• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This Beeker needs help with a deuce decision

Galdron

I have been lurking here for a while and pondering a heavy decision. I really do want your advice and comments. I am a beekeeper and need a flatbed truck a few times a year for moving hives, pollination services, and expansion.

I am highly considering an M35A2C as a beekeeping vehicle. I would mount a bee boom (removable bee box crane for lifting hives onto the bed). Making the bee boom is not that hard. Hives can weigh 500 lbs at harvest.

I don't really need anything fancy and I do understand that a deuce is a hobby and a love but I can not think of a better and more affordable flatbed that would allow me to place hives in National Forest, unused land of others (for a honey payment of course). I had a good year and have the money on my account to start bidding on a truck.

I am considering bidding using govliquidators.com so any advice on how reputable they are would also be some good advice.

I certainly know how to drive a deuce as I spend many years in Naval Mobil Construction Battalion 62. I had a military license for many vehicles. I am a medium mechanic and can learn anything I don't know. I make all my own hives myself and have since I started beekeeping.

I figure I would need the truck about 10 trips a year, not long trips, but the load is what matters, and being able to get on unpaved land with my little girls in tow.

Ok guys talk me out of it, what am I missing?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know a little about beekeeping and think the deuce would work fine for what you're wanting to do.

Do a search for "GL" and you'll find all you ever wanted to know about buying a truck from them. The bottom line is, there can be some good deals but they are a pain in the rear to deal with sometimes and you should inspect the truck prior to bidding to make sure you're not buying a pile of junk.

tx399999

If you want it go for it. I have never regretted getting my deuce. You might want to look into a private seller though. It's great to enjoy driving the truck while learning how to work on it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have done some work for a bee keeper. He keeps the hives in M105 trailers and drives them to the location and leaves the trailer and all. Just something else to consider. Maybe a 101 would work and you could use a deuce or pickup to move them.

roscoe

"Slow" - yes, but how fast do you want to travel with bee hives? "Gutless"??? Don't know what you mean. Mine work great with any load I've had on and off road. I say it would make a good truck for the application.[thumbzup]

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I own an interest in a Bee Farm in MN we have been using a 2 ton single axle chevy for the longest time andI believe its not got over 140K on the last overhaul and this is not to mention the over abundance of Rust that is eating the cab area. A new truck is in the budget and we are going to get a Deuce to use in this capacity, when we get the truck our plan is to take the bed off of it and we will then build our own steel bed for the truck, we can go a lot bigger than the 12x8 bed they come with. This truck will allow us to get inot the area we need to with much less fear of getting stuck and we have the hauling capacity to do anything that is required in this capacity, we think its going to be perfect for this application

Karl

bugei

it occurs to me that there is a great advantage to the dueces speed, if you left a few bees behind by accident, they could easily catch up with their hive while it was traveling on the duece.:driver:

Heavysteven

What ever you decide good luck. However make sure you understand how GL works before you bid and preview.

Also, keep in parts and service can be expensive if preformed by others.

Jimma

Go for it. It would work great and be cost effective and you wont get stuck in remote areas. There are usually numerous deuces on GL in Alabama, Georgia and SC that you could bid on.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Galdron.....I am north of you....I have a M35 that has the 1100x20 single radials on it....if you would like to come up and see it one
afternoon or weeked you would be welcome....I have a dropside bed that could be put on it in place of the regular one in it now.
It needs a good home and I need cash for a M915.
PM if interested.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like it would work to me, the only question is if the exhaust fumes would be a problem for the bees. Don't know if you would have them in the hives while transporting or how long of a ride they'd have. Just a thought.

Galdron

Thanks a ton for the advice Guys... And so.. the adventure begins. I was the high bidder on a M35A2C in South Carolina. Has 44 hours and 4383 miles on it. I will take a while for my EUC to clear so I will be sniffing the site for what to bring with me on my trip. I will bring a service vehicle driving by someone else.

I know I am not going to sleep well tonight thinking about my new girl. I also am gonna have to figure out a name for this truck as well. I will bring a camera and pic the trip for the site.

asgtoolman

Not sure which truck you got; I was watching them and there sure were some GOOD DEALS to be had today @ Eastover.
Hope yours was one of them!!
I am about 1 hour east of that site- the NG First Sargent there [can't recall his name ] is very nice and helpful. Last time I previewed deuces there, he ASSURED me they had all been driven in. Everyone I was interested in did crank. [that was the late June auction]

Last edited: