43,000lbs (since it is rated 10-ton on road) and MD uses the rated weight for license requirements. In MD for any vehicle with a GVWR > 26,000lbs you need a CDL class A or B, or a non-commercial class A or B (if you are a farmer/not-for-hire), can't just use a "normal" class D license. But tobyS is right, you can check with your state police or DMV to be sure you are driving legally within your license, though I doubt you will have any problems with a 2.5-ton.

Sorry for the diversion.