• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Third's Build Discussion

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want to keep the natural wood look (i did under my mattress) i picked up a gallon of minwax clear polyurethane and sprayed the bathroom walls as well so the plywood cant take on any moisture or smell . Everything looks great (except those senior citizen grab handles on the sides of your cab ) Go ahead and get them down ! I will pm you a address to send them for re-education !!!!!

Third From Texas

Yeah, I'll stain and clear coat all the natural finish stuff. All frame structures are getting sealed followed by gloss white Rustoleum then a coat of clear. The walls will also be gloss white with a clear coat.

I'll be sure to link you the auction for the hand rails if they come off. I was going to incorporate them into the ladders for the roof rack, but I suspect I can FUND the entire roof rack by selling them (if I can get MME pricing that is).

:)

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I'll stain and clear coat all the natural finish stuff. All frame structures are getting sealed followed by gloss white Rustoleum then a coat of clear. The walls will also be gloss white with a clear coat.

I'll be sure to link you the auction for the hand rails if they come off. I was going to incorporate them into the ladders for the roof rack, but I suspect I can FUND the entire roof rack by selling them (if I can get MME pricing that is).

:)
Ive been studying this roof rack for 2 yrs and have only come up with one new KOOL thing to do that no one else has done . And im almost ruled out ladders on the side of cab that would give others easy access to our foof so im thinking one of those tactical telescopic ladders i could get out if i needed onto the roof and they store any where and REALLY cool if you get in a bad way to get you up on other roof's for higher ground advantage ! Or if you piss off that german shepard

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ive been studying this roof rack for 2 yrs and have only come up with one new KOOL thing to do that no one else has done . And im almost ruled out ladders on the side of cab that would give others easy access to our foof so im thinking one of those tactical telescopic ladders i could get out if i needed onto the roof and they store any where and REALLY cool if you get in a bad way to get you up on other roof's for higher ground advantage ! Or if you piss off that german shepard
Never thought about that before @chucky , but having a ladder that is not attached to the truck would be really good. You could have a longer ladder that went all the way to the ground. Stepped out away from the truck so you could hustle things up on top would be infinitely better than clamoring up the side of the truck - then try to climb a ladder with one hand holding whatever you want to drag up there...

Yeah! A whole lot smarter and more useful.

If the ladder was long enough, you could climb up on top of the "box" on the back of the truck if you ever had a reason too. Something like a Little Giant maybe or a Telescoping LuisLadder?

LuisLadder Telescoping.jpg or LittleGiant.jpg

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never thought about that before @chucky , but having a ladder that is not attached to the truck would be really good. You could have a longer ladder that went all the way to the ground. Stepped out away from the truck so you could hustle things up on top would be infinitely better than clamoring up the side of the truck - then try to climb a ladder with one hand holding whatever you want to drag up there...

Yeah! A whole lot smarter and more useful.

If the ladder was long enough, you could climb up on top of the "box" on the back of the truck if you ever had a reason too. Something like a Little Giant maybe or a Telescoping LuisLadder?

View attachment 874058 or View attachment 874059
The one on the left was what im liking and opens up so many more options and the 16 footers were on sale on prime day but i didnt do it but im gona ! I use a ladder now from the ground to the top of the cab then it easy to just climb on the box from there .

Third From Texas

The one on the left was what im liking and opens up so many more options and the 16 footers were on sale on prime day but i didnt do it but im gona ! I use a ladder now from the ground to the top of the cab then it easy to just climb on the box from there .
I'm liking that idea. I don't expect to be on the roof a whole lot (most of my bikini watchig is actually done from the shade in the trailer).

I have the bed ladder for the M1082 as well as a Lowes step ladder that stows under the trailer.

But "one ladder to rule them all" might be the way to go...

20201001_192354.jpg

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm liking that idea. I don't expect to be on the roof a whole lot (most of my bikini watchig is actually done from the shade in the trailer).

I have the bed ladder for the M1082 as well as a Lowes step ladder that stows under the trailer.

But "one ladder to rule them all" might be the way to go...

View attachment 874074
I can see it now you sitting under the trailer canopy in your Santa Clause suit with the bikini girls telling you how really bad they've been this year !!! I like it !!!

coachgeo

was thinking like a Jefferson ladder. that can be locked in folded position. Most would not even know it is a ladder

commercial version which I am sure one could find way cheaper than price here

coachgeo

been hunting and I cant find it.particular ladder was looking for. ..... I know they exist. here is how it works

take this step stool .... and mount back of each step on a pivot point... say if their was angle iron parallel as wide as steps affixed to exterior cab wall. and back of step was pinned into them ... Pinned so they can pivot. Out side edge of step is pinned to bar orr?

looks like this but larger pipe of pic below would be the angle iron mounted to cab exterior wall . Thinner bar would be outer edge of step ... obvisouly more stoute..... and when folded out wold have to come to rest on a sold surface.. In pic mentally ignore the angled legs in back

step depth would be width of FMTV fender flare. Thou with contemplation wider could be done ....just would need the bar to be able to telescope all the way to the ground. ......

folded up would look like below up against exterior cab wall (Right side of pic). granted it would fold upward and back of step would be showing not face of step.

Last edited:

coachgeo

been hunting and I cant find it.particular ladder was looking for. ..... I know they exist. ...
this cart may be better example. shelves would be steps. one side fixed to cab exterior or box exterior

Third From Texas

Good plan
Thanks.

I looked at various ways of doing it (tilt up the bed to expose storage, drawers, etc). I stowed a lot of gear in army footlockers while I was testing various floorplans and layouts. They worked really well, so I went with this. I designed this so that three can fit under the bed and put up a barrier to protect the fresh water tank. The track base also makes sure nothing slides or bounces out from under the bed.

*one of the doors is off track in the pic holding up the right side and my OCD is triggered

;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks