• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This could be exciting...

MDSA

Walk into work this morning and I am greeted by the biggest grin on my coworker’s face. Matt is a fellow MV enthusiast and WWII re-enactor, but he sold his MV’s a few years back when he got married. I don’t know the whole story, but you have to give him credit for putting his marriage first. However, the poor guy practically drools when he sees my MV’s. We talk about MV’s a lot, and he is always looking for a deal to get back into the hobby.

During Christmas break, Matt was helping the Boy Scouts get firewood from a guy named Alex Cobb (I think you know him Brandon) for a winter jamboree. And guess what is in this guy’s backyard? 2 M37’s and an M38! Talk about a dream come true!Matt was able to get a non-running M37 for – wait for it - $450. Matt says it’s a bit rough, but it’s all there. You can’t hardly go wrong for $450.

Tomorrow after work, we are going to recover Matt’s M37. It’s just 15 miles away. Should be an easy recovery. And I am hoping Santa has a good deal for me in that backyard. Like I said, this could be exciting…

Stay tuned for pics and more info.

AMGeneral

Was it painted white or OD green with a large 4 painted on the door Brian?

The reason I ask is because if it is either or both,I used to own both trucks.

The white one will be a 1953 model with winch and a 251 flathead vs a 230,and the OD green one will be a 1963 B1 model,still has the 230 and the 100 amp charging system and the converter out in front of the radiator.

Last edited:

AMGeneral

I am guessing it's one of these 2.

Didn't realize Alex was selling his stuff,Hmmmm.

FYI,the white truck had a WW2 combat rim on the right rear,with a NDT dated 1949.

I haven't seen either one of them since 1994,dang how time flies.

Attachments

Last edited:

MDSA

I haven't seen the trucks yet. But Matt gave the dates as you said; however, no description.

Pics tomorrow.

Mthirtyseven

Brian will have to give the details. Basically, it was freezing, the truck didn't want to unload right, and my dream was fulfilled. This makes my second M37 (sold the first one to buy my wife's wedding ring) and I am not letting this one get away! I need an I.D. on the engine though. It reads Spitfire, with the numbers 13138262, any info? Thanks to Brian and his boys for their expertise and help, and the kicker is...he got a truck too!

Attachments

AMGeneral

Congratulations mthirtyseven,

The engine in that 53 model was a 251 from a 1 ton civilian dodge truck,it had a new headgasket about 20 years ago!! FYI,that white M37 is 12 volt,not 24.

If you have any questions about it,Brian knows where I live.

I see Alex swapped the winch over to the other M37 he bought from me.

Evidently Brian bought the other one?

MDSA

Pics as promised.

Loading was easy compared to unloading Matt's. Mine is still on the trailer. Matt's has no brakes or drive shafts so we had to load on level or slightly uphill ground. Tried pulling it up with my son's Ranger - no go. The owner's son had a big chevy truck which made easy work of it. Getting Matt's off was another story. That left rear shredded tire made the rear end pull left when loading and unloading so we ended up too close to the edge. The jeep jack raised the front so we could pull the front off the edge with Matt's jeep while Stephen pulled on the rear. Finally got her over and off she rolled - kind of. That tire made it stop far short of the garage. But we grunted her in.

Attachments

MDSA

Forgot to mention that the M38 is NOT for sale. It is in the owner's garage being restored. All original drivetrain, 24 volt. Little bit of rust through, but better than the M37's. Thought the heater between the seats was novel. Even looked like it had a cigarette ash tray.

My m37 has a few items missing from the engine: distributor cap, voltage regulator, hoses, plugs and wires, air breather. Who knows what else. But pretty solid for the most part. Rolled on easily with the dually pulling. Will get it off the trailer Thursday - hopefully.

Bit hurried - want a shower - but knew some addicts needed their picture fix before too long. Will add more as I think of it.

Attachments

WarrenD

Be sure to stop by over at g741.org. Congrats to both of you on your successful recoveries.

nattieleather

Now the big question for Matt... You sold the first MV to get married....did your wife give you permission to get this one or are you going to be like...what it just followed me home..can I keep it? :lol:

Get that civy engine all fixed up and you'll have a hot-rod M37...:lol: Good save both and keep us posted on the repair/rebuilds.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks