• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

thinking of buying second mv

Katavic918

It has a Hercules MF in it with 7100 miles. Although I obviously trust mileage gauges in these trucks about as far as I can throw them. So I guess I'll get it and figure out the details later, though I'm still on the fence. I guess I could sell the deuce down the line as another option. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Katavic918

Ok I'm back from the viewing. It's not in as great shape as I thought. It's a 1960 Curtis with a continental and no air shift on the transfer. 9100 mi and 89 hours showing.

The bad:
The brake pedal goes almost to the floor before stopping.
The park brake cable is broken.
The batteries are toast.
Has a misfire on one of the cylinders.
The hard top on the cab looks like someone was jumping on it.
One Radiator mount missing
Lift pump getting power but not working

The good:
Tires are all 2006-2008 with 70-90% except for 2
No leaks in the box (it has just rained for the last week straight)
Alternator is charging
Paint and body are in good shape.

The engine has a plate on it stating a rebuild date of "8. 29". I'm guessing this might mean 29th week of 2008? Does anyone know? Oh, and the guy told me he's done zero maintenance in the 8 years he's owned it. He also said he's only put 50 miles on it in those 8 years. Not sure why some people act like this is a good thing. Anyway, for $5500, I think I'll let this one pass. Maybe I'll just save for an LMTV or a HMMWV. Anyone near MD have either of those for sale?

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Honestly? it sounds like some of the problems are pretty fixable. Parts are available (as you know).

I'd be going for it if I had the cash.

tobyS

Sounds like a lot of work on a very old truck that you are starting at retail price. Keep looking and saving.

Katavic918

Everything is def fixable. The only one that worries me is the misfire. Could be injector, hyd head, valves, head gasket, cylinder wall. I'm not paying retail price to find out. Lol.

Ok I'm back from the viewing. It's not in as great shape as I thought. It's a 1960 Curtis with a continental and no air shift on the transfer. 9100 mi and 89 hours showing.

The bad:
The brake pedal goes almost to the floor before stopping.
The park brake cable is broken.
The batteries are toast.
Has a misfire on one of the cylinders.
The hard top on the cab looks like someone was jumping on it.
One Radiator mount missing
Lift pump getting power but not working

The good:
Tires are all 2006-2008 with 70-90% except for 2
No leaks in the box (it has just rained for the last week straight)
Alternator is charging
Paint and body are in good shape.

The engine has a plate on it stating a rebuild date of "8. 29". I'm guessing this might mean 29th week of 2008? Does anyone know? Oh, and the guy told me he's done zero maintenance in the 8 years he's owned it. He also said he's only put 50 miles on it in those 8 years. Not sure why some people act like this is a good thing. Anyway, for $5500, I think I'll let this one pass. Maybe I'll just save for an LMTV or a HMMWV. Anyone near MD have either of those for sale?
Yeah that sounds like a 4k or less truck to me.

tobyS

Everything is def fixable. The only one that worries me is the misfire. Could be injector, hyd head, valves, head gasket, cylinder wall. I'm not paying retail price to find out. Lol.
It looks better in the pictures than I had envisioned. I like the newer equipment and am somewhat partial to the A3 deuce. What can you do with an off road hummer?

Katavic918

It looks better in the pictures than I had envisioned. I like the newer equipment and am somewhat partial to the A3 deuce. What can you do with an off road hummer?
Not much with an off-road one. Thanks though. Yeah it's not a bad looking truck. It's just too bad he let it sit and deteriorate.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He dropped the price to 5k. Anyone interested?
I don't think I could get $5k for it . The sprag transfer combined with the not running right put retail at $3500 to my assessment. Get it running right (likely trivial) and $5500 is retail, but no margin.

The sprag makes it hard to sell. I don't see it as that big of deal personally, but nobody wants to buy one...

Katavic918

There are HMMWVs that were legally sold and titled for road use prior to the Gov Planet sales. These are legal unless states (one has, CT I think) have reversed those actions/titles.
I was going to look into a govplanet hmmwv. So am I to understand that those cannot be tagged for on road use?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, HMMWVs currently being sold (auctioned) by GP are for off road use only. The title issued clearly states "OFF ROAD USE". One expensive four wheeler.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks